Situation vacant... who do you want as the new Villa manager

TrentVilla

Who would you like as our new manager?  

684 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like as our new manager?

• Moyes
    • Jol
    • Hughes
    • Coyle
    • Benitez
    • Lambert
    • Poyet
    • Martinez
    • Ancelotti
    • Deschamps
    • McLaren

Carlo Ancelotti

Juventus

Intertoto Cup: 1

Milan

Serie A: 1

Coppa Italia: 1

Supercoppa Italiana: 1

UEFA Champions League: 2

2003, 2007

UEFA Super Cup: 2

2003, 2007

FIFA Club World Cup: 1

Chelsea

Premier League: 1

2009–10

FA Cup: 1

Community Shield: 1

Mark Hughes

Sweet F.A.

No real arguement here is there?

If we get Sparky, I'll back him because I think he's a capable pair of hands a safe option but if the club want to show ambition and get the good vibes around the place again, there is only one choice.

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also would a signing like Ancelotti make the want away players think again, I.E Young and Downing.

I think we have to accept that Ashley Young is going, period. I could see Downing signing a new contract under the right circumstances but Young knows this is his time to move - he's gone stale here and will know he needs to leave if he is to develop any further. Man Utd are strongly linked and it will be the prospect of playing with better players as much as a better manager that will be key to him improving. The chance to go to Old Trafford will likely not come round again, especially if, as rumours suggest, they will be rebuilding substantially this summer. When Fergie sets about putting a new nucleas together, they tend to remain for a number of seasons. Young won't risk missing that opportunity and he will take it, regardless of who we appoint.

As much as i'd like Deschamps, if he did anything remotely good with us - in the spotlight of the premiership, big clubs would come in for him very quickly.

We would be that big club.. No reason at all why he couldnt build his legacy with us. He is young enough, he has the stage set for him all here now, good board, fan base etc..

He understands French, English, Spanish and Italian football.. Far more respected and knowledgable in world/European football than that of Hughes or Moyes..

But we play in ENGLAND!!! You say far more respected but is that because he is your preference.

No I say respected because he is.. He has far more pulling power than alot of managers. Deschamps at Villa would send shock waves around Europe...It would higher our profile as a club Instantly..

Hughes will just do another MON..

All his signings at City came in on high wages and some high trans fees.. He hasnt got the skills to find better and cheaper options.

He will sign the obvious..

We wont go forward under him.

Of course they came in on high wages and for high fees, that is the nature of Man City.Surely a more relevant comparison would be to the wages and fees at Fulham and Blackburn during his time.

Unless you think we are closer to Man City than Blackburn and Fulham....

Yes but its nature of those signings as well that was poor..He ha the whole world to chose from, yet he signed Wayne Bridge, SWP, Lescott??? Its clueless.. He had the opportunity to make Man City the best club in Europe yet he signed poor players on high wages and trans fees. Its what MON does..

We dont need that at Villa...He behind the times on the European stage. He comes in and he could buy N'Zogbia for 10m and stick him on 50k a week..That signing would show NO skill.. Yet Deschamps would come in and sign a player for 2m on 20k a week who would be 3 x better than N'Zogbia purely because he has a wider knowledge of the game.. Hughes is very limited on the European stage, as was MON.. He wont know about the players that are under the table..

Its like Houllier bringing Fofana to the club..OK he may not ever be a great player but Deschamps will do the same and more than like;y the players he brings in WILL be good. The likes of Lyon, Lille, Marseille etc have been selling their top players for mega money to Premierleague clubs over the years.. Nasri, Malouda, Essien, are to name a few.. Yet these clubs still have replacements that come in that become just as good..

I agree with everything except his signings at Man City. If you think about it, yes, Man City had all the wealth they have right now but they didn't have the same reputation. Mark Hughes was signing players to take Man City to the next level which he did. Even teams like Man City have to build 2 or 3 different teams before they can get to where they are now and that's exactly what he was doing.

If you can afford to buy Lescott at 20 odd million and you know he is going to be a solid premier league player, is there any point in trying to sign someone for a quarter of the price who may or may not do the same job just because they are cheaper?.

At Fulham he signed Salciedo and Dembele who have had good seasons, Dembele in particular had a very good start until his injury.Does this not show a good understanding of the European game?

Please let it be Ancelotti with Wilkins as his assistant.

And regarding Hughes, my mate in london is doing the plumping at his massive new house he has just bought. He is currently spending alot of money on this house. Doesnt mean anything but would someone be doing that if they were leaving, obviously things change and im sure he is not short of cash but still..

I hope for Ancelotti, what a record, one of the biggest manager names in football, would be a coup!

Carlo Ancelotti

Juventus

Milan

2003, 2007

2003, 2007

Chelsea

2009–10

Mark Hughes

Sweet F.A.

If we get Sparky, I'll back him because I think he's a capable pair of hands a safe option but if the club want to show ambition and get the good vibes around the place again, there is only one choice.

