Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

14 hours ago, maqroll said:

I would love to do a desert rally. E-car only, of course. I wonder if they can get these vehicles to go farther on one charge than they currently can.

Solid state batteries are on the horizon. I am absolutely certain that eventually they will be able to make electric vehicles go further on a single charge than the equivalent size fuel tank.  

Solid state batteries also charge significantly faster. 

Battery technology just improves year after year after year. The internal combustion engine is about as highly developed as it's ever likely to get now. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Is there a 'good' way to tell someone that they stink?  Anyone ever done it?

Just get a few people lined up together and tell them to take one step forward if they don't stink.

If he starts to move forwards just scream at him "WHERE DO YOU THINK YOU ARE GOING?" 

It's subtle but hopefully he gets the message. 

• Haha 4

14 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I’ve had to do it a couple of times, always best to be straight to the point like HV says. I added the line in that I’d noticed and I didn’t want anyone else to pick up on it either, so best thing to do was to tell you. 

The weirdest one was when I was delivering some training, one of the delegates came to me at break and told me that this lad was picking his head and flicking bits of skin around, and also picking his nose and eating it. All while making eye contact with her! I had to explain to him why that was not acceptable, he apparently didn’t realise he was doing it. Which I can actually believe, he was a particularly odd creature. 

• Like 1

Closest thing to any of that I’ve had to deal with is a member of staff that can’t look at women’s faces.

He’s been with us for years and at first I just thought he needed a subtle ‘joke’ about ‘eyes up here’ from a couple of the female staff. But he just couldn’t / can’t help himself. It’s weird to observe him in any interaction with any female, he just talks to the chest. If there’s a team meeting and there’s this guy and women, he’s just staring at their tits.

We all do it, we all have a quick sneaky glance because that’s how many of us are wired and it’s that compulsion that allows the species to continue. But **** hell, this one guy clearly has a problem. We’ve got to the point now where it is an open joke, we’ll literally tell him that there’s a woman visiting the office later, could he do his best not to do his world famous tit stare. He laughs it off and claims he doesn’t know why this joke has stuck. We tell him it’s not really a joke. Woman arrives, and whether she is old or young, big or small, he just stares at the tits. Rinse and repeat.

• Like 1

It's someone I give a lift to work, the problem is opening the window and wearing a mask is good covid advice as well as good subtle indicators to someone that they stink, so he probably just thinks it's the former.  It probably would be kinder to just tell him.

4 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

It's someone I give a lift to work, the problem is opening the window and wearing a mask is good covid advice as well as good subtle indicators to someone that they stink, so he probably just thinks it's the former.  It probably would be kinder to just tell him.

Just hang one of these around his neck on the next commute :thumb:

6130+unKzGL._AC_SY879_.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

He’s been with us for years and at first I just thought he needed a subtle ‘joke’ about ‘eyes up here’ from a couple of the female staff. But he just couldn’t / can’t help himself. It’s weird to observe him in any interaction with any female, he just talks to the chest. If there’s a team meeting and there’s this guy and women, he’s just staring at their tits

My other half had this issue when she was a beat bobby. She is a petite girl but jumped the queue when nature came to handing out shirt potatoes. However, on one particular occasion she caught a male shift colleague gawping at her jubblies despite wearing her stab vest. So in the middle of the briefing room she said out loud "are you ogling my tits !?" The bloke went beetroot red as he'd been rumbled. She followed up by saying " I'd stare at your d**k if I could find my magnifying glass !" 

Boom. She never got bothered like that again 😂

By the way, no "pics or gtfo" replies....you're all better than that !

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Closest thing to any of that I’ve had to deal with is a member of staff that can’t look at women’s faces.

He’s been with us for years and at first I just thought he needed a subtle ‘joke’ about ‘eyes up here’ from a couple of the female staff. But he just couldn’t / can’t help himself. It’s weird to observe him in any interaction with any female, he just talks to the chest. If there’s a team meeting and there’s this guy and women, he’s just staring at their tits.

We all do it, we all have a quick sneaky glance because that’s how many of us are wired and it’s that compulsion that allows the species to continue. But **** hell, this one guy clearly has a problem. We’ve got to the point now where it is an open joke, we’ll literally tell him that there’s a woman visiting the office later, could he do his best not to do his world famous tit stare. He laughs it off and claims he doesn’t know why this joke has stuck. We tell him it’s not really a joke. Woman arrives, and whether she is old or young, big or small, he just stares at the tits. Rinse and repeat.

**** hell @chrisp65  You promised not to tell anyone. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

In all honesty I would start with something jokey like "Crikey have you not showered this morning or something? It's a bit ripe in here" 

Then make another casual comment if he turned up like it again.   He should hopefully get the message after that. 

