Situation vacant... who do you want as the new Villa manager

TrentVilla

Who would you like as our new manager?  

684 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like as our new manager?

• Moyes
    • Jol
    • Hughes
    • Coyle
    • Benitez
    • Lambert
    • Poyet
    • Martinez
    • Ancelotti
    • Deschamps
    • McLaren

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hughes will just do another MON..

All his signings at City came in on high wages and some high trans fees.. He hasnt got the skills to find better and cheaper options.

He will sign the obvious..

We wont go forward under him.

Of course they came in on high wages and for high fees, that is the nature of Man City.Surely a more relevant comparison would be to the wages and fees at Fulham and Blackburn during his time.

Unless you think we are closer to Man City than Blackburn and Fulham....

Yes but its nature of those signings as well that was poor..He ha the whole world to chose from, yet he signed Wayne Bridge, SWP, Lescott??? Its clueless.. He had the opportunity to make Man City the best club in Europe yet he signed poor players on high wages and trans fees. Its what MON does..

We dont need that at Villa...He behind the times on the European stage. He comes in and he could buy N'Zogbia for 10m and stick him on 50k a week..That signing would show NO skill.. Yet Deschamps would come in and sign a player for 2m on 20k a week who would be 3 x better than N'Zogbia purely because he has a wider knowledge of the game.. Hughes is very limited on the European stage, as was MON.. He wont know about the players that are under the table..

Its like Houllier bringing Fofana to the club..OK he may not ever be a great player but Deschamps will do the same and more than like;y the players he brings in WILL be good. The likes of Lyon, Lille, Marseille etc have been selling their top players for mega money to Premierleague clubs over the years.. Nasri, Malouda, Essien, are to name a few.. Yet these clubs still have replacements that come in that become just as good..

Very interesting news regarding Ancelotti (if true) - it would certainly represent a major coup and make for a pretty emphatic statement of intent by the club.

However, I have a couple of reservations. Whilst I genuinely like the man and admire his approach, I think it would be almost impossible for anyone to assess from afar exactly what his motivation would be for a job such as this. Undoubtedly it would take a big salary to get him here and the position could offer a very comfortable outlet for him in the wake of his Chelsea dismissal. Any targets set by Mr. Lerner and the board will be in stark contrast to those issued by AC Milan and Chelsea, and the incentive of contesting the major prizes (league titles, the Champions League) will not be on the immediate agenda.

There has to be questions as to his ability to impose his methods and style of play on a group of players inferior in technical ability to those he has been used to coaching, and we could find that we are in for another season of transition depending upon how quickly he settles and how many of his own players he is able to recruit. He has, to the best of my knowledge, not been in a position where he has had to actively 'manage' the wage bill as any incoming manager will have to do here and there is still much deadwood to shift. There is, perhaps, something to be said for his adaptability in conforming to the wishes of maniacal owners and chairman (something which he would not have to deal with here thankfully) who have imposed their wishes on player aquisitions and team selection - and always done so in a admirably professional manner. It's a different kind of versatility though and, again, it's very hard to know one way or another how he would ultimately take to working with a more limited squad in need of overhauling.

I am also concerned that we would be continually living under the threat of his inevitable departure. He will be linked with every significant vacancy that arises on the continent and there will likely always be a suspicion that he will be tempted by offers from Italy and Spain. We may be used to having top players poached from us but in many ways any unrest that is created by their being unsettled or their subsequent sales is a lot easier to cover than the uncertainty that surrounds a figurehead. Such a situation would make it very difficult to plan beyond a given season. Hence, appointing Ancelotti would signal a desire, if not an absolute need, to obtain tangible success very quickly so that a) he may be convinced that he can take the club on to a bigger stage, or B) we ensure that the first team is in a much stronger position for any replacement to take charge of. Looking at our current circumstances, that is a very big ask on both counts - and it would arguably take a level of drive from Ancelotti that extends beyond what has previously been required of him.

His appointment would certainly create a genuine buzz that most, if not all, of the other candidates wouldn't be able to match, and people outside the club would indeed be forced to take notice - if only for a short time. But I think success - as defined by winning trophies, qualifying for the Champions League and laying a sustainable foundation for future progress - would be far from guaranteed.

