Situation vacant... who do you want as the new Villa manager

TrentVilla

Who would you like as our new manager?  

684 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like as our new manager?

• Moyes
    • Jol
    • Hughes
    • Coyle
    • Benitez
    • Lambert
    • Poyet
    • Martinez
    • Ancelotti
    • Deschamps
    • McLaren

and making a profit on players?

hughes didnt make a profit on santa cruz, he spent 22 million on signing him twice and santa cruz has been sold for 17.5 million so he has made a loss on him.

he spent 230 million pounds in 16 months at man city on players, it was on 18 players, however 3 of those players were free transfers, so he spent an average of just over 15 million pounds per player, and they finished WORSE than the previous season under sven

awsome

The fact of the matter is that he saw the potential in Santa Cruz when he was struggling in the Bundesliga and snapped him up for £3.5m, allowing Blackburn to sell him for £18m a year later.

Signed David Bentley for £500,000 - sold him for £16m.

And one can only imagine what profit Blackburn will make on Christopher Samba this summer having signed him for £400,000, not to mention the increase valuations you would now find on the likes of Zabaleta and Kompany at City.

As we've said before though, there's not much point debating profit margins on player turnover at Man City when they are happy to pay the wages of players (Santa Cruz, Bellamy, Onouha etc.) who they send out to other clubs rather than selling them to rivals.

And your argument about finishing beneath Sven having spent £230m looks somewhat different in light of the fact that the majority of it was spent after that season ended and the Abu Dhabi consortium had taken over from Shinawatra. After the money was spent largely during the summer of 2009 - and some of it clearly went on players targetted by the board such as Robinho - he had them higher in the league at the time of his departure than Sven had them at any point.

?

hughes worked his way through £128.5 million in his first season,

Jo CSKA Mosc. £18,000,000 02 Jul, 2008

Tal Ben-Haim Chelsea Signed 30 Jul, 2008 £5,000,000

Vincent Kompany Hamburg £6,000,000 22 Aug, 2008

Shaun Wright-Phillips Chelsea £9,000,000 28 Aug, 2008

Glauber Berti Nuremberg Free 31 Aug, 2008

Pablo Zabaleta Espanyol Signed 31 Aug, 2008 £7,000,000

Robinho Real Madrid £32,500,000 01 Sep, 2008

Wayne Bridge Chelsea £12,000,000 03 Jan, 2009

Craig Bellamy West Ham £14,000,000 19 Jan, 2009

Nigel de Jong Hamburg Signed 21 Jan, 2009 £18,000,000

Shay Given Newcastle Signed 01 Feb, 2009 £7,000,000

3 years later lets see what the players sold for

or are doing for the club

Jo CSKA Mosc. £18,000,000 STILL AT CLUB DOESNT PLAY 1 YEAROF CONTRACT LEFT

Tal Ben-Haim £5,000,000 SOLD... FREE TRANSFER

Vincent Kompany Hamburg £6,000,000 STILL AT CLUB PLAYS

Shaun Wright-Phillips Chelsea £9,000,000 STILL AT CLUB DOESNT PLAY 1 YEAR LEFT ON CONTRACT

Glauber Berti Nuremberg Free SOLD FREE TRANSFER

Pablo Zabaleta Espanyol £7,000,000 STILL AT CLUB PLAYED 1/2 THE GAMES LAST SEASON

Robinho Real Madrid £32,500,000 SOLD 14 MILLION..OOOOFFF.

Wayne Bridge Chelsea £12,000,000 STILL AT CLUB DOESNT PLAY

Craig Bellamy West Ham £14,000,000 STILL AT CLUB? DOESNT PLAY WILL LEAVE FOR NOTHING THIS SUMMER

Nigel de Jong Hamburg Signed 21 Jan, 2009 £18,000,000 STILL AT CLUB, PLAYS

Shay Given Newcastle Signed 01 Feb, 2009 £7,000,000 STILL AT CLUB DOESNT PLAY

awsome

As outlined repeatedly now, selling for profit is completely irrelevant as far as City are concerned which is why I stressed the profits made from aquisitions at Blackburn in response to your statement that he supposedly fails to do this.

If you're asking me if I think all of the above signings were good then I'd have to say no - in so far as Jo, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Tal Ben-Haim and Wayne Bridge have generally all been poor since going there. The others, however, have either proven to be very good signings or at the very least performed well under his management at the club.

Robinho is the obvious exception to all of the above in that I think it's widely accepted that this was a purchase made by the board and the manager had very little to do with it.

And that still leaves virtually half of the stated £230m which was then spent in one go during the summer of 2009.

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GT mk1??

Oh yeah you're right.... GT left for the England job...(as I think ultimately MON may end up)..... but I was kinda meaning a better job with a bigger club.

