Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

22 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Probably too late now, I've done uni and worked my way up so I do OK financially now but have the bills to go with it, I can't really afford to change career and take a dip especially wife a 1 year old and a wife currently not working, would take a lot of planning and to be honest is something I think I would gamble with in brum but not here 

Was thinking maybe an additional one, a masters or short course in evenings to prove you can work in the industry, I get it though I don’t think I could do it myself. Maybe aim for somewhere halfway inbetween to get that industry in,  most places will look for a recognisable name on the CV.

On 09/05/2021 at 09:51, sidcow said:

So we've had this squirrel baffle for about a year now.  This morning for the very first time (bearing in mind I'm working from home overlooking where it is) is the first time I've even seen a squirrel trying to attack it. 

Failed twice so far. 

I think it's a young squirrel, doesn't look very big. 

I saw it sitting on the arm of a garden bench that's near ish to it yesterday sizing up a jump, but the bench is deliberately too far away. 

It's attempt today has been to shinny up the pole and try to jump backwards off it and grab the side of the baffle, which then obviously tips and it can't get purchase. 

It's 100% the best way of stopping them, just need to ensure it's high enough up the pole and far enough from a jumping point. 

And so the latest news, the little critter is persisting. 

Sat on a hanging basked bracket which is CLEARLY too far away, kept staring at it for a while, then started rocking back and forwards on his feet like he was about to leap before chickening out. 

After repeating this for about 5 minutes he then went back to the pole and started leaning back off it to grab the the sides of the baffle. Took him 4 go's before he realised no way could he climb up it. 

Sorry if this is boring but It's the most entertainment I've had in 12 months. 

I always wonder how i'd cope if my life took a huge turn for the worst. You see people sleeping rough who are there because of gambling addictions or drug addictions, when years previously they probably owned their own home. I was reading a story the other day about a woman in her 50's, who was the victim of a 'romance scam'. She had lost all her life savings, plus had taken out huge loans and was now staring bankruptcy in the face. 

How do people recover from that? How do people get the strength to start again so late in life? I'm not sure i'd be strong enough. 

• Like 2

You know when you see lorry drivers wave to each other, or beep their horn, acknowledge each other in some way...

How well do they know each other, their working dynamic? Do they only acknowledge lorries from the same haulage company? 

I can imagine it with bus drivers. There’s a depot, they do the same routes, the geography is on a smaller scale. There is an “on the buses” style community.

Is it essentially the same with lorry drivers but on a larger scale and more greasy spoons?

8 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

You know when you see lorry drivers wave to each other, or beep their horn, acknowledge each other in some way...

How well do they know each other, their working dynamic? Do they only acknowledge lorries from the same haulage company? 

I can imagine it with bus drivers. There’s a depot, they do the same routes, the geography is on a smaller scale. There is an “on the buses” style community.

Is it essentially the same with lorry drivers but on a larger scale and more greasy spoons?

I drive a Hymer motorhome. Its a 1989 Motorhome. Its considered a classic. 

cars. **** all. 
caravan. **** them guys. 
motorhome. Finger lifted off the steering wheel. 
Modern Hymer Motorhome. A full wave. 
Classic Hymer Motorhome. Frantic waving and if needed speeding up motorways so as to pass along side them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Usually its ones from the same company. You see it on the M54 a lot with the Culina / CML / Morgan McClernon lorries. They'll be operating out of the same depots (Telford and Market Drayton)

Plus a lot of lorry drivers move around companies a lot - there is a big shortage at the moment due to lack of people taking their test / training over the last 14 months combined with Brexit issues and older drivers retiring. They can move companies fairly easily for more money. A lot of drivers are being paid big money for construction/plant haulage now as HS2 ramps up. Your normal haulage company can't compete with the money the infrastructure companies/contractors will pay.

Sorry, bit of waffle, but I do speak to owners of haulage companies most days! :D 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Xela said:

there is a big shortage at the moment due to lack of people taking their test / training over the last 14 months combined with Brexit issues and older drivers retiring.

There were a lot of European drivers here, they've gone back home too

7 hours ago, bickster said:

You’ve just gone and triggered PTSD in me, you w**ker!   I had to live with this sh*t as a teenager in the Midwest US in the mid- to late 70’s.  Every idiot had to go out and get a CB radio for their car and start talking like the clowns in this song.   About the only thing worse about those years was the music on the radio.   I hope you’re proud of yourself.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, bickster said:

There were a lot of European drivers here, they've gone back home too

Thank god, stealing British jobs from non existent British drivers, constantly causing accidents from driving on the wrong side of the road.............probably. 

And when they arrive at their destination their loads of Yorkshire Puddings have been "mysteriously" replaced by tacos or something, happens all the time I've heard. 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Thank god, stealing British jobs from non existent British drivers, constantly causing accidents from driving on the wrong side of the road.............probably. 

On a wider point, I know you are joking, but there is many a truth said in jest. I'm always far more nervous when driving on the motorway and there is a overseas registered lorry nearby. The road worthiness and safety concerns of some of these vehicles are a lot less than UK standards. The horror stories I hear from my clients. 

I know the point was about EU drivers (or lack of) working for British companies btw, but I went off on a slight tangent :)

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

What happened to Army Surplus stores? 

Used to be dozens but I don't remember the last time I saw one. 

There used to be one up in Harborne where I got my first West German army parka. I used to love the smell of those shops. 

I think it's probably easier to stick everything online now rather than pay rent on a retail space.

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Guess they became surplus ?

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, sidcow said:

When i were a lad at secondary school (76-81), there was a branch of Milletts in town that were knocking out heavy, ¾ length RAF coats in almost the original colour of the real thing, for about £3....which was a fair bit of cash then.

Loads of kids in my school had them 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mottaloo said:

When i were a lad at secondary school (76-81), there was a branch of Milletts in town that were knocking out heavy, ¾ length RAF coats in almost the original colour of the real thing, for about £3....which was a fair bit of cash then.

Loads of kids in my school had them 

Bit old for school weren't you? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I wonder what song gets played on the most radio stations.  We have the radio on all night at work and the chances of hearing Praise You by Fatboy Slim are very good whether you're listening to a 90s station, regular hits station, indie stations, dance stations, Radio 2, even possibly Radio 1 on a dancey night.  I'm not talking the most regularly played songs as it would be well down the list, just the widest variety of stations.

18 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I wonder what song gets played on the most radio stations.  We have the radio on all night at work and the chances of hearing Praise You by Fatboy Slim are very good whether you're listening to a 90s station, regular hits station, indie stations, dance stations, Radio 2, even possibly Radio 1 on a dancey night.  I'm not talking the most regularly played songs as it would be well down the list, just the widest variety of stations.

Perhaps Get Lucky by Daft Punk, for similar reasons as Praise You. 

Â