Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

On 12/01/2021 at 17:30, mjmooney said:

There's a book to be written on goal celebrations. My Dad was of the generation that believed anything beyond a handshake was ostentatious and unmanly. 

And he would be right.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I work nights and have to drive to work and back in the dark and keep seeing deer in the road, so I was wondering what animal is top of the food chain in the UK (not including humans obviously)?  I had to emergency stop last night because I saw one at the last minute and tweaked my hamstring a bit.  I just think some sort of predator would do the deer some good and give them a bit more urgency, a semi-big cat for example.

16 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I work nights and have to drive to work and back in the dark and keep seeing deer in the road, so I was wondering what animal is top of the food chain in the UK (not including humans obviously)?  I had to emergency stop last night because I saw one at the last minute and tweaked my hamstring a bit.  I just think some sort of predator would do the deer some good and give them a bit more urgency, a semi-big cat for example.

Yeah that’s all very well, but I know full well it’s going to be my tyres that are gonna be clawed to kingdom come after you’ve introduced the Beast of Bodmin to the local green space.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Yeah that’s all very well, but I know full well it’s going to be my tyres that are gonna be clawed to kingdom come after you’ve introduced the Beast of Bodmin to the local green space.

Piss on your tyres, well known cat repellant

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I dont think anything could take out a healthy Deer. Interestingly just now on the Chatsworth documentary they were talking about a stag that was killing sheep. 

I guess the top predators we have would be birds, Golden Eagle maybe. 

I suppose the fox would be the top mammal if you exclude sheep killing Deer. 

We really don't have much dangerous stuff do we. 

There are some boars released in restricted areas, they can be pretty tough if attacked. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sidcow said:

I dont think anything could take out a healthy Deer. Interestingly just now on the Chatsworth documentary they were talking about a stag that was killing sheep. 

I guess the top predators we have would be birds, Golden Eagle maybe. 

I suppose the fox would be the top mammal if you exclude sheep killing Deer. 

We really don't have much dangerous stuff do we. 

There are some boars released in restricted areas, they can be pretty tough if attacked. 

Not exactly roaming free but it could help lead to it... 

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jul/16/bears-and-wolves-to-coexist-in-uk-woods-in-conservation-project

"Bears and wolves to coexist in UK woods for first time in 1,000 years

Bear Wood near Bristol aims to spark debate about rewilding of ancient woodlands"

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Would a Scottish Wildcat beat a fox in a fight? 

I would say no. Opinion not based on fact. A scotch wildcat is a bit bigger than a fat moggy, foxes, are a bit tasty when cornered. 

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

Not exactly roaming free but it could help lead to it... 

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jul/16/bears-and-wolves-to-coexist-in-uk-woods-in-conservation-project

"Bears and wolves to coexist in UK woods for first time in 1,000 years

Bear Wood near Bristol aims to spark debate about rewilding of ancient woodlands"

Oh great, I can see where this is leading...

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

I would say no. Opinion not based on fact. A scotch wildcat is a bit bigger than a fat moggy, foxes, are a bit tasty when cornered. 

I'd say yes. Cats fight dirty. Some years ago somebody did a study with infrared cameras of the nocturnal interactions of cats (domestic cats, mind you) and urban foxes - I think it was done in Bristol. Whenever there was an actual scrap, it didn't last long, and the fox was invariably sent packing. Most often, there was a standoff, and again, the fox usually backed off. A lot of it was psychology, but it seems that foxes are very wary of cats. Speaking as a human, if I had to choose to fight either a fox or Scottish wildcat, I'd prefer to take my chances with the fox. Those feral moggies are built like brick shithouses. 

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'd say yes. Cats fight dirty. Some years ago somebody did a study with infrared cameras of the nocturnal interactions of cats (domestic cats, mind you) and urban foxes - I think it was done in Bristol. Whenever there was an actual scrap, it didn't last long, and the fox was invariably sent packing. Most often, there was a standoff, and again, the fox usually backed off. A lot of it was psychology, but it seems that foxes are very wary of cats. Speaking as a human, if I had to choose to fight either a fox or Scottish wildcat, I'd prefer to take my chances with the fox. Those feral moggies are built like brick shithouses. 

This is a fair point. I was basing off size, a moggy is mental, a wildcat is another level, a scotch wildcat is slightly less aggressive than begby out of trainspotting. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

We need another world cup. 

I always wonder if England actually won a WC (again) how long it would shut the country down for?

2022 world cup final is December 18th. If we won I wonder how many people would go back to work for a week for Christmas

• Like 1

Badgers can be quite dangerous, and can be a lot bigger than some realise, I saw a dead one displayed on the side of a road the size of a rottweiler, probably bigger to be honest, only difference was that it had short legs. I've heard that if they bite you they don't let go until they hear a bone snap, so the trick if one of them gets a hold of you is to snap a branch to get them to let go.

7 minutes ago, useless said:

Badgers can be quite dangerous, and can be a lot bigger than some realise, I saw a dead one displayed on the side of a road the size of a rottweiler, probably bigger to be honest, only difference was that it had short legs. I've heard that if they bite you they don't let go until they hear a bone snap, so the trick if one of them gets a hold of you is to snap a branch to get them to let go.

And if they're still not convinced, put your arm in a sling.

• Like 2

Â