Stephen Kelly - Fulham defender interviewed on SSN about Mark Hughes saying the team has definitely progressed under him and their style of play...has no idea what's happening, hopes he'll not be going anywhere..... just reads what's in the press like us.

I just heard the tale end of the news on TS and they claim Villa have been in touch with Ancelotti.

It's not going to be Ancelotti or Moyes IMO.

I dont think Ancelotti will manage a club outside of Laaandan in UK.

I dont think Moyes will want to come to Villa to be honest, complete sideways step, could be said it's a backwards step.

It's most definitely going to be Hughes. Specially with his contract situation. Think he will do a good job too.

You know what this what has Hughes won is really getting on my nerves. Let me be very blunt, WTF have we won in the past 16 years, exactly the same as Hughes has in his management career. And guess what Hughes is management career is a lot shorter than that. Man United have dominated our league for the past two decades so it has been difficult for many managers. I just think Hughes is a fit for Villa in terms of resources available and the squad we have.

and making a profit on players?

hughes didnt make a profit on santa cruz, he spent 22 million on signing him twice and santa cruz has been sold for 17.5 million so he has made a loss on him.

he spent 230 million pounds in 16 months at man city on players, it was on 18 players, however 3 of those players were free transfers, so he spent an average of just over 15 million pounds per player, and they finished WORSE than the previous season under sven

awsome

The fact of the matter is that he saw the potential in Santa Cruz when he was struggling in the Bundesliga and snapped him up for £3.5m, allowing Blackburn to sell him for £18m a year later.

Signed David Bentley for £500,000 - sold him for £16m.

And one can only imagine what profit Blackburn will make on Christopher Samba this summer having signed him for £400,000, not to mention the increase valuations you would now find on the likes of Zabaleta and Kompany at City.

As we've said before though, there's not much point debating profit margins on player turnover at Man City when they are happy to pay the wages of players (Santa Cruz, Bellamy, Onouha etc.) who they send out to other clubs rather than selling them to rivals.

And your argument about finishing beneath Sven having spent £230m looks somewhat different in light of the fact that the majority of it was spent after that season ended and the Abu Dhabi consortium had taken over from Shinawatra. After the money was spent largely during the summer of 2009 - and some of it clearly went on players targetted by the board such as Robinho - he had them higher in the league at the time of his departure than Sven had them at any point.

?

hughes worked his way through £128.5 million in his first season,

Jo CSKA Mosc. £18,000,000 02 Jul, 2008

Tal Ben-Haim Chelsea Signed 30 Jul, 2008 £5,000,000

Vincent Kompany Hamburg £6,000,000 22 Aug, 2008

Shaun Wright-Phillips Chelsea £9,000,000 28 Aug, 2008

Glauber Berti Nuremberg Free 31 Aug, 2008

Pablo Zabaleta Espanyol Signed 31 Aug, 2008 £7,000,000

Robinho Real Madrid £32,500,000 01 Sep, 2008

Wayne Bridge Chelsea £12,000,000 03 Jan, 2009

Craig Bellamy West Ham £14,000,000 19 Jan, 2009

Nigel de Jong Hamburg Signed 21 Jan, 2009 £18,000,000

Shay Given Newcastle Signed 01 Feb, 2009 £7,000,000

3 years later lets see what the players sold for

or are doing for the club

Jo CSKA Mosc. £18,000,000 STILL AT CLUB DOESNT PLAY 1 YEAROF CONTRACT LEFT

Tal Ben-Haim £5,000,000 SOLD... FREE TRANSFER

Vincent Kompany Hamburg £6,000,000 STILL AT CLUB PLAYS

Shaun Wright-Phillips Chelsea £9,000,000 STILL AT CLUB DOESNT PLAY 1 YEAR LEFT ON CONTRACT

Glauber Berti Nuremberg Free SOLD FREE TRANSFER

Pablo Zabaleta Espanyol £7,000,000 STILL AT CLUB PLAYED 1/2 THE GAMES LAST SEASON

Robinho Real Madrid £32,500,000 SOLD 14 MILLION..OOOOFFF.

Wayne Bridge Chelsea £12,000,000 STILL AT CLUB DOESNT PLAY

Craig Bellamy West Ham £14,000,000 STILL AT CLUB? DOESNT PLAY WILL LEAVE FOR NOTHING THIS SUMMER

Nigel de Jong Hamburg Signed 21 Jan, 2009 £18,000,000 STILL AT CLUB, PLAYS

Shay Given Newcastle Signed 01 Feb, 2009 £7,000,000 STILL AT CLUB DOESNT PLAY

awsome

As outlined repeatedly now, selling for profit is completely irrelevant as far as City are concerned which is why I stressed the profits made from aquisitions at Blackburn in response to your statement that he supposedly fails to do this.

