Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

I get the feeling if he'd have a recall clause in his loan, Sherwood would've brought him back as soon as he came in.

That said talk of a new deal is bonkers to me, even a reduced wage would still be more than the majority of the squad are on and to me he's finished at this level anyway and could do with a fresh start somewhere else.

I wonder though if that means the rumoured takeover is pretty much done as no chance Lerner would be sanctioning a new deal if he was still counting the pennies. 

It's not about money, he's simply not good enough anymore to play for Villa. He'd almost definitely be picked up by another PL club but the days of non working poachers are at an end.

I was looking to read fans views on this surprising story but couldn't find Bent thread... Why so premature to put him in former players group? He's still a Villa player, or are Tonev, Bennett, Luna, Gardner and all the other players on loan in the 'other football' forum too? Odd.

• Like 1

Because at the time lambert and Bent wasnt exactly getting on. And his loan takes him up until the end of his contract. Makes sense and the players you mentioned situations arnt close to this one

Will do better under sherwood approach to  football but still dont want. Too old, too slow, too useless with the ball...rather keep our scouting approach of shopping abroad like weve been doing past few seasons. Will choose him as our 4th back up striker instead of weimann though...

Edited by gharperr

I just don't understand how people don't want Bent anywhere near the team, but we have one of the worst goal tallies in the entire football league. He is a proven goalscorer in the Premier League and we need goals. Sherwood sees it the same way. We've all seen how good Hutton has been after being frozen out by Lambert, Bent could've easily had a similar effect, especially when Benteke was hurt. Had lambert handled Bent better, we'd probably be in a safer position than we are right now. Even just as a sub, he's worth keeping in the squad, FFS.

• Like 3

i just dont understand how people think bent would ever been effective under lambert when all our attacking threat was only through the strikers own ability (well mostly benteke) and hardly any supply from midfield. And when you have 1 striker who can only kick the ball in the net (he was pretty poor at this at the opportunities he got though towards the end, but lolsample sizes ofc) and offers nothing more, it becomes a waste of a shirt in such a system. I honestly believe if bent was a first team player or a regular sub we would be relegated.

Obviously tactics has changed under sherwood so he may (and should) be a bit more effective, still think hes past it though for anyone trying to achieve mid table.

Also imo, using logic of "hutton has been good therefore bent could be" when bent has had chances to prove himself in premiership and didnt deliver is just bad logic and reaching . But this argument has gone round in circles many many times

Edited by gharperr

I was looking to read fans views on this surprising story but couldn't find Bent thread... Why so premature to put him in former players group? He's still a Villa player, or are Tonev, Bennett, Luna, Gardner and all the other players on loan in the 'other football' forum too? Odd.

For all of those other players, they'll still be under contract to Villa when their loans end (I think) - when Bent's loan ends, he won't be a Villa player, he'll be a free agent.

I just don't understand how people don't want Bent anywhere near the team, but we have one of the worst goal tallies in the entire football league. He is a proven goalscorer in the Premier League and we need goals. Sherwood sees it the same way. We've all seen how good Hutton has been after being frozen out by Lambert, Bent could've easily had a similar effect, especially when Benteke was hurt. Had lambert handled Bent better, we'd probably be in a safer position than we are right now. Even just as a sub, he's worth keeping in the squad, FFS.

You clearly don't remember his performance and effort coming on against Southampton when we were 1-0 up.

His clear lack of effort, movement and desire was a disgrace.

**** Bent, I wouldn't have him back here if he paid us.

Edited by rodders0223
  • Like 1

You clearly don't remember his performance and effort coming on against Southampton when we were 1-0 up.

His clear lack of effort, movement and desire was a disgrace.

**** Bent, I wouldn't have him back here if he paid us.

and he was captain that day

I watched him in a recent Derby game and he looked like he had lost that bit of speed he used to have when he was scoring regularly in the Premier League. He might be playing today and its on tv so whether that was due to an injury or its a permanent think. 

Its a few years since he was a regular goalscorer in the Premier League. Time moves on.

Â