Situation vacant... who do you want as the new Villa manager

TrentVilla

Who would you like as our new manager?  

684 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like as our new manager?

• Moyes
    • Jol
    • Hughes
    • Coyle
    • Benitez
    • Lambert
    • Poyet
    • Martinez
    • Ancelotti
    • Deschamps
    • McLaren

I agree Hughes is not a 'glamour' name, but my worry of signing glamour managers is that they will use us as a stop gap. Hughes will look at us as a long term project.

If he moves here then he has used Fulham as a stop gap has he not?

More of a stepping stone, to move his career forward, plus I think he wanted to come here last summer, but MON screwed that up. Where Ancelotti coming to Villa is a step back, and would he be willing to put in the graft over the long term.

Don't get me worng Ancelotti would be exciting and a sign of intend, but I just have a nagging feeling he would drop us in a second.

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we can get Hughes in by the end of next week, and he's the only person we can get in on such a timeframe then that would be an understandable decision given the amount of issues the new man will face.

Going backwards with Hughes...

Its pointless hiring a manager that relies solely on money to get places.. You need a manager that can reinvent the club into his own style, a modern day approach with modern day tactics and total football..

Its going to have to happen at some point if we are EVER going to progress..We can do it now whilst the squad needs to be re-built or we can do it in 4 years time after another 100m has been spent and another clearout will be required..

Hughes will just do another MON..

All his signings at City came in on high wages and some high trans fees.. He hasnt got the skills to find better and cheaper options.

He will sign the obvious..

We wont go forward under him.

I pretty much agree. I think O'Neill did well for us to consistently achieve 6th place. I think Hughes would do the same (the goalposts have moved slightly so 6th under MON may now be 6th~8th). That's by no means poor for us, if Hughes comes in and does that I think he'll be doing a good job.

But a 'special' appointment, someone like Deschamps, could possibly just move us on beyond that level. He made the perennial losers Marseilles into Champions and took Monaco beyond their level, he's a coach than can move clubs on a level. O'Neill, Hughes, maybe Moyes as well, for me are coaches that will take Villa to a decent level, do a good job but will never be able to move us on that extra step.

If we can get Hughes in by the end of next week, and he's the only person we can get in on such a timeframe then that would be an understandable decision given the amount of issues the new man will face.

I agree, if it were the option of Hughes by Monday or Ancelotti with it being drawn out over the next month/6 weeks, i would go with Hughes every time.

Hopefully Ancelotti/Wilkins wont **** around and just sign the damn contract! :D

He's often talked as a both respectable and liked man, ancelotti. Maybe he would genuinally like a challenge to prove himself respectfully.

Ah, who am I kidding...noone

Very interesting news regarding Ancelotti (if true) - it would certainly represent a major coup and make for a pretty emphatic statement of intent by the club.

However, I have a couple of reservations. Whilst I genuinely like the man and admire his approach, I think it would be almost impossible for anyone to assess from afar exactly what his motivation would be for a job such as this. Undoubtedly it would take a big salary to get him here and the position could offer a very comfortable outlet for him in the wake of his Chelsea dismissal. Any targets set by Mr. Lerner and the board will be in stark contrast to those issued by AC Milan and Chelsea, and the incentive of contesting the major prizes (league titles, the Champions League) will not be on the immediate agenda.

There has to be questions as to his ability to impose his methods and style of play on a group of players inferior in technical ability to those he has been used to coaching, and we could find that we are in for another season of transition depending upon how quickly he settles and how many of his own players he is able to recruit. He has, to the best of my knowledge, not been in a position where he has had to actively 'manage' the wage bill as any incoming manager will have to do here and there is still much deadwood to shift. There is, perhaps, something to be said for his adaptability in conforming to the wishes of maniacal owners and chairman (something which he would not have to deal with here thankfully) who have imposed their wishes on player aquisitions and team selection - and always done so in a admirably professional manner. It's a different kind of versatility though and, again, it's very hard to know one way or another how he would ultimately take to working with a more limited squad in need of overhauling.

I am also concerned that we would be continually living under the threat of his inevitable departure. He will be linked with every significant vacancy that arises on the continent and there will likely always be a suspicion that he will be tempted by offers from Italy and Spain. We may be used to having top players poached from us but in many ways any unrest that is created by their being unsettled or their subsequent sales is a lot easier to cover than the uncertainty that surrounds a figurehead. Such a situation would make it very difficult to plan beyond a given season. Hence, appointing Ancelotti would signal a desire, if not an absolute need, to obtain tangible success very quickly so that a) he may be convinced that he can take the club on to a bigger stage, or B) we ensure that the first team is in a much stronger position for any replacement to take charge of. Looking at our current circumstances, that is a very big ask on both counts - and it would arguably take a level of drive from Ancelotti that extends beyond what has previously been required of him.

His appointment would certainly create a genuine buzz that most, if not all, of the other candidates wouldn't be able to match, and people outside the club would indeed be forced to take notice - if only for a short time. But I think success - as defined by winning trophies, qualifying for the Champions League and laying a sustainable foundation for future progress - would be far from guaranteed.

On balance, his experience as a player and a manager is beyond question and he would bring a heavyweight presence to a club that has often failed to punch its weight. With the right financial backing, the appointment of a sensible no. 2 (such as Ray Wilkins), a good start and bit of all-important luck, the potential with Ancelotti is almost certainly greater than with any of the other contenders and if he is genuinely up for the task then I could see him emulating what Harry Redknapp has done with Spurs in the last three years. As such, he is worth the gamble - but I think people would need to steel themselves for the reality that keeping him may be even more difficult than persuading him to come in the first place, and we could well find ourselves back in this situation again within two years.

Interesting times lie ahead.

Top post m8, all very true. But surely worth the gamble?

Good discussion going on at the minute on TalkSport about this...

Andy Grey reckons that by monday either Hughes or Ancelotti will be in charge, with the later the favorite.

He brings up a good point about the probability that Hughes will demand to bring in his own staff whereas Ancelotti tends to work with what he is given, maybe with the addition of Wilkins.

Do we really want to lose the entire backroom staff?

Id be gutted to lose the likes of Cowans and Kmac. Duverne and the other lot Houllier bought in i aint too bothered about.

I remember Ancelotti admiring the pictures we had in our tunnel of us in the european cup something he played in I think he would actually like to manage a club with a prestigious history such as us

Also on Ancellotti, which players has he actually attracted to a club? As we seem so sure he'll be able to attract players.

Clutching at straws mate.

Ancelotti is one of the best most well respected managers in Europe, that is where it ends.

so for everyone who was complaining that we were taking too long to get things done and should take a leaf out of chelsea's book, how come it looks like we'll have everything sorted well before them?

True, I see no reason why Ancelotti couldnt be sorted out just as quickly, if not quicker, than Hughes.

If he's the first choice, then get a yes or no and move onto Hughes if necessary.

Edit - @Wig

Also on Ancellotti, which players has he actually attracted to a club? As we seem so sure he'll be able to attract players.

Clutching at straws mate.

Ancelotti is one of the best most well respected managers in Europe, that is where it ends.