If you're asking me if I think all of the above signings were good then I'd have to say no - in so far as Jo, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Tal Ben-Haim and Wayne Bridge have generally all been poor since going there. The others, however, have either proven to be very good signings or at the very least performed well under his management at the club.

Robinho is the obvious exception to all of the above in that I think it's widely accepted that this was a purchase made by the board and the manager had very little to do with it.

And that still leaves virtually half of the stated £230m which was then spent in one go during the summer of 2009.

his buying and selling of players is part of his managerial history, just because you chose to ignore it, doesnt mean it didnt happen.

£230 million -£128.5 million is not the "majority"

his deals with blackburn included some good ones and some shit ones, he certainly did not make himself a reputation for finding good players cheaply.

he picked up santa cruz for decent money, £3.8 million. cruz was a decent forward who got injured at bayer, was then used out on the wing ( like gabby) so scored less goals , he still had a ratio of 31 goals in 82 games for one of the top clubs in germany, so hardly an unknown player and bayer signed him for the same amount in 1999 so they already scouted him and signed him and developed him.

our are we proclaiming DOL as a great manager as well?

his record compaires favourably to hughes and they also have had the same sort of circumstances when it comes to a team with loads of money and then teams with less money.

Ancelotti for me getting pretty decent odds on William Hill i would be interested to see what he could achieve with a club like ours.

Benitez second choice although there has been some pretty bad comments about him I think he is a very good manager he did wonders with liverpool and it was down to the owners being idiots which lead to his demise I admit he did rubbish at inter but i think the english league suits him better.

Bookies have cut odds for Ancelotti... reading MatKendricks tweets he's adamant the club are aiming high and making a bold move for Ancelotti.

Talk Sport are also tweeting about MK telling them the same.

We've been a thorn in Chelsea's side for a number of seasons... flip I'll never forget that game when Ash & Gab absolutely destroyed them at Villa Park to seal "the special one's fate" and Deadly Doug winking and smiling at Abramovich as he made a hasty retreat before the end!

Happy Days!

Hughes has a decent record and is young enough to build something, but I can't get past the fact that he is utterly charmless and Welsh.

I don't want to sound rude (but I will anyway) but what the **** has Mark Hughes being Welsh got to do with ANYTHING?

You know what this what has Hughes won is really getting on my nerves. Let me be very blunt, WTF have we won in the past 16 years, exactly the same as Hughes has in his management career. And guess what Hughes is management career is a lot shorter than that. Man United have dominated our league for the past two decades so it has been difficult for many managers. I just think Hughes is a fit for Villa in terms of resources available and the squad we have.

Agree with this, using trophies as proof as how good a manager is when you've managed clubs like Mark Hughes as it completely pointless.

If what he has done isn't good enough in his career then quite frankly Martin O'Neill must have done a terrible job here as Hughes did almost similar during his time at Blackburn with a weaker side.

He has since had a very short spell at Man City and with the amount of players coming in, it was always going to take time to work whilst he has made a bright start at Fulham.

But oh no... He hasn't won the Champions League with those clubs or a league title so he's not good enough....

Ancelotti would be a coup de grace

Villas-Boas I'd have a wet dream every night the guy's class, I remember my mate forwarding me a scout report he drew up ( Chelski Vs Newcastle in the Shearer / Owen days ) when he was Mourinhios underling and it's mind blowing I'll have to dig it out, but that's too "Hollywood" for an appointment. Plus he's still got a job to do at Porto and I don't think enough people would be patient enough much like Martinez if he came in.

Hughes meh I think he could do a job but I really think the board need to lay down a marker and punch high with the appointment, I want the excitement that over came us all after the take over and MoN was appointed surely we deserve it after a car crash of a season.

How about Mike Bassett? He could bring in Robbie Gee, who can't forget the hatrick against Romania........ :P

I'm just an extremely happy villa fan at the moment.

The dark cloud of houllier has gone and I'd be over the moon with ancelotti and very pleased with Hughes or moyes. I think it will be Hughes but still excited that maybe it could be ancelotti.

Well, if it is Ancelotti, you can forget one or two Prem clubs sitting up and taking notice of the Villa.................

......theres a few who will be crapping them selves because it will indicate we mean business. And we have the core of a side to do it!

Ancelotti would be a coup de grace

Villas-Boas I'd have a wet dream every night the guy's class, I remember my mate forwarding me a scout report he drew up ( Chelski Vs Newcastle in the Shearer / Owen days ) when he was Mourinhios underling and it's mind blowing I'll have to dig it out, but that's too "Hollywood" for an appointment. Plus he's still got a job to do at Porto and I don't think enough people would be patient enough much like Martinez if he came in.

heres the scout report - here