Situation vacant... who do you want as the new Villa manager

TrentVilla

Who would you like as our new manager?  

684 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like as our new manager?

• Moyes
    • Jol
    • Hughes
    • Coyle
    • Benitez
    • Lambert
    • Poyet
    • Martinez
    • Ancelotti
    • Deschamps
    • McLaren

SempiternalVillain wrote:

Oh let's get it over with Randy, I can't stand this fearsome rollercoaster ride any longer.

What if Randy doesn't know?!

Maybe he would like a chance to consider all the options first... especially as it's only the morning after it was announced there was a definite vacancy!

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and making a profit on players?

hughes didnt make a profit on santa cruz, he spent 22 million on signing him twice and santa cruz has been sold for 17.5 million so he has made a loss on him.

he spent 230 million pounds in 16 months at man city on players, it was on 18 players, however 3 of those players were free transfers, so he spent an average of just over 15 million pounds per player, and they finished WORSE than the previous season under sven

awsome

The fact of the matter is that he saw the potential in Santa Cruz when he was struggling in the Bundesliga and snapped him up for £3.5m, allowing Blackburn to sell him for £18m a year later.

Signed David Bentley for £500,000 - sold him for £16m.

And one can only imagine what profit Blackburn will make on Christopher Samba this summer having signed him for £400,000, not to mention the increase valuations you would now find on the likes of Zabaleta and Kompany at City.

As we've said before though, there's not much point debating profit margins on player turnover at Man City when they are happy to pay the wages of players (Santa Cruz, Bellamy, Onouha etc.) who they send out to other clubs rather than selling them to rivals.

And your argument about finishing beneath Sven having spent £230m looks somewhat different in light of the fact that the majority of it was spent after that season ended and the Abu Dhabi consortium had taken over from Shinawatra. After the money was spent largely during the summer of 2009 - and some of it clearly went on players targetted by the board such as Robinho - he had them higher in the league at the time of his departure than Sven had them at any point.

?

hughes worked his way through £128.5 million in his first season,

Jo CSKA Mosc. £18,000,000 02 Jul, 2008

Tal Ben-Haim Chelsea Signed 30 Jul, 2008 £5,000,000

Vincent Kompany Hamburg £6,000,000 22 Aug, 2008

Shaun Wright-Phillips Chelsea £9,000,000 28 Aug, 2008

Glauber Berti Nuremberg Free 31 Aug, 2008

Pablo Zabaleta Espanyol Signed 31 Aug, 2008 £7,000,000

Robinho Real Madrid £32,500,000 01 Sep, 2008

Wayne Bridge Chelsea £12,000,000 03 Jan, 2009

Craig Bellamy West Ham £14,000,000 19 Jan, 2009

Nigel de Jong Hamburg Signed 21 Jan, 2009 £18,000,000

Shay Given Newcastle Signed 01 Feb, 2009 £7,000,000

3 years later lets see what the players sold for

or are doing for the club

Jo CSKA Mosc. £18,000,000 STILL AT CLUB DOESNT PLAY 1 YEAROF CONTRACT LEFT

Tal Ben-Haim £5,000,000 SOLD... FREE TRANSFER

Vincent Kompany Hamburg £6,000,000 STILL AT CLUB PLAYS

Shaun Wright-Phillips Chelsea £9,000,000 STILL AT CLUB DOESNT PLAY 1 YEAR LEFT ON CONTRACT

Glauber Berti Nuremberg Free SOLD FREE TRANSFER

Pablo Zabaleta Espanyol £7,000,000 STILL AT CLUB PLAYED 1/2 THE GAMES LAST SEASON

Robinho Real Madrid £32,500,000 SOLD 14 MILLION..OOOOFFF.

Wayne Bridge Chelsea £12,000,000 STILL AT CLUB DOESNT PLAY

Craig Bellamy West Ham £14,000,000 STILL AT CLUB? DOESNT PLAY WILL LEAVE FOR NOTHING THIS SUMMER

Nigel de Jong Hamburg Signed 21 Jan, 2009 £18,000,000 STILL AT CLUB, PLAYS

Shay Given Newcastle Signed 01 Feb, 2009 £7,000,000 STILL AT CLUB DOESNT PLAY

awsome

Long term wise Hughes is the best candidate and for him and us it's mutually benifical challenge to kick on to the next level.