Third time say "seriously mate you really need to shower in the morning" if he does it again.  The ice has been broken on the subject and he's not got the hints. 

There are some blokes who genuinely think applying antiperspirant is effeminate and they should smell all manly. 

Edited by sidcow

20 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

haha, reminds me of many years ago working at a car factory.

There was a new influx of starters and for thefirst time, women were employed on the track. 1987 I believe.

Anyway one of them worked just adjacent to me and she hummed something terrible. Her husband worked in the bodyshop, we were paintshop. How he couldn't smell something something so bad when sleeping with it was a mystery to us all.

Now she didn;t whiff after a hard days graft, she hummed first thing in the morning.

Then a bloke off the next track, who knew our dilemma walked across and shouted "have you told her she's got BO yet"?

She runs off track squealing and crying, never to return. We heard she got a transfer to the body shop where her (apparently) blocked-nostrils hubby worked.

Can't remember seeing her again...although back then I was rather drunk most of the time.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, sidcow said:

Solid state batteries are on the horizon. I am absolutely certain that eventually they will be able to make electric vehicles go further on a single charge than the equivalent size fuel tank.  

Solid state batteries also charge significantly faster. 

Battery technology just improves year after year after year. The internal combustion engine is about as highly developed as it's ever likely to get now. 

hmmm..

From Wiki;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_battery

Solid-state batteries are traditionally expensive to make and employ manufacturing processes thought to be difficult to scale, requiring expensive vacuum deposition equipment.[7] As a result, costs become prohibitive in consumer-based applications. It was estimated in 2012 that, based on then-current technology, a 20 Ah solid-state battery cell would cost US$100,000, and a high-range electric car would require between 800 and 1,000 of such cells.[7] Likewise, cost has impeded the adoption of solid-state batteries in other areas, such as smartphones.

32 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Hmm mmm. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaeltaylor/2020/12/15/volkswagen-evs-could-deliver-long-range-solid-state-batteries-by-2024/?sh=234154612c4e

Volkswagen EVs Could Deliver Long-Range, Solid-State Batteries By 2024

The Volkswagen Group’s $300 million investment into US solid-state battery startup QuantumScape could pay off with a 50-percent jump in EV range and coffee-stop recharging as soon as 2024.

Despite spending billions of euros to launch a fully-fledged instant range of EVs, Volkswagen still lags behind Tesla TSLA -1.5% in range, perceived as critical in the minds of Tesla fans.

But its shortfall could be switched to an insurmountable advantage by 2024, even before QuantumScape’s second phase of solid-state battery industrialization reaches its critical step.

The result could be Volkswagens, Audis, Porsches and Bentleys fitted with 450-500-mile batteries that are safer and lighter than any current lithium-ion battery and can be fully recharged in 15

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Most-read-in-2020/Toyota-s-game-changing-solid-state-battery-en-route-for-2021-debut

Toyota's game-changing solid-state battery en route for 2021 debut

Toyota's game-changing solid-state battery en route for 2021 debut
Japan's government to join forces with industry to supercharge development

TOKYO -- A trip of 500 km on one charge. A recharge from zero to full in 10 minutes. All with minimal safety concerns. The solid-state battery being introduced by Toyota promises to be a game changer not just for electric vehicles but for an entire industry.

The technology is a potential cure-all for the drawbacks facing electric vehicles that run on conventional lithium-ion batteries, including the relatively short distance traveled on a single charge as well as charging times. Toyota plans to be the first company to sell an electric vehicle equipped with a solid-state battery in the early 2020s. The world's largest automaker will unveil a prototype next year.

Pretty much every manufacturer (except Tesla) are investing big in solid state batteries. They are on the horizon. 

• Like 1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium-ion_battery

The sodium-ion battery (NIB) is a type of rechargeable battery analogous to the lithium-ion battery but using sodium ions (Na+) as the charge carriers. Its working principle and cell construction are almost identical with those of the commercially widespread lithium-ion battery types, but sodium compounds are used instead of lithium compounds.

I thought graphene was supposed to be the next game changer for batteries. Perhaps I should know more about it as I worked next to the graphene institute, but nope. I don’t even think the building was made out of graphene, which is a wasted opportunity.

4 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

I thought graphene was supposed to be the next game changer for batteries. Perhaps I should know more about it as I worked next to the graphene institute, but nope. I don’t even think the building was made out of graphene, which is a wasted opportunity.

Ahh Graphene. The wonder material which was going to change everything but 16 years later it still just seems to be the wonder material which is going to change everything........ At some point. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Ahh Graphene. The wonder material which was going to change everything but 16 years later it still just seems to be the wonder material which is going to change everything........ At some point. 

Lots of mobile phones have graphene in their touch screens, it's starting to be used more widely, you can even buy a car with graphene in the body panels (If you've got £120k and don't want any passenger seats)

Â