Situation vacant... who do you want as the new Villa manager

TrentVilla

Who would you like as our new manager?  

684 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like as our new manager?

• Moyes
    • Jol
    • Hughes
    • Coyle
    • Benitez
    • Lambert
    • Poyet
    • Martinez
    • Ancelotti
    • Deschamps
    • McLaren

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and making a profit on players?

hughes didnt make a profit on santa cruz, he spent 22 million on signing him twice and santa cruz has been sold for 17.5 million so he has made a loss on him.

he spent 230 million pounds in 16 months at man city on players, it was on 18 players, however 3 of those players were free transfers, so he spent an average of just over 15 million pounds per player, and they finished WORSE than the previous season under sven

awsome

The fact of the matter is that he saw the potential in Santa Cruz when he was struggling in the Bundesliga and snapped him up for £3.5m, allowing Blackburn to sell him for £18m a year later.

Signed David Bentley for £500,000 - sold him for £16m.

And one can only imagine what profit Blackburn will make on Christopher Samba this summer having signed him for £400,000, not to mention the increase valuations you would now find on the likes of Zabaleta and Kompany at City.

As we've said before though, there's not much point debating profit margins on player turnover at Man City when they are happy to pay the wages of players (Santa Cruz, Bellamy, Onouha etc.) who they send out to other clubs rather than selling them to rivals.

And your argument about finishing beneath Sven having spent £230m looks somewhat different in light of the fact that the majority of it was spent after that season ended and the Abu Dhabi consortium had taken over from Shinawatra. After the money was spent largely during the summer of 2009 - and some of it clearly went on players targetted by the board such as Robinho - he had them higher in the league at the time of his departure than Sven had them at any point.

Long term wise Hughes is the best candidate and for him and us it's mutually benifical challenge to kick on to the next level.

This is the Hughes thats about to walk out on Fulham after a season? Love you long term?

that was in his contract though

Has Hughes been at a club that has (a. been at a club good enough to win something i.e Fulham and Blackburn and B) been at a club long enough to build his own team

Getting Fulham to 8th and Blackburn to 6th and 7th can be seen as a massive success for them.

This is spot on. Finishing top 8 with Fulham/Blackburn is indeed extremely successful seasons for those clubs and is about the best that they could expect. In fact it far exceeded their expectations to finish so high.

Hughes would be a good choice and I could see him building something relatively successful here and get us back amongst the top half dozen sides and competing for a top 4 finish. He has a very good team around him who he has worked with for years and they would all relish the chance to come here and would see this great club for what it is.

how long ago did blackburn finish 6th? how many years ago ?

fulham 8th, 1 point / place above us who had a shocking year, a year to forget.

fulham, who were the previous years europa league finalists? who finished 7th the year before that?

fulham who got just 3 points more last year playing a total of 43 games in cup and league than woys last season where they played 56 games in cup and league the season previously?

and you think it is " extremely successful"?

every manager can pick a few decent players, shit even DOL picked milner, bouma, laursen, solano and a couple others and people say he was crap. he managed to get us 6th, 10th and 16th in his 3 years, that sounds about the same as hughes at blackburn to me who got 15th , 6th, 10th. lets have DOL back, after all he managed with limited funds.

i really cant understand any enthusiasm for a manager who has only ever been meh at best.

not one reason so far has been given as to why hughes above ALL others is the right person.

Long term wise Hughes is the best candidate and for him and us it's mutually benifical challenge to kick on to the next level.

This is the Hughes thats about to walk out on Fulham after a season? Love you long term?

I said this aswell, jumping ship after one year at Fulham.. what makes people think he'll stay here long term?

Yep, it hasn't gone unnoticed as I posted as much myself.

What he is doing to fulham is exactly the kind of thing our board wanted us to believe they wanted ti avoid during the last appointment.

Its all been a complete farce if he is appointed and so soon.

As much as a 'sexy' name that Ancelotti is (or Der Gaal for that matter) i'm really not sure it's a good idea.

Both are used to working at successful/huge clubs. And with that comes great players and funds to keep them there. That's their domain. It's what they're used to.

With the best will in the world, that isn't us. And it's never going to be. We can't afford world class players. If either of them came in as Villa manager I could just see them doing what O'Neill did and establish us as top 6 - because we don't have the financial clout to break that ceiling, and neither of them would be loyal enough to do it the old fashioned way by grooming a squad over 5 years or so.

They'd just get bored and look to jump ship as soon as a more glamourous job appeared on the horizon i'm almost certain.

We need a manager that is going to grow with the team. It's the only way we'll ever break the stranglehold. Trust in our youth development, with a few added gems from the Randy transfer pot and work at the long term solution.

For me Moyes is that man. He knows how to work within constraints

I think GH was one of the the most overrated and over paid manager in the whole history of football.

He's a nice and polite man, I wish all the best for his health, but as a manager he has been a disaster.

5 mln pounds for what?

With the likes of A. Young, Downing, Albrighton, Bent, Delph, Walker, Clark, Bannan, very gifted players that would play in every P.L. top team, we should arrive in the top six and compete for a domestic cup, certainly not be involved in the fight to avoid relegation.

