Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

Have you ever seen the rain?

I've only seen it through the grapevine, when I ran through the Jungle.

Up around the bend?

It came out of the sky. Who'll stop it? 

I was walking across the car park of a motorway services earlier in the week when a spiv drove up to me and began his patter:

'scuse me, I wouldn't normally do this, I'm gonna be a bit cheeky.....'

He then went on at breakneck speed to explain he had been all day at a sales event flogging S Class Mercs to the rich. His job had been to offer trinkets and inducements to those lucky rich punters. However, at the close of the event he still had a couple of watches left. Rather than take them back to base he had permission off his boss to just flog them off. List price £500, bottom line break even price £280. BUT, today, just today he could let me have his last one for £150.

Me: Nah, sorry, nice patter but not interested.

Him: Don't be a mug, take it off me for £100

Me: very entertaining, I'm not buying a watch in a car park for £100

Him: ok, how much you got?

Me: bye!

So, what I'm wondering is - what's the scam? No watch in the final box? Watch is worth a fiver? Watch is nicked? I've missed out on a £500 watch?

I was walking across the car park of a motorway services earlier in the week when a spiv drove up to me and began his patter:

He then went on at breakneck speed to explain he had been all day at a sales event flogging S Class Mercs to the rich. His job had been to offer trinkets and inducements to those lucky rich punters. However, at the close of the event he still had a couple of watches left. Rather than take them back to base he had permission off his boss to just flog them off. List price £500, bottom line break even price £280. BUT, today, just today he could let me have his last one for £150.

So, what I'm wondering is - what's the scam? No watch in the final box? Watch is worth a fiver? Watch is nicked? I've missed out on a £500 watch?

No way have you missed out on a five hundred pound watch. Nicked or he would have switched the boxes on you.

I'd say it's possibly no watch at all, but more likely a very cheap copy from the Far East, that would fool you long enough for him to jump in his car and leg it down to the next service station.  Somebody I know has a dodgy 'Breitling' he bought in Thailand for $20.  From a distance it looks OK, but if you pick it up you can tell straightaway.

You missed out on the best blowjob of your life?

tbf that would have to be a very good blowie

Was the watch you were trying to sell him laced with Rohypnol ?

the story is slightly longer, at one point he nearly got aggressive, he got a watch out of a box and I said it was way to big and chunky and not my style. He very quickly said that's because it's a mans watch, are you a man or a pussy?

from there he insisted I held it to feel the quality

he had copies of glossy magazines with adverts for the watch and even offered a guarantee!

my best guess is that I'd have been buying an empty box

the story is slightly longer, at one point he nearly got aggressive, he got a watch out of a box and I said it was way to big and chunky and not my style. He very quickly said that's because it's a mans watch, are you a man or a pussy?

he had copies of glossy magazines with adverts for the watch and even offered a guarantee!

Bloody hell. Is innuendo your second tongue or was that carefully constructed? :)

• Like 2

Was the watch you were trying to sell him laced with Rohypnol ?

You need to rethink your technique, Tony. :)

Few years ago but this sounds like your scam

http://www.fiatforum.com/leisure-lounge/108252-claude-valentini-watch-scam.html

I had somebody try the same one on me a few years back. In all seriusness I was worried he was going to take the contents of my pockets regardless. I can't remember where I was but I was alone. If he'd wanted to he could have stabbed me in the face...

See what I did there? Good huh?

Â