Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

I've been buying mix mag (club culture music magazine) since 1992. Barely missed an issue. Went to buy this months but no free cd on the cover (download only) and it costs £4.99. I like the CDs to listen to in the car. Tbh I don't recognise all the djs / artists mentioned either so maybe it's time I gave up the ghost! 

I also recently signed up to 3 issues of runners world and men's health for £3. My wife recently informed me that they are still in the wrapper (they were delivered around a month ago!) 

Mixmag bloody hell is that still going? I remember that and DJ Mag, back in the day, top 100 DJs list each year with BT being at least top five each year despite never playing or releasing a tune, good times

Your mother has to be Jewish to be considered a Jew, I think. Don't know about converts.

Most practicing Jews will say that there is no such thing as a convert in Judaism. You either are, or are not Jewish. Only the most refformed would believe in being a 'jewish convert'

Jews have won a total of 41% of all the Nobel Prizes in economics, that's very impressive for being 0.2 of the worlds population.

That's from wikipedia btw, dont know if that count as a good source around here.

I think the reason behind this is twofold: Judaism has, historically, possessed one of the most highly developed sets of written laws and ethical practices governing the handling money (see the Tanakh). Secondly, the gentiles, especially in the Middle Ages, so oppressed, segregated, and mistreated European Jews, in so many dozens of ways, but they also pushed them towards certain professions -- the practice of banking was allowed while many others weren't. Given the obstacles set before them and their scriptural traditions, IMO the Jewish people made the best of an unfair situation and deeply studied economics -- and flourished.

Tragically, in the 19th century, esp. in Germany, this "success" made Jewish people a target -- and it got worse, as we all know, in the last century. I just read the controversial book Hitler's Willing Executioners by Daniel Goldhagen, and it contains an excellent history of Jewish European history; the above comes mostly from my reading of that. 

But I think we always need to be very careful in ascribing any negative or "positive" stereotypes to any group people, which we see in sport, of course. It's a short leap from there to some very dangerous thinking.

If it is going to end, I'd prefer it to be this morning rather than this evening.

I've got a stupid deadline to do some tricky work and I'm at the mercy of others for loads of the deadline points through the day. So stress will be a 'thing' today.

So yeah, don't make me stress all day then game over at 7:00pm, that would not be ideal.

I guess the threat is pretty much over now, so I can't use it as an excuse to just not do the work either. Worst of both worlds.

• Like 1

Jews have won a total of 41% of all the Nobel Prizes in economics, that's very impressive for being 0.2 of the worlds population.

That's from wikipedia btw, dont know if that count as a good source around here.

I think that the obsession with Nobel Prizes in economics and millionaires is a bit too near to the international Jewish conspiracy theory to be comfortable.

But setting those doubts aside it has to said that the Jewish contribution in all fields is disproportionately great.

Reading books like The Great Escape: Nine Jews Who Escaped Hitler and Changed the World, you cannot but be impressed.

Some of the more well-known of the nine who fled Hungary included: Teller, Von Neumann (physics and computing), Korda and Curtiz (movies) and Koestler (author).

As to why Jews disproportionately excel is a mystery, and Jews themselves will dispute suggestions that it is anything to do with genes (for obvious reasons), but I suspect that the reasons are both genetic and cultural. 

without starting a new thread as i dont think its worth it, but what are your favourite album covers? whether you like the album or not what vinyl artwork really catches your eye and what album covers really represent a album well in terms of setting the vibe and mood of the album. also what album covers do you dislike and the same again what album artwork does not really go with the theme of the album. feel free to post pictures(i cant because for some reason it wont allow me)

i'll start things off with a obvious one from me, Black Sabbath's self titled debut. for me the artwork on this sets the tone perfectly for what awaits you on the album and i really think it was of the best album covers ever. i love the way its so hauntingly beautiful and mysterious without being cheesy or too hammer horror. it makes a big impact on you before you even flick the needle onto the vinyl.

few more from me but thats one that comes straight to me.

• Like 1

When will leeds be back in the PL, they are to big for the championship.

why are they? dont get me wrong they are imo the biggest club in the championship and id like to see them come back up. same goes with sheff weds,forest,wolves. any team that spends that amount of time in the lower leagues are not too big for it. huge fanbase though.

without starting a new thread as i dont think its worth it, but what are your favourite album covers? whether you like the album or not what vinyl artwork really catches your eye and what album covers really represent a album well in terms of setting the vibe and mood of the album. also what album covers do you dislike and the same again what album artwork does not really go with the theme of the album. feel free to post pictures(i cant because for some reason it wont allow me)

i'll start things off with a obvious one from me, Black Sabbath's self titled debut. for me the artwork on this sets the tone perfectly for what awaits you on the album and i really think it was of the best album covers ever. i love the way its so hauntingly beautiful and mysterious without being cheesy or too hammer horror. it makes a big impact on you before you even flick the needle onto the vinyl.

few more from me but thats one that comes straight to me.

I think that that would make a really good thread.

• Like 2

When will leeds be back in the PL, they are to big for the championship.

why are they? dont get me wrong they are imo the biggest club in the championship and id like to see them come back up. same goes with sheff weds,forest,wolves. any team that spends that amount of time in the lower leagues are not too big for it. huge fanbase though.

I have always seen them as a big club with huge and passionate fan base, I know alot of older guys here in sweden that support them aswell, i much rather see them in the PL than teams such as norwich or watford.

Leeds are a pretty good example of why there's no such thing as being too big for any division. If you're run poorly enough then you can end up anywhere. The reverse is true too to an extent, although it's obviously far easier to do a crap job than a brilliant one.

It's also why I despise the fucktards who say "It's better we go down for a year so we can get back up a stronger team" or something like it.

It's NEVER better to drop a division.

• Like 2

Â