Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

13 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

My son’s more than happy to spend £7 on a milkshake and £6 for a slice of cheesecake. They always seem full of teenagers whenever I drive past. 

Christ, well that certainly makes me feel more justified in paying as much for a beer sometimes!

4 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Christ, well that certainly makes me feel more justified in paying as much for a beer sometimes!

Yep, my kids will go in one of those and spend stupid amounts on a tray of cookie dough smothered in ice cream.  You're not coming out of those with much change from a tenner regardless of what you buy. 

• Like 1

I wonder how often a songwriter has got sued for plagiarism on a song they accidentally ripped off without realising.  There are only so many chord progressions, so they stumble on one and then subconsciously a melody forms that is actually a song they heard years ago.  I've been playing around with a riff for a while and just realised last week it's basically the BBC snooker theme tune, for example.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I wonder how often a songwriter has got sued for plagiarism on a song they accidentally ripped off without realising.  There are only so many chord progressions, so they stumble on one and then subconsciously a melody forms that is actually a song they heard years ago.  I've been playing around with a riff for a while and just realised last week it's basically the BBC snooker theme tune, for example.

I dreamt a song once. I woke up with the basic tune in my head thinking “Huh, that sounds like it could be kinda catchy.” I’m not a musician in the slightest so I just disregarded it, because what am I going to do with it...

About a month or two later, I hear a song on the radio that sounds familiar and realise that I’d dreamt “Burning Love”. 

7 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Its actually very hard to prove, you can't for example claim ownership of a riff, it needs to be more than that. Lyrics are much easier to prove but melody not so. Look at The Jam, they used the bassline from Taxman by the Beatles (George Harrison - Revolver) at least 4 times

1. To Be Someone
  2. Liza Radley
  3. Dreams of Children (where the bassline is used as the lead guitar riff) and...
  4. Start! where they use the guitar and bass in what can only  be described as a robbery and still didn't get sued

Weller has done it throughout his career his song The Changingman is basically ELO's 10538 Overture, still never got sued.

Oasis used to sail even closer to the wind and had to acknowledge the originators sometimes in a shared credit. It also depends a lot on who is being ripped off and their attitude to it but if the music's publishers thought they have a case, they'll nearly always sue to get the royalties

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

That's how George Harrison got done for "My Sweet Lord" - as soon as the similarity to "He's So Fine" was pointed out to him, he basically said "Aw, shit you're right". See also The Eagles' "Hotel California" (Jethro Tull's "We Used to Know") and Led Zeppelin with "Stairway to Heaven" (Spirit's "Taurus") - although Zeppelin had form for stealing old blues songs and claiming authorship (but then so did loads of other bands, and the so-called 'originals' were themselves lifted anyway). 

• Like 1

Our very first self penned song in my college band, turned out to be MacArthur Park but with someone repeatedly shouting BANG! In the background.

We were gutted when we realised.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Its actually very hard to prove, you can't for example claim ownership of a riff, it needs to be more than that. Lyrics are much easier to prove but melody not so.

The story of Bittersweet symphony is a good one. It uses a sample of a instrumental cover version  of a Stones riff. The Stones manager got in touch with Ashcroft as soon as he heard the song and said “oi!, come on, that’s our melody, pony up 50% of the royalties on that song”. “No, do one” said Ashcroft.

So then he waited, song and album went bigger and bigger.

Then he sued…and won 100%.

and then…

Mick and Keef intervened and handed over the song rights to Ashcroft.

• Like 3

I’ve read that Robert Smith became incredibly paranoid after writing “Friday I’m in Love” because he was convinced he’d stolen it from somewhere. He took to phoning everyone he knew and singing the song/melody down the line and asking them “What’s this called? Where’s it from?”.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I’ve read that Robert Smith became incredibly paranoid after writing “Friday I’m in Love” because he was convinced he’d stolen it from somewhere. He took to phoning everyone he knew and singing the song/melody down the line and asking them “What’s this called? Where’s it from?”.

McCartney was the same with the tune of "Yesterday" (aka "Scrambled Eggs" until he came up with some words). Woke up with the tune in his head, and was convinced he must have remembered it from somewhere. 

37 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

McCartney was the same with the tune of "Yesterday" (aka "Scrambled Eggs" until he came up with some words). Woke up with the tune in his head, and was convinced he must have remembered it from somewhere. 

Superb Beatles knowledge there MJM. Your fandom really does know no bounds. 

• Confused 1

49 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The sound of his bog flushing his latest bowel movement away :trollface:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Superb Beatles knowledge there MJM. Your fandom really does know no bounds. 

Not sure if serious... 

58 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

He was a prize stealer of other people's work, wasn't he? Humphrey Lyttleton etc. I wonder how concerned he was, really?

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

He played it to all the other band members asking them if it was one of theirs as he was so convinced .. I can't help but think Ringo missed a trick and should have said "yep , thats my tune , i wrote it "

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I can't help but think Ringo missed a trick and should have said "yep , thats my tune , i wrote it "

They would never have believed him 😄

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, blandy said:

He was a prize stealer of other people's work, wasn't he? Humphrey Lyttleton etc. I wonder how concerned he was, really?

I think they were given the benefit of the doubt with "influenced by " rather than "stealing"   , though in some instances the "influence" isn't very subtle  .. (Lonesome tears in my eyes , is on the Beatles live at the BBC in 1963 and the riff is identical for The Ballard of John and Yoko  in 1969 for example) 

u ptempo rock'n'roll 12-bars are always going to be very similar I guess ?  I just hear it as a cheeky partial theft, and a clever re-invention ...  Chuck Berry "stole" from Johnnie Johnson , and the Beatles "stole"  from Chuck Berry  and so on and so on  ....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

I think they were given the benefit of the doubt with "influenced by " rather than "stealing"   , though in some instances the "influence" isn't very subtle  .. (Lonesome tears in my eyes , is on the Beatles live at the BBC in 1963 and the riff is identical for The Ballard of John and Yoko  in 1969 for example) 

u ptempo rock'n'roll 12-bars are always going to be very similar I guess ?  I just hear it as a cheeky partial theft, and a clever re-invention ...  Chuck Berry "stole" from Johnnie Johnson , and the Beatles "stole"  from Chuck Berry  and so on and so on  ....

"Come Together" = "You Can't Catch Me". Berry sued, Lennon recorded the "Rock'n'Roll" covers album as payment. It's not very good. 

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

I think they were given the benefit of the doubt with "influenced by " rather than "stealing"   , though in some instances the "influence" isn't very subtle 

"We were the biggest nickers in town. Plagiarists extraordinaire." - Paul McCartney

Â