This is the Hughes thats about to walk out on Fulham after a season? Love you long term?

Who would you want?

As for Hughes leaving, the fact that he has a get out clause shows that it was a short term appointment for Fulham, you can be pretty sure that we wont be allowing him the same option.

Hughes is no more or less loyal than anybody else, it's a moot point. If the next manager does really well he will be head hunted by the 'bigger' clubs, and would probably go.

Do fans not want to win back the Aura of the performanaces we were giving over the last 3-4 years....!

(in reference to Fulham) I watched the game where Liverpool beat them 5-2 and they were carved apart....!

Those performances you talk about over the last 3-4 years included a 7-1 loss to Chelsea where I'd say we were more than just carved apart.

Freak results happen to the best of managers, especially when they are facing clubs with significantly better players. For me the fact that Fulham bounced back to batter the scum 3-0 (should have been more) at their place in the next game proves more about the type of man Mark Hughes is than that result against Liverpool.

Hughes is no more or less loyal than anybody else, it's a moot point. If the next manager does really well he will be head hunted by the 'bigger' clubs, and would probably go.

I can't think just now of a manager who has left Aston Villa for a better job?

Normally they are sacked or fall out with the board.

Not getting into the whole City thing but any player City bought was £5-10m overpriced because it was City. People forget Adebayor, Given, Bellamy, SWP, Robinho were all doing well under him and he also bought Tevez, De Jong, Barry, Zabaleta, Kompany and Lescott. So all in all not bad. Not great but not bad and he would have learnt from it. Failures of Santa Cruz, Bridge and Ben Haim and Jo was bought for him, the day he arrived or one day after or something. He has said he had nothing to do with it.

Long term wise Hughes is the best candidate and for him and us it's mutually benifical challenge to kick on to the next level.

This is the Hughes thats about to walk out on Fulham after a season? Love you long term?

Who would you want?

As for Hughes leaving, the fact that he has a get out clause shows that it was a short term appointment for Fulham, you can be pretty sure that we wont be allowing him the same option.

Who would I want? Is that like so kind of threat for pointing out the obvious?

Yep

You can't judge Mark Hughes on his purchases for Man City... none of the big names wanted to go at first because they were a mid table mediocre team, suddenly with a massive war chest. They just paid massive amounts and wages to get anyone half decent to play for them.

Who would I want? Is that like so kind of threat for pointing out the obvious?

No, it's a question, which I followed up with an explanation on why I believe Hughes would be leaving.

I ain't that interested anyway so don't worry about it.

I repeat: Robbie Savage said before he went live on Late Kick-Off about 2 weeks ago that it was already a done deal with Mark Hughes...We'll see
That's quite significant, he was close to Hughes with Wales and would be likely to have heard something. I'm just convinced it's going to be Hughes now. We'll see.

Not getting into the whole City thing but any player City bought was £5-10m overpriced because it was City. People forget Adebayor, Given, Bellamy, SWP, Robinho were all doing well under him and he also bought Tevez, De Jong, Barry, Zabaleta, Kompany and Lescott. So all in all not bad. Not great but not bad and he would have learnt from it. Failures of Santa Cruz, Bridge and Ben Haim and Jo was bought for him, the day he arrived or one day after or something. He has said he had nothing to do with it.

jo signed 1 month AFTER hughes was manager

spending £230 million on players is not difficult and if after spending that much in 18 months, an average of over £15 million per player you doont have great players to show for it you would have to be a retard.

as i already said, why dont we get DOL back?

he has an identical record to hughes, infact he has a better record, he got leeds to the champions league semi finals

I repeat: Robbie Savage said before he went live on Late Kick-Off about 2 weeks ago that it was already a done deal with Mark Hughes...We'll see

Savage said on his twitter immediately after that rumour came out that he never said a thing about Hughes joining Villa and said that Sparky wouldnt tell him anyway even if he was

GT mk1??