Situation vacant... who do you want as the new Villa manager

TrentVilla

Who would you like as our new manager?  

684 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like as our new manager?

• Moyes
    • Jol
    • Hughes
    • Coyle
    • Benitez
    • Lambert
    • Poyet
    • Martinez
    • Ancelotti
    • Deschamps
    • McLaren

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would truly be a sign of ambition is to go for Ancelotti and Wilkins.. Say that we are after Champions League football and give him a transfer budget of between £50 and £100 million. I know Lerner isn't made of money, he's rich yes but we all know that the only way Ancelotti will get us to the Champions League is if he can truly go out and buy the best of the best. If we give him our usual £20-30 million budget and say "get us into the top 4 boss" he'll laugh and go elsewhere.

Here's the translation - just running it through Google Translate...

As the Don says - the article is about him being favourite but there is a bit more meat than that about offing of a long contract etc.

One would have thought the headline should have read "ancelotti favourite for".... not to. Certainly no where in that article is anyone suggesting

that Ancelotti has refused Villa at all at the moment anyhow.

"Carlo Ancelotti is the big favorite for the Aston Villa bench after the departure of Gerard Houllier, while Chelsea have finally got the "yes " from Guus Hiddink. According to British bookmakers the former manager of Stamford Bridge is the strongest candidate to lead them next season He is preferred to Mark Hughes (Fulham) and David Moyes (Everton). The President of the Birmingham club, the American Randy Lerner, has yet to make a final decision but according to rumors that arrive from the Midlands Ancelotti is ready for a princely long-term contract. Before signing, however, the Italian coach, who in recent weeks has also been approached by Arsenal and Tottenham, wants to know the company's plans and obtain assurances to point to the technical qualification in the Champions League. Villas have ended last season in ninth place, 20 points off the Champions League zone.

Meanwhile, Hiddink sends clear message to Chelsea is ready to leave Turkey to return to the Premier League. The Dutchman - in an interview with the Sun - has given its willingness to take the place of that Ancelotti."

What would truly be a sign of ambition is to go for Ancelotti and Wilkins.. Say that we are after Champions League football and give him a transfer budget of between £50 and £100 million. I know Lerner isn't made of money, he's rich yes but we all know that the only way Ancelotti will get us to the Champions League is if he can truly go out and buy the best of the best. If we give him our usual £20-30 million budget and say "get us into the top 4 boss" he'll laugh and go elsewhere.

This.

It does a little more than say he is favourite, Don.

Yeah but it's all fluff.

There's nothing concrete in there that says we've even approached him, they even state it's just rumours from the midlands. I think anyone can come to the conclusion he'd want a big contract and assurances we want to compete. It's just standard journalistic fluff around the point that he's favourite.

Here's the translation - just running it through Google Translate...

As the Don says - the article is about him being favourite but there is a bit more meat than that about offing of a long contract etc.

One would have thought the headline should have read "ancelotti favourite for".... not to. Certainly no where in that article is anyone suggesting

that Ancelotti has refused Villa at all at the moment anyhow.

"Carlo Ancelotti is the big favorite for the Aston Villa bench after the departure of Gerard Houllier, while Chelsea have finally got the "yes " from Guus Hiddink. According to British bookmakers the former manager of Stamford Bridge is the strongest candidate to lead them next season He is preferred to Mark Hughes (Fulham) and David Moyes (Everton). The President of the Birmingham club, the American Randy Lerner, has yet to make a final decision but according to rumors that arrive from the Midlands Ancelotti is ready for a princely long-term contract. Before signing, however, the Italian coach, who in recent weeks has also been approached by Arsenal and Tottenham, wants to know the company's plans and obtain assurances to point to the technical qualification in the Champions League. Villas have ended last season in ninth place, 20 points off the Champions League zone.

Meanwhile, Hiddink sends clear message to Chelsea is ready to leave Turkey to return to the Premier League. The Dutchman - in an interview with the Sun - has given its willingness to take the place of that Ancelotti."

the bit i've made bigger would suggest that this is bullshit unfortunately

i don't doubt randy's commitment money wise, aqs previously he has always back his manager, if ancelotti was to come i believe he would back him with what he needed, be that 20-30 million or 100 million, if randy has set his site's on ancelotti then i believe he will back him.

So if he comes, we have ambition.

If not.....

Randy = Uncle Doug with a quaint accent :shock:

I'd love it if we could put life into such simple terms :) FWIW I don't think your summary is the case. For one, we're assuming the newspaper isn't talking bullshit in the first place. Secondly, we're assuming that both sides of the discussion have the same ideas of what constitutes a legitimate time frame to achieve CL or even that they have the same ideas of what would feasibly get CL in this current Premier League landscape.

I think that if Ancelotti is hanging his hat on Villa convincing him that they'll provide him with enough money to get us into the CL then we won't be getting him. Not because we're not ambitious, but because we're not recklessly stupid and professionally negligent. If he doesn't think he's a good enough coach to be able to get 4th place without a bottomless pit of money then maybe he's not the man for us anyway. I don't want to be Leeds and we're not Man Citeh.

Just back from the beach where a guy in speedos and Villa tattoo told me it's going to be Martinez. So there you have it.

That is an awesome source.. I trust it. :D

If we did get Ancelotti who do you think he would sign? I reckon he would bring in Pirlo. We would play 4-3-3 with pirlo petrov delph and makoun being rotated.

Sign Ancelotti up!

Pirlo's off to Juventus by all accounts - Gattuso seems to be on his way from Milan though with nowhere in particular lined up.

Chickens - eggs - count etc....

Just herd it WILL be Ancelotti from 2 separate unreliable sources.

Wow, two unreliable sources?!

I know, but its quite weird. :shock:

I'm pretty sure that you could find several 'unreliable sources' on here that will tell you it's going to be Ancelotti. He is unemployed, joint favourite at Skybet, and seems to be the fans' choice.

I'm an unreliable source and I say that Ancelotti will sign within 48 hours on a 3 year contract. Hiddink will go to Chelsea only if Turkey fail to qualify for the European Championships, they will then turn to Van Basten. Jol will also take over at Fulham.

;)