Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

Of course, the Zanussi was always going to be restricted on how far you could go due to the length of cable on the plug. But the principle is sound.

But momentum (there's the science) could get you to the next power outlet, so you were only limited by infrastructure.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s basically the same reason they have to put concrete in the top of tumble driers.

Well I heard that the concrete in Tumble driers is for vibration Damping. I wondered why you'd want damping in something that's supposed to remove the damp. So basically the vibration makes the clothes you're drying damp, and the spinning makes them dry. The conflict between these two opposing forces must be what allows the dryer to fly - like with maglev trains using magnets.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, BOF said:

But momentum (there's the science) could get you to the next power outlet,

Momentum prevents a party from getting to power. 

(there's the political satire)

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I think a system where you could voluntarily round up your purchase and it would go to a charity of the establishment's choice would be a good system.

So you buy a coffee for 3.40 and you're given the option to make it 4.00 with the extra 60p going to whatever charity costa or starbucks or whoever has nominated.

I think certain shops and coffee shops etc have done something similar in the past. And there are apps that do it for your own personal money (i.e the same thing but the extra goes into your savings). But I think if it was more widespread it would actually be more effective than the traditional charity boxes

Don't know how hard it would be to set up

Our salary works like this - we have the option of donating the pennies to charity. I think a lot of staff do it. The money gets divided between the 6 chosen charities. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

spacer.png

12 months of local individuals litter picking bits of plastic off the beach, followed by one day of car parks being reopened so the mouth breathers do their thing.

People can be lazy bastards. 

My folks are on their local village FB page. The village covers The Wrekin, a local beauty spot. Every day they have volunteer litter pickers collecting rubbish. They post their updates every day. Last Monday, they filled 26 bin bags. This covered the weekend rubbish as well. Dirty nappies, disposable bbqs, beer bottles, wine bottles, etc. They've even seen human shit (I don't know how they know for sure?). 

Lockdown and furlough has caused people to lose any sense of responsibility for their own actions. It was never anywhere near as bad before Covid. 

5 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I'm just not comfortable with the whole leave a mess and have someone else clean up after you ..

Like the monkey nuts at Raffles in Singapore. I just found it really odd! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

Are you saying there is a mess in the worlds cleanest city?

Never went to Raffles on either of my stops in SIngapore, figured it was just a tourist trap

10 minutes ago, bickster said:

Never went to Raffles on either of my stops in SIngapore, figured it was just a tourist trap

Worth a visit, IMO. Overpriced Singapore sling, free monkey nuts and a mooch about - what's not to like?

1 minute ago, blandy said:

Worth a visit, IMO. Overpriced Singapore sling, free monkey nuts and a mooch about - what's not to like?

I was lead to believe that the Singapore sling was twice as expensive as anywhere alse and came out of a postmix gun, as opposed to being actually made like a cocktail

Didn't see the point

34 minutes ago, Xela said:

People can be lazy bastards. 

My folks are on their local village FB page. The village covers The Wrekin, a local beauty spot. Every day they have volunteer litter pickers collecting rubbish. They post their updates every day. Last Monday, they filled 26 bin bags. This covered the weekend rubbish as well. Dirty nappies, disposable bbqs, beer bottles, wine bottles, etc. They've even seen human shit (I don't know how they know for sure?). 

Lockdown and furlough has caused people to lose any sense of responsibility for their own actions. It was never anywhere near as bad before Covid. 

Bloke i used to work with on a Friday used to get the Mercury and throw it out his car window page by page on his way home

He also used to steal  the platters of sandwiches from darts matches and  bring them into work next day for his snap

Horrible word removed

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

I was lead to believe that the Singapore sling was twice as expensive as anywhere alse and came out of a postmix gun, as opposed to being actually made like a cocktail

Didn't see the point

I stayed there on my way back from Myanmar ,  I managed to blag 2 free ones on check in as it was my birthday :)

The ones I had were definitely freshly made and not a pre mix , but it might depend on how busy they are I guess 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, bickster said:

Reminds me of one of my favourite school mistakes. We did Singapore in geography one year, with stuff about how it was founded by Sir Stamford Raffles. Come the exam, there was a question about it, and naturally I remembered the bloke had a slightly silly name - and wrote all about... Sir Reginald Woolley. Which I only later remembered was the name of my mate's little brother's toy rabbit. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Xela said:

Not as odd as when you crossed the road and visited the four floors , I bet :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s centrifugal force innit.

As the plane gets faster, it moves further from the centre of the earth, hence it goes ‘up’ at take off.

As it slows down, it settles back down closer to the middle, hence it appears to land.

Similar effect to swingball.

How does this work in flat earth theory 

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Not as odd as when you crossed the road and visited the four floors , I bet :) 

I can neither confirm or deny that I spent every evening at the Ipanema nightclub in Orchard Towers. 

19 minutes ago, bickster said:

he Singapore sling was twice as expensive as anywhere else and came out of a postmix gun

Recollection is a little vague, but yeah it was definitely expensive, but I think it was made from stuff out of bottles, rather than a squirty thing. Sweet, bright pink and sickly either way.

9 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

This isn't an original thought and isn't something that hasn't already been said on this very same page, but I just think it's worth reiterating. 

If you leave your litter in the park for someone else to clean up, you're an utter scumbag who deserves to be volleyed in the jaw.

I took the little one to the park today and it's often a mess. However today when he was playing on the obstacle course bit aimed at younger kids I spotted that right under neath the two wobble ropes someone had smashed a bottle and left glass all over the place. Amazed a kid hadn't fallen off the ropes and landed on it getting seriously hurt as some bits were a good few inches long. Just don't understand how someone could purposefully smash and leave a glass bottle in a place where little kids play. 

• Like 1

Â