Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

I eat a facsimile of chips all the time, they are slimming world chips and therefore the only thing they have in common with chips are that they are made of potato. I wonder why all the best tasting things are bad for me. 

Aunt Bessie's home style chips used to be the bollocks. Now they taste like McCain's.

I bake my own. Cut chips shapes out of Maris Pipers, par-boil, in a pan with a load of olive oil and salt and pepper, bake on 220 for 25 mins job done.

The humble chip has definitely been the victim of gentrification.

But as I heard myself telling someone the other day, that I was getting fed-up with quail, the trend seems to be inescapable.

Heston Blumenthal also chooses Maris Piper and even goes so far as to cook his chips three times.

Of course the next question is where do we place the chip-shop chip, which is a thing all of its own, on the pantheon?

I notice some people just don't think home-cooked chips of any description come anywhere near.

I do love a chip that's cooked thrice or twice.  They seem to be extra crispy on the outside, but still fluffy in the middle.  Chip chop chips come next, as long as it's a decent chippy, which rules out most chips shops south of Stoke.  Next are home deep-fried chips, then home made cooked in the oven chips.  Frozen chips of any persuasion are foul.  The absolute nadir of chippery though are microwave chips.

I do love a chip that's cooked thrice or twice.  They seem to be extra crispy on the outside, but still fluffy in the middle.  Chip chop chips come next, as long as it's a decent chippy, which rules out most chips shops south of Stoke.  Next are home deep-fried chips, then home made cooked in the oven chips.  Frozen chips of any persuasion are foul.  The absolute nadir of chippery though are microwave chips.

OMG!

I had forgotten those little horrors. 

Bring on the gentrification.  :)

Chips - meh, fries - bloody lovely.

That threatens to open up a whole new area of controversy, because there is a definite dividing line between devotees of the fat and the thin chip and strong opinions are likely to follow.

I have heard it suggested that there is a North-South divide on this issue.

Vinegar is disgusting.

Not only does it completely mask the taste of chips with a horrible, overwhelming taste... but it also makes them horribly soggy, taking away the texture.

I don't understand it. It's like being served a sandwich and then dipping it in wine and eating.

• Like 1

If one must have chips, then one must drench the chips with vinegar.

One simply must, but what sort of vinegar?

Must it be that brown stuff which is produced by the petrochemical industry, much adored by traditionalist, or must one seek out something more organic? 

Â