Situation vacant... who do you want as the new Villa manager

TrentVilla

Who would you like as our new manager?  

684 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like as our new manager?

• Moyes
    • Jol
    • Hughes
    • Coyle
    • Benitez
    • Lambert
    • Poyet
    • Martinez
    • Ancelotti
    • Deschamps
    • McLaren

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just think a lot of short termism on here at the moment. Can you honestly see a Deschamps or Ancelotti sticking around for more than 1 or 2 seasons? If (Insert Massive Club) came calling they'd be gone. A la Hughes at Fulham.

Long term wise Hughes is the best candidate and for him and us it's mutually benifical challenge to kick on to the next level.

But what makes you think Hughes wouldn't go if a big club came calling? Or are you saying Hughes isn't good enough for a big club and we should appoint someone inferior so that we be confident they won't leave?

Just do a quick comparison of managerial records between Hughes and Ancelotti.

Then think about the SIGN OF INTENT if we got him. I would bet my house that he could get all the stars to stay.

I wouldn't be disappointed if we got Hughes but it wouldn't put the smile on my face that Carlo would.

Also, I think Ancelotti is one of the only managers to post-match explain that he was in the wrong, he chose the wrong team, etc. I can't remember after what game it was but it was really big of him to take the blame. If I am remembering correctly it was Ancelotti.

Just found this regarding Hughes:

Link:http://tinyurl.com/5utpbax

Hughes on verge of Fulham exit with Villa lying in waitMark Hughes is reportedly preparing to quit Fulham this morning to take the Aston Villa job

According to reports in the Daily Mirror this morning, Mark Hughes will quit Fulham this morning to take charge of Aston Villa.

It’s a breaking exclusive from the Mirror but the betting is yet to be suspended on Ladbrokes with Hughes still available at 10/11 to take over from Gerard Houllier.

Houllier’s departure was confirmed last night and Mark Hughes was immediately installed as the solid favourite to replace the Frenchman at Villa Park, and remains the hot favourite in the betting to bet the next Aston Villa manager.

Fulham snapped up Hughes on a two-year contract last summer but it is understood the former Wales and Manchester City manager has a 12-month release clause in his contract that allows him to leave for minimal compensation.

Fulham were expecting to sit down with Hughes over the coming weeks to secure his long term future at the club, but it seems the Fulham board may be rueing a missed opportunity with the strong interest from Aston Villa.

Steve McClaren is the 3/1 second favourite to land the Villa job with David Moyes available at 5/1 and Gary McAllister, Roberto Martinez and Carlo Ancelotti all 8/1 chances.

Fulham are refusing to comment on whether Hughes is still their manager suggesting there is plenty of contact between them and Aston Villa, and the Villans could have tied up a deal for their new manager by lunchtime.

Every man and his dog know it will be Hughes. No real point in voting.

Mark Hughes is damn close to signing a 3 year deal at Fulham ! and I mean very very close.

Look for the story on Sky Sports that David Moyes has rejected Aston Villa ... and you'll notice the story has now been pulled ! Why ? well I leave you to your own conclusions ...

London press ... still majorly peeved that a local brummie journo got the scoop and they didn't are linking Hughes like mad at the moment ... question is ... why isn't the man (Kendrick) who broke 2 AV exclusives this week also doing so ..? Because he isn't joining Aston Villa as the next manager thats why !

Simon_Morley07 Simon Avfc Morley

#AVFC will officially announce Mark Hughes as there new manager In the next 48Hrs. #ffc

I won't be taking the word of someone who can't spell.

According to him McAllister left Villa. And according to him:

Talks will begin as off tomorrow morning, likes of Moyes, Hughes, Rafa, Jol, will all be contacted, with more detail!

Talks only began this morning with the managers mentioned in that list..

10 hours previously

Moyes defo still in the frame, rafa is distant, Jol is sprinting to the finish line. Not hearing much on hughes, #avfc #ffc #efc

one hour before that

A lot of rumours Mark Hughes is No1 choice.. Not what I'm getting from inside VP #AVFC #FFC

20 minutes before that

Martin Jol could be the man, but expect more twists!

an hour before he posted

have spoken to Moyes and his reps, He is interested, they will approach #efc after houllier statement is made....

a day before he posted

Gary Mac's contract ended by Villa. With a little thank you cheque.

---------------

And I am bored now, he "hedges his bets" and talks bollocks.

If Hughes is really unveiled that quickly then its obvious weve gone for the quick and cheap option. I cant believe in this time we have fully exhausted all possilbe candidates and the only way Hughes fits the mould that quickly is if hes available on the cheap.

I cant imagine him selling any big dream / vision to the board like they always make out they are after. Hughes is also quick to take up a better offer, putting him bang in the category of manager they once claimed they wanted to avoid...

Ancelotti cant build...

We need a re-build..

so we need to get it right..

Do we re-build with a Hughes..Or do we re-build with Deschamps?

Which one has the better knowledge of the modern game? Because if you are going to re-build you want the newest model/brand on the market..You dont want static or to go backwards..

