Situation vacant... who do you want as the new Villa manager

TrentVilla

Who would you like as our new manager?  

684 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like as our new manager?

• Moyes
    • Jol
    • Hughes
    • Coyle
    • Benitez
    • Lambert
    • Poyet
    • Martinez
    • Ancelotti
    • Deschamps
    • McLaren

Benitez is the man you want.

ducks

I know, but there are people calling for pro-Benitez dissidents to be "named and shamed", banned, or even (in good old Soviet style) committed to mental asylums.

It's horrendous! They're trying to trample on our basic human rights!

That would be me, the originator of Stalinist purges on this board.

actually it's because of his Scouse connections, we've just got rid of 1 Liverpool fan as manager and I'd rather not have another who's career has gone badly wrong over the last couple of years.

p.s. Whereabouts in Normandy are you, I get over to my Wife's sisters near Barfeleur at least once a year

Not far from Caen, home to France's nearest equivalent to SHA (except that they actually narrowly avoided relegation this season).

On Benitez, maybe my judgement is swayed by living abroad, and the fact that most of what I saw of Liverpool under him (until his last season) was in the Champions League, in which they always impressed me. Sometimes very boring away from home, but always looking superbly motivated and organised, and capable of outdoing teams who were man-for-man superior to them.

A bit like O'Neill's teams on their good days in that respect, only better at it, and also capable of playing really good football at times.

I know Benitez was sometimes criticised for prioritising the Champions League over trying to win the Premier League, but if that was the only thing we had to worry about...

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The headline from Corriere del Sport - "Ancelotti verso l'Aston Villa"

Reads "Ancelotti to Aston Villa" meaning Ancelotti according to them is going to Aston Villa.

Where exactly ???

http://www.corrieredellosport.it/

http://www.corrieredellosport.it/calcio/

Fourth video.

Like I said before, it's just going on about him being favourite, here's a transcript of the video:

Carlo Ancelotti è il grande favorito per la panchina dell'Aston Villa dopo l'addio di Gerard Houllier, mentre il Chelsea ha finalmente ottenuto il "sì" di Guus Hiddink. Secondo gli allibratori britannici l'ex manager di Stamford Bridge è il candidato più forte per guidare la prossima stagione i Villas, preferito a Mark Hughes (Fulham) e David Moyes (Everton). Il presidente del club di Birmingham, l'americano Randy Lerner, deve ancora prendere una decisione finale ma secondo i rumors che arrivano dalle Midlands per Ancelotti è pronto un contratto principesco di lunga durata. Prima di firmare però il tecnico italiano, che nelle scorse settimane è stato contattato anche da Arsenal e Tottenham, vuole conoscere i piani della società e ottenere rassicurazioni tecniche per puntare alla qualificazione in Champions League. Nell'ultima stagione i Villas hanno chiuso al nono posto, a 20 punti dalla zona Champions.

Nel frattempo Hiddink manda messaggi inequivocabili al Chelsea: è pronto a lasciare la Turchia per tornare in Premier League. Il tecnico olandese - in un'intervista al Sun - ha dato la sua disponibilità a prendere il posto dello stesso Ancelotti.

Just saying what we all know, he's favourite, he'd want assurances we'll go for champions league.

It also says the rumours are from the Midlands, so they're just going on the same information as everyone else.

I have a feeling that it'll be Moyes, at the moment.

I still haven't voted yet, but I'm pretty sure Ancelotti would be the most exciting appointment. However, it would be wrong to be disappointed (although, with high hopes for Carlo, it'd be hard not to) if we were to appoint someone like Moyes or Hughes, who I think could do a good job. I don't particularly like Benítez (nor do I like Hughes) but I think he'd do well, too.

I think McClaren would be a big gamble. He did very well at Middlesbrough and Twente, but very poorly at Wolfsburg and as the England coach.

As for Martin Jol, I liked him at Tottenham and originally wanted him to replace O'Neill. However, he's been far from fantastic at Ajax and I'm not sure his relaxed approach regarding the fitness of the players would benefit us at all.

why is anyone supporting mclown for the job being seen as a blue nose?? couldent it just being that i loved to see england fail hard and also likes twente??

Tongue in cheek, take no notice :winkold:

Besides that Maclaren is a clown. Great coach mind, but a muppet of a person.

i think there are a lot of better options out there!

why is anyone supporting mclown for the job being seen as a blue nose?? couldent it just being that i loved to see england fail hard and also likes twente??