Well said Eamesy :clap:

Carlo Ancelotti

Juventus

Milan

2003, 2007

2003, 2007

Chelsea

2009–10

Mark Hughes

Sweet F.A.

If your looking at managers based on CV's Rafa Benitez would seem a good candidate not saying i want the bloke but would Mark Hughes be able to match up to Ancelotti and Benitez?

Manager

Real Madrid U-19s

Spain U-19 League (1): 1993

Spain U-19 Cup (2): 1991, 1993

Extremadura

Segunda División

Promotion (1): 1997–98

Tenerife

Segunda División (1): 2000–01

Valencia

La Liga (2): 2001–02, 2003–04

UEFA Cup (1): 2003–04

Liverpool

UEFA Champions League (1): 2004–05

FA Cup (1): 2005–06

FA Community Shield (1): 2006

UEFA Super Cup (1): 2005

Internazionale

Supercoppa Italiana (1): 2010

FIFA Club World Cup (1): 2010

Individual awards

Don Balón Award (1): 2001–02

UEFA Manager of the Year(2): 2003–04, 2004–05

FA Premier League Manager of the Month (5): November 2005, December 2005, January 2007, October 2008, March 2009

As much as i'd like Deschamps, if he did anything remotely good with us - in the spotlight of the premiership, big clubs would come in for him very quickly.

We would be that big club.. No reason at all why he couldnt build his legacy with us. He is young enough, he has the stage set for him all here now, good board, fan base etc..

He understands French, English, Spanish and Italian football.. Far more respected and knowledgable in world/European football than that of Hughes or Moyes..

I feel you're going to be disappointed.

I see the Birmingham Mail are saying that Ancellotti is the deal this morning. I wonder how true that is. What a wonderful swoop if we have him as manager.

Quote"Aston Villa fans have reacted in a positive manner to news that the club are keen on former Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti.

Our Man At The Villa broke the story this morning after earlier in the week bringing the news that the club would be parting company with Gerard Houllier Unquote

We can dream.

It is totally pointless matching up the honours of managers in my opinion. Is Ancelotti a more successful manager than Hughes? YES no doubt and I've never said he wasn't however at this time I believe Hughes is the best man for the job when you take everything into account.

Hughes will just do another MON..

All his signings at City came in on high wages and some high trans fees.. He hasnt got the skills to find better and cheaper options.

He will sign the obvious..

We wont go forward under him.

Of course they came in on high wages and for high fees, that is the nature of Man City.Surely a more relevant comparison would be to the wages and fees at Fulham and Blackburn during his time.

Unless you think we are closer to Man City than Blackburn and Fulham....

Yes but its nature of those signings as well that was poor..He ha the whole world to chose from, yet he signed Wayne Bridge, SWP, Lescott??? Its clueless.. He had the opportunity to make Man City the best club in Europe yet he signed poor players on high wages and trans fees. Its what MON does..

We dont need that at Villa...He behind the times on the European stage. He comes in and he could buy N'Zogbia for 10m and stick him on 50k a week..That signing would show NO skill.. Yet Deschamps would come in and sign a player for 2m on 20k a week who would be 3 x better than N'Zogbia purely because he has a wider knowledge of the game.. Hughes is very limited on the European stage, as was MON.. He wont know about the players that are under the table..

Its like Houllier bringing Fofana to the club..OK he may not ever be a great player but Deschamps will do the same and more than like;y the players he brings in WILL be good. The likes of Lyon, Lille, Marseille etc have been selling their top players for mega money to Premierleague clubs over the years.. Nasri, Malouda, Essien, are to name a few.. Yet these clubs still have replacements that come in that become just as good..

I agree with everything except his signings at Man City. If you think about it, yes, Man City had all the wealth they have right now but they didn't have the same reputation. Mark Hughes was signing players to take Man City to the next level which he did. Even teams like Man City have to build 2 or 3 different teams before they can get to where they are now and that's exactly what he was doing.

If you can afford to buy Lescott at 20 odd million and you know he is going to be a solid premier league player, is there any point in trying to sign someone for a quarter of the price who may or may not do the same job just because they are cheaper?.

At Fulham he signed Salciedo and Dembele who have had good seasons, Dembele in particular had a very good start until his injury.Does this not show a good understanding of the European game?

He bought Salcido off the back of a decent World Cup showing. A decent manager would have known about Salcido before the world cup and bought him for half the price.

Im saying his knowledge is very limited in comparison to some managers we could go out and get..

Deschamps would look at N'Zogbia and say, well I know a few players that are better than him that would cost less.. Hughes wouldnt know about this and would just sign N'Zogbia on 50k a week.

Deschamps could build the better and cheaper squad that would good enough to compete against the best in Europe. He could continue the trend right throughout into the acadamy.. Like I said he has knowledge in Spain, Italy and Engand, besides just France..And has the pull that goes with it.

But were not looking at Rafa are we!? :?

His comparison was a straight one between Ancelotti and Hughes.

That was the point I was trying to make.

God no, I don't want Rafa. :o