Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

The race is on - who's out first!

Agreed that Bent has to go. Earns way too much for the role he has to fill, and with the current financial climate for 99% of clubs meaning that the higher earners mean less transfer fee, £6m will be good business for me.

BBC reporting that Pardew has confirmed that Newcastle looking for a couple of forwards, and that Bent and Remy top their list.

Shift them both, and reinvest in another 3 starters, and we are away.

If Benteke's handed in a transfer request, would it not make sense for us to keep Bent?

I agree. With better creative players around him, he will score goals. He just didn't fit into last years system.

I have never understood the crap Bent gets from people on this site. Saved us from relegation a couple of years ago.

And everybody loved him. If we sell him for as little as they are saying. Then by the time we have paid his contract off (if he doesn't agree to a pay off) we would probably lose money. How long is left on his contract? 1, 1.5 or 2 years? If its the latter we would lose money.

Remember when Darren Bent handed in a transfer request to AVFC after a first good season?

Or when we appointed a terrible manager who nearly relegated us?

Me neither. Been treated terribly by the club and now we're gonna pay for it.

• Like 1

Remember when Darren Bent handed in a transfer request to AVFC after a first good season?

Bent isn't the way forward, it's no coincidence he's never played in a good team. He scores goals yes and it's a great skill, but you need more in modern football.

I think we've made a mistake by letting him train with the youth, but I don't know wether we've made him, or it's a neutral decision.

• Like 1

Well he was being paid what 80k for the privilege?

No other club is going to pay him that kind of money so im sure it was a tough decision to stay

Well he was being paid what 80k for the privilege?

No other club is going to pay him that kind of money so im sure it was a tough decision to stay

Yes, he is already earning the maximum he is going to get in this game. 

If we were paying him 20k a week and another club was willing to pay him 100k he would be off in a shot. He is not sticking around here out of any kind of loyalty. 

Supposedly Bent has attracted interest from Wolfsburg according to Neil Moxley

I guess because Bas Dost didn't live up to the hype for his first season. I'd still straight swap though.

Yeah always a gamble signing a prolific striker from the eredivisie but I agree a swap would be better than having Bent doing nothing. 

The whole handling of Bent has been woeful. No idea who's been devising the strategy but the issue for me is either (a) we want him gone so we make him as sellable an asset as possible or ( b  ) we want him to stay so we integrate him into the squad and try to maximise his contribution to the team .

We have woefully failed to do either of these so we are faced with the prospect of selling him off for a pitifully small fee without the resources to replace him.

The fact that the Board seem to have managed to raise a lynch mob to cheer him out of the club (see various posts above) doesn't make this any better.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

The whole handling of Bent has been woeful. No idea who's been devising the strategy but the issue for me is either (a) we want him gone so we make him as sellable an asset as possible or ( b  ) we want him to stay so we integrate him into the squad and try to maximise his contribution to the team .

We have woefully failed to do either of these so we are faced with the prospect of selling him off for a pitifully small fee without the resources to replace him.

The fact that the Board seem to have managed to raise a lynch mob to cheer him out of the club (see various posts above) doesn't make this any better.

I'm not cheering him out the club

He did a good job for us and got well paid in the process

But his wages are to high he does not fit the current model or is rated by the current manager

A luxury we cannot afford

Edited by AshVilla

The manager doesn't rate him and has frozen him out.

Bents time at the club is over.

That doesn't make the way in which Bent has been treated by the manager right though.

Without the full picture, how do we know whether it is right or not? Given the full facts there is a chance each one of us would do the same.

• Like 1

but in the process have given benteke opportunity to maximise his contribution to the team and in the process at least quadrupled his value . We would never get for bent what we paid for him. This far into his contract and on his wages I would suggest the most we could get would be 10 or 12 m .

So the club, ergo manager, are bad at handling players as shown by the supposed loss of money on bent or wonderful because of the fact that we are going to get a huge profit on benteke.

but in the process have given benteke opportunity to maximise his contribution to the team and in the process at least quadrupled his value . We would never get for bent what we paid for him. This far into his contract and on his wages I would suggest the most we could get would be 10 or 12 m .

So the club, ergo manager, are bad at handling players as shown by the supposed loss of money on bent or wonderful because of the fact that we are going to get a huge profit on benteke.

But we could have done that without alienating Bent by freezing him out of squads in favour of Bowery, what exactly did playing Bowery over Bent achieve that we couldn't have been found out by sending him on loan which we will have to anyway as Bowery doesn't look like a Prem player yet.

You make it sound like this is something to be proud of. Maybe the fact he thought 'I have found somebody daft enough to pay me an obscene wage' played a part?

Don't remember too many clubs coming in for him either. I mean he is hardly flying off the shelf now is he?

A mid-table striker at best who we don't want/need.

Â