SALIFOU

Plus he'd have to put on a Birmingham accent which I hear he's no good at

Carlo Ancelotti è il grande favorito per la panchina dell'Aston Villa dopo l'addio di Gerard Houllier, mentre il Chelsea ha finalmente ottenuto il "sì" di Guus Hiddink. Secondo gli allibratori britannici l'ex manager di Stamford Bridge è il candidato più forte per guidare la prossima stagione i Villas, preferito a Mark Hughes (Fulham) e David Moyes (Everton). Il presidente del club di Birmingham, l'americano Randy Lerner, deve ancora prendere una decisione finale ma secondo i rumors che arrivano dalle Midlands per Ancelotti è pronto un contratto principesco di lunga durata. Prima di firmare però il tecnico italiano, che nelle scorse settimane è stato contattato anche da Arsenal e Tottenham, vuole conoscere i piani della società e ottenere rassicurazioni tecniche per puntare alla qualificazione in Champions League. Nell'ultima stagione i Villas hanno chiuso al nono posto, a 20 punti dalla zona Champions.

Nel frattempo Hiddink manda messaggi inequivocabili al Chelsea: è pronto a lasciare la Turchia per tornare in Premier League. Il tecnico olandese - in un'intervista al Sun - ha dato la sua disponibilità a prendere il posto dello stesso Ancelotti.

It does a little more than say he is favourite, Don.

Carlo Ancelotti is the big favourite for the Aston Villa bench after the departure of Gerard Houllier, while Chelsea have finally got the "yes" from Guus Hiddink.

According to British bookmakers, the former manager at Stamford Bridge is the strongest candidate to lead Villa next season, who prefer him to Mark Hughes and David Moyes. The President of the Birmingham club, the American Randy Lerner, has yet to make a final decision, but according to rumours from the Midlands, Ancelotti is ready for a princely long-term contract. Before signing, however, the Italian coach, who in recent weeks has also been approached by Arsenal and Tottenham, wants to know the club's plans and wants to obtain assurances to point towards their ambition to qualify for the Champions League. Villa finished 9th last season, 20 points off the Champions League zone.

If rumours are correct (and they may not be) then he is willing if we can convince him of our own ambitions.

SALIFOU

Somebody had to put him forward :lol:

well going by your list Jol, hughes and moyes aren't wanted

going by your logic

77% don't want Moyes, 89% don't want hughes and your top choice of Jol 95% don't want him.

So i'd happily take the man that has got almost 50% of the vote than the rest.

If you don't want him just say, don't come up with ridiculous stat's to try and back up your arguement.

Praise the lord that we dont have the alternate vote system ;)

Fair enough Normandy but his press conferences, team selections and football that last season at Liverpool were dire and he didn't exactly cover himself in glory in Italy and he has a worse reputation than MON as being a control freak and playing internal politics

If we did get Ancelotti who do you think he would sign? I reckon he would bring in Pirlo. We would play 4-3-3 with pirlo petrov delph and makoun being rotated.

Sign Ancelotti up!

It does a little more than say he is favourite, Don.

Carlo Ancelotti is the big favourite for the Aston Villa bench after the departure of Gerard Houllier, while Chelsea have finally got the "yes" from Guus Hiddink.

According to British bookmakers, the former manager at Stamford Bridge is the strongest candidate to lead Villa next season, who prefer him to Mark Hughes and David Moyes. The President of the Birmingham club, the American Randy Lerner, has yet to make a final decision, but according to rumours from the Midlands, Ancelotti is ready for a princely long-term contract. Before signing, however, the Italian coach, who in recent weeks has also been approached by Arsenal and Tottenham, wants to know the club's plans and wants to obtain assurances to point towards their ambition to qualify for the Champions League. Villa finished 9th last season, 20 points off the Champions League zone.

If rumours are correct (and they may not be) then he is willing if we can convince him of our own ambitions.

So if he comes, we have ambition.

If not.....

Randy = Uncle Doug with a quaint accent :shock:

Im quite looking forward to how all this pans out, since we may have melt down one way or the other :lol:

The fact that some people wouldn't be happy with Ancelotti is stone cold proof that some people will NEVER be happy.

I think those people are just hedging there bets on Ancelotti not being our manager...to soften the blow.

If every villa fan isnt unilatterly happy when/if he is annouced as the new manager I'll eat my socks...

...no I wont, but I know I'll be happy ;)