Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

Perhaps one of ex-servicemen can answer this: why is the British army not 'royal'? 

The Royal Navy

The Royal Marines 

The Royal Air Force 

But the army is just... the army. Why is that? 

EDIT: I'm aware that subsets of it are - the Royal Engineers, etc. - but that makes it seem even more curious. 

Edited by mjmooney

22 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Perhaps one of ex-servicemen can answer this: why is the British army not 'royal'? 

The Royal Navy

The Royal Marines 

The Royal Air Force 

EDIT: I'm aware that subsets of it are - the Royal Engineers, etc. - but that makes it seem even more curious. 

I always  thought it was back to Cromwell and the Navy supported Charles and the army was a bit more fractured with its support , more predominantly towards Cromwell

so when Charles II was given the throne he bestowed the title " Royal " on the Navy in recognition of their support  (Airforce obviously didn't get it from Charles II  :)  )

it certainly works form a timing perspective 1660

The more popular answer seems to be : 

The reason why the British Army isn’t known as “The Royal Army” is because of how it is composed. 

Unlike the Royal Navy and the Royal Air Force, the British Army consists of several clearly identifiable bodies, each of which has an individual and continuous existence and is separately recorded in the Corps Warrant.

The Corps Warrant is the formal document that legally establishes the various regiments and corps of the British Army for the purposes of the Armed Forces Act 2006.

This reflects the historical origins of these regiments or corps, which were raised on the authority of the Sovereign, usually by a named individual and by means of a royal warrant or commission granted for that purpose.

• Thanks 1

On 30/01/2021 at 12:29, Seat68 said:

It maybe a fad but cut the head off one group another 7 piece springs up in its place. I do like this though. 

Opening lyric; "shoes on, I get up in the morn, cup of milk, let's rock and roll"

As he prances about with pastel coloured hair, in pastel coloured clothes and big white shoes.

**** YOU @Seat68

YOU BIG ASSHAT. 

You may very well be the uncoolest person I've ever had the misfortune of sharing a common interest in, with. 

I'm going to clean my ears and bumhole now after that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Opening lyric; "shoes on, I get up in the morn, cup of milk, let's rock and roll"

As he prances about with pastel coloured hair, in pastel coloured clothes and big white shoes.

**** YOU @Seat68

YOU BIG ASSHAT. 

You may very well be the uncoolest person I've ever had the misfortune of sharing a common interest in, with. 

I'm going to clean my ears and bumhole now after that. 

Ha. You aren’t the first to say it. You won’t be the last. 

• Haha 2

On 30/01/2021 at 12:47, mjmooney said:

Just checked 'em out on YouTube, and... nope.

I was aware of both bands' existence - my daughter had a No Doubt album, but I never heard it. Only thing I know by James is "Sit Down". 

Bit surprised by that, even for a Mooney ;)

Don't Speak was genuinely one of the biggest songs of the 90's from my memory. I'm surprised you didn't hear it a lot just by accident. It was everywhere

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mjmooney said:

The Royal Air Force 

The RAF started out as a branch (Corps) of the Army - the Royal Flying Corps, which later morphed into its own Service - the RAF.

Dunno 'bout the boat people though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Don't Speak was genuinely one of the biggest songs of the 90's from my memory. I'm surprised you didn't hear it a lot just by accident. It was everywhere

it did reach number one on the Hot 100 Airplay chart for sixteen weeks.[4] Outside the United States, it topped the charts in Australia, Canada, Iceland, the Netherlands, New Zealand, the Republic of Ireland and the United Kingdom, becoming No Doubt's most successful international single. "Don't Speak" was nominated for Song of the Year and Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals at the 40th Grammy Awards.[5][6]

Wiki

31 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah, it does seem as though I should have heard it, but no, it was genuinely unfamiliar. 'Sit Down' on the other hand, I think I've heard many hundreds of times. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Or skip the pop but keep the hot ladies...

https://youtu.be/Uds7g3M-4lQ

lyrics aside , I don't mind that ... Mrs H does a rock project type thing with her friends , I've just suggested they give that one a go , was going to suggest babymetal for them but I'm not sure if they could carry that look off :)

On 27/01/2021 at 04:40, useless said:

Badgers can be quite dangerous, and can be a lot bigger than some realise, I saw a dead one displayed on the side of a road the size of a rottweiler, probably bigger to be honest, only difference was that it had short legs. I've heard that if they bite you they don't let go until they hear a bone snap, so the trick if one of them gets a hold of you is to snap a branch to get them to let go.