On balance, his experience as a player and a manager is beyond question and he would bring a heavyweight presence to a club that has often failed to punch its weight. With the right financial backing, the appointment of a sensible no. 2 (such as Ray Wilkins), a good start and bit of all-important luck, the potential with Ancelotti is almost certainly greater than with any of the other contenders and if he is genuinely up for the task then I could see him emulating what Harry Redknapp has done with Spurs in the last three years. As such, he is worth the gamble - but I think people would need to steel themselves for the reality that keeping him may be even more difficult than persuading him to come in the first place, and we could well find ourselves back in this situation again within two years.

Interesting times lie ahead.

Top post m8, all very true. But surely worth the gamble?

Yeah, like I said, definitely worth the gamble if its feasible. I just wonder if he would actually take us further than Hughes, Jol or Benitez, any of whom I'm fairly confident would at least take us back to the top six and are more likely to remain in the post, building something long-term.

But its impossible not to warm to Ancelotti and the prospect is exciting. To be honest though, I feel pretty optimistic in general right now and think that we will be in for a much improved season whichever of the candidates is selected (as long as its not Steve McLaren).

It's gotta be all out to gety Ancelotti, managers like this don't come along very often, when they do you have to take the bull by the horn's, Randy has ambitions for us and i believe if he wants Ancelotti he will get him.

Also would a signing like Ancelotti make the want away players think again, I.E Young and Downing.

This is the most important appointment for us in 5 years. The board need to send a statement of intent and back up everything they have said about 5 year plans and getting this wonderful, wonderful club back on top where we belong.

IF we get Ancelotti - what will that say to Young and that utter clearing in the woods Downing about where we are wanting to go. Getting Carlo gives us the best shot of keeping our best players, and putting the club together again.

I agree Hughes is not a 'glamour' name, but my worry of signing glamour managers is that they will use us as a stop gap. Hughes will look at us as a long term project.

Yep this was my thinking too.

What a shame when I'm thinking an Ancelotti might think managing this famous old club might only consider it a stepping stone to bigger things....

It's all about the money these days... sigh...

As much as i'd like Deschamps, if he did anything remotely good with us - in the spotlight of the premiership, big clubs would come in for him very quickly.

That's probably true of any manager to some extent though? Remember MON constantly being linked with Liverpool etc while he was doing well.

But it would still be a concern because the one thing Deschamps hasn't done so far as a manager is hang around any one club for a long time.

Also would a signing like Ancelotti make the want away players think again, I.E Young and Downing.

This is the biggest reason id want Ancelotti. Im not actually convinced by him as a manager but hisw appointment will make the likes of Young and Downing sit up and take notice.

If we can hold onto these players we could have a very good season next year. Anything could be possible with those 2 + Bent and a few new faces

As much as i'd like Deschamps, if he did anything remotely good with us - in the spotlight of the premiership, big clubs would come in for him very quickly.

We would be that big club.. No reason at all why he couldnt build his legacy with us. He is young enough, he has the stage set for him all here now, good board, fan base etc..

He understands French, English, Spanish and Italian football.. Far more respected and knowledgable in world/European football than that of Hughes or Moyes..

Ray Wilkins and Ashley Young at the same club would be a disaster waiting to happen.

"Stay on your feet!"

This is a problem we will never have to deal with!

We would be that big club.. No reason at all why he couldnt build his legacy with us. He is young enough, he has the stage set for him all here now, good board, fan base etc..

He understands French, English, Spanish and Italian football.. Far more respected and knowledgable in world/European football than that of Hughes or Moyes..

But we play in ENGLAND!!! You say far more respected but is that because he is your preference.

TimothyAbraham Timothy Abraham

Just spoke to #FFC about rumours that Mark Hughes has stepped down. Was told: "Not our policy to comment on speculation." #AVFC #straightbat

Just now on twitter.

TimothyAbraham Timothy Abraham

Just spoke to #FFC about rumours that Mark Hughes has stepped down. Was told: "Not our policy to comment on speculation." #AVFC #straightbat

Just now on twitter.

****. :(

Nobody has mentioned Frank Rijkaard. Not only was he a brilliant player, but is a very succesful manager. Would deffo like to see him at Villa.

A manager who I think is doing very well and was an excellent player in his time, is Frank De Boer. He is doing a great job at Ajax Amsterdam. Very impressed with him. I think he would have been an excellent choice, if GH was not leaving, with GH moving upstairs as a director. Like most people in Holland, De Boer probably speaks Several languages such as German, French, English and Dutch all normally with ease.

UTV