Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

On 28/01/2021 at 00:29, useless said:

It's probably false, as I can't think why a badger would evolve to have such a function, unless it's some sort of defense left over from the days when they shared the land with predators such as wolves and bears, but even that seems doubtful. I can well believe that they're vicious enough though.

Could be because they don't see all that well, if they feel threatened they just fight til they hear a crack and think 'well they're ****' and move on.

In the seventies, eighties, nineties, and even for some of the noughties, there was lots of wonderful pop music, each 'Now That's What I call Music' release was full of timeless classics that have endured the test of time and changing tastes.

35 minutes ago, useless said:

In the seventies, eighties, nineties, and even for some of the noughties, there was lots of wonderful pop music, each 'Now That's What I call Music' release was full of timeless classics that have endured the test of time and changing tastes.

So, what do you wonder? 

Why there hasn't been as much well crafted pop music over the last ten or so years. Or perhaps I should rather say that I wonder why there isn't as much pop music with as broad of an appeal that there used to be.

Edited by useless

10 minutes ago, useless said:

Why there hasn't been as much well crafted pop music over the last ten or so years.

That’s a good point, there was loads of big pop groups from the 90’s to the late naughties like the Spice Girls, S-Club, Girls Aloud, Westlife, Boyzone, Take That, Atomic Kitten, Sugababes, loads more that I’ve forgotten. Since One Direction nobody has really come in has there?

Did X-Factor kill that type of manufactured pop?

I think the kind of youngsters that might have been interested in being in bands like The Spice Girls, Take That and so on back in the day are possibly now more interesed in being things like tiktok stars or youtubers. Was surprised to learn recently that a lot of the big youtube stars have big money behind them and are manufactured in exactly the same way, some pop groups are.

19 minutes ago, Genie said:

That’s a good point, there was loads of big pop groups from the 90’s to the late naughties like the Spice Girls, S-Club, Girls Aloud, Westlife, Boyzone, Take That, Atomic Kitten, Sugababes, loads more that I’ve forgotten. Since One Direction nobody has really come in has there?

Did X-Factor kill that type of manufactured pop?

Little mix is the only other one I’m aware of, but of course they’re from X factor themselves.

Boy bands/girl bands will come back around again in some form or another eventually. 

Edit - oh I know of “fifth harmony” (I think?) but that’s only because of the one member’s solo “Havana, Havana....” song.

Edited by Mark Albrighton

Another thing that I wonder about music and other things that can be manufactured, is that do they exist only when they've been brought into existence, or do they exist beforehand as of yet unrealized, waiting as a sort of latent potential to be brought to life.

@useless there has been well crafted pop music. People labour over the past as they like nostalgia. The last ten years has seen great pop like Black Magic by Little Mix, Baby by Bieber or even Shake it off by Taylor Swift. I could go on as it exists and its out there. Some great pop being created by Dr Luke, Shellback and Max Martin. I am genuinely passionate about modern pop music. 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

I know there's still some good pop music but it's less prevalent these days, and I'm not really talking in relation to my own personal taste but that of music listeners in general. If you were to go over all the number one records from the eighties and nineties I bet most of the songs that you would come across would be songs that almost everyone knows of, and it wasn't just typical boy bands or girl bands making this type of 'pop music' but also MOR bands like Simply Red, UB40, Texas, The Beautiful South and so on producing pop hits, you don't really get those type of groups anymore and if you do they're aren't producing music that is as well liked by the public.

I choose a random 'Now That's What I call Music' compilation and came up with Volume 36, and this was the tracklist...

Mama Spice Girls

Say What You Want Texas

Alone The Bee Gees

Don't Marry Her The Beautiful South

Don't Speak No Doubt

Your Woman White Town

Remember Me The Blueboy

Virtual Insanity Jamiroquai

One And One Robert Miles featuring Maria Nayler

Spinning The Wheel George Michael

Horny Mark Morrison

Natural Peter Andre

Love Guaranteed Damage

Don't You Love Me Eternal

Walk On By Gabrielle

I Can Make You Feel Good Kavana

Hey Child East 17

A Different Beat Boyzone

Anywhere For You Backstreet Boys

The Day We Find Love 911

Discotheque U2

Breathe The Prodigy

Block Rockin' Beats The Chemical Brothers

Nancy Boy Placebo

What Do You Want From Me Monaco

Everyday Is A Winding Road Sheryl Crow

Beetlebum Blur

She's A Star James

Wide Open Space Mansun

Free Me Cast

Dark Clouds Space

Waterloo Sunset Cathy Dennis

Everybody Knows (Except You) The Divine Comedy

Indestructible Alishas Attic

Shout Ant & Dec

You Got The Love The Source featuring Candi Staton

Encore Une Fois Sash!

