Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

1 hour ago, hogso said:

My eggs go in the fridge, and they have chicken poop on them sometimes

Well you shouldn't :)  But seeing as you do, you'd better never let them get to room temperature before using them (2 hours).  A refrigerated egg getting to room temperature sweats and encourages bacterial growth.  Just leave them on the damn counter man!

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I keep my mayo in the fridge

I keep my mayo in the fridge because when I put it on a sandwich I want it to be cold :)

45 minutes ago, BOF said:

Well you shouldn't :)  But seeing as you do, you'd better never let them get to room temperature before using them (2 hours).  A refrigerated egg getting to room temperature sweats and encourages bacterial growth.  Just leave them on the damn counter man!

I take them out of the fridge and use them straight away. And besides if I wasn't meant to keep them in the fridge, why does it have a little tray inside for them to sit in

It depends what you feed the chickens on, and it's all down to changing fashions/marketing. 

When I Were A Lad (let's say early 1960s) eggs were always brown. At some point - I reckon it was some time in the 70s - the marketeers decided that we would prefer our eggshells white. And - hey presto! - all eggs became white. This was the case for many years. We frequently had the very conversation above - but in reverse: "Hey, remember when eggs were brown? Whatever happened to them? I reckon the brown ones tasted better. I miss them..." - and so on. 

At some point, brown egg nostalgia must have reached tipping point, for - lo and behold - they all became brown again. It seems we may be approaching another changeover moment. 

Edited by mjmooney

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

It depends what you feed the chickens on, and it's all down to changing fashions/marketing. 

When I Were A Lad (let's say early 1960s) eggs were always brown. At some point - I reckon it was some time in the 70s - the marketeers decided that we would prefer our eggshells white. And - hey presto! - all eggs became white. This was the case for many years. We frequently had the very conversation above - but in reverse: "Hey, remember when eggs were brown? Whatever happened to them? I reckon the brown ones tasted better. I miss them..." - and so on. 

At some point, brown egg nostalgia must have reached tipping point, for - lo and behold - they all became brown again. It seems we may be approaching another changeover moment. 

On QI they said that nobody knows why eggs are white or brown and that as far as "they" can tell it makes absolutely no difference to the taste.

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

On QI they said that nobody knows why eggs are white or brown and that as far as "they" can tell it makes absolutely no difference to the taste.

Well, having lived through the brown/white/brown eras, I agree on the taste bit. But the point is that some people THINK they taste different. It's all psychology and marketing. "Nobody knows why" is nonsense. The shell colour is controllable by the type of feed. 

I keep my eggs in the fridge and I eat my Pork a lovely juicy shade of pink whereby the blood flavours it

and I'm still alive  

In your face conventional wisdom

Edited by tonyh29

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Well, having lived through the brown/white/brown eras, I agree on the taste bit. But the point is that some people THINK they taste different. It's all psychology and marketing. "Nobody knows why" is nonsense. The shell colour is controllable by the type of feed. 

Fair enough, I may be remembering it wrongly.

2 hours ago, Ryan. said:

Is it mandatory for drivers of German cars to hang a shirt in the back window? Or does just being a general rocket polisher suffice?

Its because we have staff to iron, but we can't always take them with us ;)

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Genie said:

Are the migrants still crossing the Mediterranean? More or less than last year?  It doesn't seem to be in the news so much this year. 

i dont thing the press are interested in people being saved and not drowning unfortunately.

Is it worth claiming to be a transvestite on a day like today?

Roasting hot out there and women are able to modify their attire to suit but the rest of us have to still sweat it out in suit and shirt.

I know I've not got the figure to get away with it but I quite fancy wearing a short skirt and a skimpy top today. Purely because of the heat, obviously.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, choffer said:

Is it worth claiming to be a transvestite on a day like today?

Roasting hot out there and women are able to modify their attire to suit but the rest of us have to still sweat it out in suit and shirt.

I know I've not got the figure to get away with it but I quite fancy wearing a short skirt and a skimpy top today. Purely because of the heat, obviously.

Something for the pisses me off thread, that.

We have a dress down on a Friday and the women only ever look different if they're wearing jeans. 

And as you say, blokes wear shirts, trousers and shoes all year round.

And they have the vote now too. :rant:

Â