Barca are ruling football, lets get a man in that can keep within reasonable touching distance with them..Rather than a man that is way behind.

Deschamps at a club like Villa will take us near to the Barca model..Hughes will keep us in and around with Everton!

I just think a lot of short termism on here at the moment. Can you honestly see a Deschamps or Ancelotti sticking around for more than 1 or 2 seasons? If (Insert Massive Club) came calling they'd be gone. A la Hughes at Fulham.

Long term wise Hughes is the best candidate and for him and us it's mutually benifical challenge to kick on to the next level.

hows that then?

hughes 16 months at man city

hughes ( if he leaves fulham) 12 months at fulham

where is the longevity in that then?

and if he came here and was great, what makes you think he wouldnt want to go to the next level?

the risk is there with ANY manager, so why start with something average when you can get something great?

when we signed benty, did you say " oh no, he will be off in 12 months if he does well"?

its life, we should be looking at getting the best we can, not worrying about what may happen if he does well. the time to worry about that is if it happens.

and making a profit on players?

hughes didnt make a profit on santa cruz, he spent 22 million on signing him twice and santa cruz has been sold for 17.5 million so he has made a loss on him.

he spent 230 million pounds in 16 months at man city on players, it was on 18 players, however 3 of those players were free transfers, so he spent an average of just over 15 million pounds per player, and they finished WORSE than the previous season under sven

awsome

Would have liked moyes or ancelloti but still be very pleased with Hughes.

I think he'll play decent football but unlike GH it will be effective. I think Hughes will bring back the fighting spirit that GH destroyed. I think he can be effective in the transfer Market and also has the man management skills to get the best out of our squad.

Look for the story on Sky Sports that David Moyes has rejected Aston Villa ... and you'll notice the story has now been pulled ! Why ? well I leave you to your own conclusions ...

I thought this yesterday. I tried to have a look but it said 'page not found'... or something like that.

What did it originally say? I never saw it... Any quotes from Moyes?

Has Hughes been at a club that has (a. been at a club good enough to win something i.e Fulham and Blackburn and B) been at a club long enough to build his own team

Getting Fulham to 8th and Blackburn to 6th and 7th can be seen as a massive success for them.

This is spot on. Finishing top 8 with Fulham/Blackburn is indeed extremely successful seasons for those clubs and is about the best that they could expect. In fact it far exceeded their expectations to finish so high.

Hughes would be a good choice and I could see him building something relatively successful here and get us back amongst the top half dozen sides and competing for a top 4 finish. He has a very good team around him who he has worked with for years and they would all relish the chance to come here and would see this great club for what it is.

lmarsha_926 wrote:

Has Hughes been at a club that has (a. been at a club good enough to win something i.e Fulham and Blackburn and B) been at a club long enough to build his own team

Getting Fulham to 8th and Blackburn to 6th and 7th can be seen as a massive success for them.

This is spot on. Finishing top 8 with Fulham/Blackburn is indeed extremely successful seasons for those clubs and is about the best that they could expect. In fact it far exceeded their expectations to finish so high.

I agree with this, he's done well in these cases.

Hughes would be a good choice and I could see him building something relatively successful here and get us back amongst the top half dozen sides and competing for a top 4 finish. He has a very good team around him who he has worked with for years and they would all relish the chance to come here and would see this great club for what it is.

I don't agree, I think what he's done with Fulham and Blackburn is pretty much as far as he'll be able to take us. A solid 6th or 7th, which is by no means bad and can be seen as an achievement, but he'll never take us to another level.

Oh let's get it over with Randy, I can't stand this fearsome rollercoaster ride any longer. Who the **** is it?

Lol, it's not even 24 hours yet! You may have a little longer to wait yet!

Exactly how i see it Mark. We tried Evolution and it bloody nearly got us relegated. I still think theirs twist and turns in this saga and do not believe anyone has been appointed. But i tell you what pisses me off, is when we make accusations against the board for showing no ambition because they haven't gone for the manager of their choice. The board will go through the recruitment process and WILL choose the best man for the job. But if McLaren is appointed i'll lose my rag with you, you inept board lol!

This is the Hughes thats about to walk out on Fulham after a season? Love you long term?

Is there a danger with an Ancelotti type appointment that whilst it will undoubtably have us spaffing in our claret and blue knicikers, that it will actually raise expectations again?

I want him to get the job but we will not then expect to finish in a CL spot next season, where surely the objective should be for us to return to our "level" of 5th/6th. That will be hard enough with Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and Villa all fighting for 3rd-7th place.

This is the Hughes thats about to walk out on Fulham after a season? Love you long term?

I said this aswell, jumping ship after one year at Fulham.. what makes people think he'll stay here long term?

Voted for Moyes, even though I'd prefer Ancelotti, just don't believe we stand a chance to get him. Hughes would be fine too, not inspiring but he'll probably do a good, steady job here, which I believe is what Lerner is looking for. I highly doubt there are some super aggressive and ambitions plans for the near future anyway.