I'm a bit late to the party here, but another myth about badgers is that they're good at football:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

What would my reaction be if I actually heard posters on VT speak?  I think when I read posts I generally hear them in my mind as though they were being spoken by an American using British idiom.  I suspect my overall mental picture of people on here would be different.   Perhaps I'll try reading posts out loud using a poor attempt at a Brum accent to see.   Or I'll just imagine it's Grealish saying it.   Would that be accurate?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, il_serpente said:

What would my reaction be if I actually heard posters on VT speak?  I think when I read posts I generally hear them in my mind as though they were being spoken by an American using British idiom.  I suspect my overall mental picture of people on here would be different.   Perhaps I'll try reading posts out loud using a poor attempt at a Brum accent to see.   Or I'll just imagine it's Grealish saying it.   Would that be accurate?

Unless I’ve imagined it, I think we’ve actually had a “what do you sound like” thread before. I even think some managed to link audio recordings of them speaking. 

I guess your assumption could be reasonably fair. It depends on how adept you are at picking up on the subtle differences. I think I’ve said before about speaking to some women from New York with my mates, and there being another set of blokes there all from Barnsley. The girls from New York couldn’t hear the difference between the West Mids and Yorkshire accents, to them it was just English. Similarly my ex’s friends (from Bristol) all think I sound quite the brummie and I’ve never lived in Birmingham.

It’s funny you mention it though, I was only thinking the other night about whether I attribute different voices to posters.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Unless I’ve imagined it, I think we’ve actually had a “what do you sound like” thread before. I even think some managed to link audio recordings of them speaking. 

I guess your assumption could be reasonably fair. It depends on how adept you are at picking up on the subtle differences. I think I’ve said before about speaking to some women from New York with my mates, and there being another set of blokes there all from Barnsley. The girls from New York couldn’t hear the difference between the West Mids and Yorkshire accents, to them it was just English. Similarly my ex’s friends (from Bristol) all think I sound quite the brummie and I’ve never lived in Birmingham.

It’s funny you mention it though, I was only thinking the other night about whether I attribute different voices to posters.

I think you are right. We did have a what do you sound like thread of some description. 
I don’t sound West Midlands at all, in my head but I believe I am “a shitty mix of Telford and Staffordshire” thats what my mate from Cheshire says. 

I do find it amusing that American women seem to find the Brummie accent rather cute and sexy. In the UK it's probably the most ridiculed and reviled accent of all. For a US comparison, think 'dumb hillbilly'. 

My Brummie has been neutralised almost (but not quite) out of existence, after nearly fifty years away. It's now a sort of neutral RP with bits of Yorkshire. There was a recording on here some years ago from when I was on a radio quiz show. 

what we dont do is write the way we talk so i think a lot of the slang and colloquialisms might come as a shock, especially those of us that lean towards the black country

i watched grealish yesterday in an england video with declan rice, he talks in a way that i dont, both in terms in which side of the city he originates from and his age and therefore slang 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Conversely to my ear there is only 4 US accents.

New York, Boston, Deep South, then everything else is just American.  I'm sure there's major differences throughout though.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Conversely to my ear there is only 4 US accents.

New York, Boston, Deep South, then everything else is just American.  I'm sure there's major differences throughout though.

Oh yeah it’s not a one way thing at all. I doubt I could tell you if someone came from Michigan or Iowa from their accent alone, for instance.

To add to your list of US accents, I think that there’s a New Jersey accent I might be able to pick out. And because of “Fargo” I could tell you a Minnesota accent. Beyond that, I’m struggling.

5 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Oh yeah it’s not a one way thing at all. I doubt I could tell you if someone came from Michigan or Iowa from their accent alone, for instance.

To add to your list of US accents, I think that there’s a New Jersey accent I might be able to pick out. And because of “Fargo” I could tell you a Minnesota accent. Beyond that, I’m struggling.

New York/New Jersey

Boston

Minnesota/Wisconsin

'The south'

Texas

California 

That's it for me.

• Like 1

Â