Bellissima DJ Quicksilver

Flash BBE

Passion Amen UK

Most of those songs most people know, regardless of whether they like them or not, and the same would true for most volumes in the series around that era in the 90s and going back into the 80s.

4 minutes ago, useless said:

I know there's still some good pop music but it's less prevalent these days, and I'm not really talking in relation to my own personal taste but that of music listeners in general. If you were to go over all the number one records from the eighties and nineties I bet most of the songs that you would come across would be songs that almost everyone knows of, and it wasn't just typical boy bands or girl bands making this type of 'pop music' but also MOR bands like Simply Red, UB40, Texas, The Beautiful South and so on producing pop hits, you don't really get those type of groups anymore and if you do they're aren't producing music that is as well liked by the public.

I choose a random 'Now That's What I call Music' compilation and came up with Volume 36, and this was the tracklist...

Mama Spice Girls

Say What You Want Texas

Alone The Bee Gees

Don't Speak No Doubt

Your Woman White Town

Remember Me The Blueboy

One And One Robert Miles featuring Maria Nayler

Spinning The Wheel George Michael

Horny Mark Morrison

Natural Peter Andre

Love Guaranteed Damage

Don't You Love Me Eternal

Walk On By Gabrielle

I Can Make You Feel Good Kavana

Hey Child East 17

A Different Beat Boyzone

Anywhere For You Backstreet Boys

The Day We Find Love 911

Discotheque U2

Breathe The Prodigy

Nancy Boy Placebo

What Do You Want From Me Monaco

Beetlebum Blur

She's A Star James

Wide Open Space Mansun

Free Me Cast

Dark Clouds Space

Waterloo Sunset Cathy Dennis

Everybody Knows (Except You) The Divine Comedy

Indestructible Alishas Attic

Shout Ant & Dec

You Got The Love The Source featuring Candi Staton

Encore Une Fois Sash!

Bellissima DJ Quicksilver

Flash BBE

Passion Amen UK

Most of those songs most people know, regardless of whether they like them or not, and the same would true for most volumes in the series around that era in the 90s and going back into the 80s.

I knew two of them (Beautiful South and Cheryl Crowe). And I assume Waterloo Sunset is a cover of the Kinks' song. 

But then, I'm 66.  :)

That compilation was released in 1997, I know these

Mama Spice Girls

Say What You Want Texas

Alone The Bee Gees

Don't Speak No Doubt

Your Woman White Town

Breathe The Prodigy

Nancy Boy Placebo

Beetlebum Blur

She's A Star James

Wide Open Space Mansun

And I suspect I would know some of the others if I heard them, and I imagine that the average person on the street would know most of the songs as well.

15 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I knew two of them (Beautiful South and Cheryl Crowe). And I assume Waterloo Sunset is a cover of the Kinks' song. 

But then, I'm 66.  :)

I think you’d know “Don’t Speak” by No Doubt (that was a huge, huge hit) and “She’s a star” by James (one of their best, IMO). 

Perhaps this ties into this discussion, or maybe it’s the point being asked, in 2014, forty years after it was released I think a lot of people knew the song “Waterloo”regardless of their age. What I wonder is will a similar proportion of people know “Shake it off” by Taylor Swift in 2054 when it reaches it’s 40th anniversary?

My gut reaction is no, but then in the mid seventies was it obvious that ABBA would still be spoken about half a century later? I know you and some of the others who were around then will be able to answer. My mum gives me the impression that ABBA were considered fairly naff at the time.

Thats fair @useless but put a recent compilation in front a young person and they would say that the tracks are stone cold classics. We look at old compilations and think every single one is a classic. The generation that the latest Nows are aimed at will look at the latest Now in the same way someone older might look at Now 15 etc. As we get older we, myself included to a degree. We become our parents and say call that music, it hasnt even got a tune. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Thats fair @useless but put a recent compilation in front a young person and they would say that the tracks are stone cold classics. We look at old compilations and think every single one is a classic. The generation that the latest Nows are aimed at will look at the latest Now in the same way someone older might look at Now 15 etc. As we get older we, myself included to a degree. We become our parents and say call that music, it hasnt even got a tune. 

hey arnold nicksplat GIF

• Haha 1

Â