Anyhow, rumours has it about Ancelotti (please note that Ancelotti has one L, don't know why many English papers tend to put two).

anonimoo.jpg

It'd be fantastic.

Top manager and top man.

Has Hughes been at a club that has (a. been at a club good enough to win something i.e Fulham and Blackburn and B) been at a club long enough to build his own team

Getting Fulham to 8th and Blackburn to 6th and 7th can be seen as a massive success for them.

This is spot on. Finishing top 8 with Fulham/Blackburn is indeed extremely successful seasons for those clubs and is about the best that they could expect. In fact it far exceeded their expectations to finish so high.

I remember a thread was started around that time: "How to get Villa playing like Blackburn". :winkold:

Hughes would be a good choice and I could see him building something relatively successful here and get us back amongst the top half dozen sides and competing for a top 4 finish. He has a very good team around him who he has worked with for years and they would all relish the chance to come here and would see this great club for what it is.

Why would/should he be given any longer than Houllier? If he doesn't finish in Europe - get rid.

Why do people want Mark Hughes as Manager....?

Do fans not want to win back the Aura of the performanaces we were giving over the last 3-4 years....!

He has done an OK job at Fulhum getting them to 8TH. But i am aspiring for more that OK. I watched the game where Liverpool beat them 5-2 and they were carved apart....!

What has Mark Hughes ever won...?

I agree with above. Hughes doesnt have a record any better than the Allardyce's and Curbishley's of this world.

Totally uninspiring and a sad indictment of the potential future of the next few years of the club.

Of course, only if the rumours are true.

I said this aswell, jumping ship after one year at Fulham.. what makes people think he'll stay here long term?

I think it's fairly evident that Hughes took the Fulham job when no bigger club was hiring in order to stay in the game. He's clearly an ambitious guy - which is why he left Blackburn after three good years for the greater potential offered at Man City. I'm sure he thought that would likely be a long-term project until Sheikh Mansour arrived and changed everything (easy to forget now that he was appointed by Thaksin Shinawatra). The fact that he only signed for an initial year at Fulham was tantamount to him laying his cards on the table that he could still very much see himself at a bigger club with greater resources and if they weren't happy with the terms of a contract that afforded him such latitude they should have looked elsewhere. Just as I remain realistic about the kind of candidates who are beyond our reach, the plain fact is that Fulham are a club that will always struggle to hold on to talented managers who will inevitably move on to bigger clubs.

I think he will see Villa as the pivotal managerial role of his career and the one that he ultimately has to succeed in. In all likelihood, it is the biggest remaining job in the Premier League that he will get and we can offer the stature and financial backing that will make him believe that this is where he should be for the long-term.

Why do people want Mark Hughes as Manager....?

Do fans not want to win back the Aura of the performanaces we were giving over the last 3-4 years....!

He has done an OK job at Fulhum getting them to 8TH. But i am aspiring for more that OK. I watched the game where Liverpool beat them 5-2 and they were carved apart....!

What has Mark Hughes ever won...?

He has not been at a club he can win things at. He got sacked at City for getting them to 5th with no influence on signings later in his reign.

If we appointed Ancelotti it would be a fantastic move, the buzz around the club would be immense, like the signing of DB but better. He is my number 1 choice (with Ray Wilkins assisting) by a mile.

How many times? Fulham could have resolved his contract a lot earlier.

Load of tosh, he's got a 2 year contract already but he's using his get-out card at the first sign of something better on the horizon. Doesn't matter how you dress it up thats what it is, if there wasn't anything better he'd see out his contract no question.

Who would you want?

As for Hughes leaving, the fact that he has a get out clause shows that it was a short term appointment for Fulham, you can be pretty sure that we wont be allowing him the same option.

I would have voted for - but unrealistic:

Ancelotti - It's Milan, Rome or London for him.

Deschamps - France.

Moyes - Liverpool, Manchester or London.

So my vote:

1) the Board's choice

2) Hughes

3) Benitez

4) Jol

5) McClaren

6) Martinez

7) Poyet

0) Coyle

0) Lambert

And the more I think about it the more I realize that we already had a good manager.

Yep, it hasn't gone unnoticed as I posted as much myself.

What he is doing to fulham is exactly the kind of thing our board wanted us to believe they wanted ti avoid during the last appointment.

Its all been a complete farce if he is appointed and so soon.

What I’m saying is he needs us to do well for him to do well. Deschamps and Ancelotti will get a job at this level standing on their head regardless of how they do and in reality if Real or Barca or even Liverpool jobs were free they’d not be anywhere near us. We’re only ever going to be a stop gap for that type of manager.

Long term wise this is a chance for a manager to build an entire team and Hughes is the best bet as he can see it right through. In reality there are only 4 or 5 clubs he can go to above us and if he then goes to one of them he obviously has done a phenomenal job with us. The Fulham thing is so isolated it’s untrue. Hughes for Fulham is a classic Ancelotti for us. Bigger club comes knocking - I’m gone.

Hughes has a decent record and is young enough to build something, but I can't get past the fact that he is utterly charmless and Welsh. I voted for Ancelotti - I'd be very shocked if we could pull something like that off though. Moyes would be an excellent appointment but may take a bit longer for negotiations to be done. Ultimately, I'm just glad that Houllier has gone, as harsh as it sounds.