Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

Newcastle United look set to pull out of the race to sign Wigan Athletic striker Arouna Kone, 29, because he does not fit into the Magpies' "blueprint".

Full story: Newcastle Chronicle

Maybe it really was just a way to try and make us bring our asking price for Bent. If they were going to pay £5m for Kone then we should just ask for £6m, the last thing I'd want is for us to pay his wages for another year if he isn't in our plans, especially over a few million.

Newcastle United look set to pull out of the race to sign Wigan Athletic striker Arouna Kone, 29, because he does not fit into the Magpies' "blueprint".

Joe Kinnear will have problems pronouncing the name Arouna Koné so it's more likely they'll go for a simple name like Darren Bent. That's the "blueprint".

• Like 1

Maybe it really was just a way to try and make us bring our asking price for Bent. If they were going to pay £5m for Kone then we should just ask for £6m, the last thing I'd want is for us to pay his wages for another year if he isn't in our plans, especially over a few million.

I actually don't mind selling him even for £4m ..

I actually don't mind selling him even for £4m ..

I doubt Lambert cares what he goes for either. What Lerner wants to recoup from a huge investment is what the question is, and he's already taking a very big loss at the £8m asking price.

Why are we seemingly in such a hurry to get rid of him? Lerner has brainwashed the majority into thinking that wages are more important than the quality of our squad.

We have a one in two goal scorer at the club which gives us more options up front especially when Lambert likes to tinker with the formation depending on the opposition.

For me it's the hardline approach of pay what we want or go and take a chance on paying 8m for a Championship player.

Edited by Morpheus

I actually don't mind selling him even for £4m ..

I doubt Lambert cares what he goes for either. What Lerner wants to recoup from a huge investment is what the question is, and he's already taking a very big loss at the £8m asking price.

But he'll lose more if Bent stayed at the Bench for the coming season ! 

I'd rather sell him for 4m .. and get AMF as soon as possible !

Not many teams would give us what we want for Bent ..

Why are we seemingly in such a hurry to get rid of him? Lerner has brainwashed the majority into thinking that wages are more important than the quality of our squad.

We have a one in two goal scorer at the club which gives us more options up front especially when Lambert likes to tinker with the formation depending on the opposition.

For me it's the hardline approach of pay what we want or go and take a chance on paying 8m for a Championship player.

I think Helenius would start over him .. Weimann too .. As we're having Tonev in the wing .. so a lot of options ..

I don't think Lambert is planing in using him .. so why is the waste of wages ?

Talking about wages .. I don't having any problems paying someone like Benteke , Bents wages .. As long as he's superb ..

But to pay a third of fourth choice ridicuolus wages ?

Hopefully we'll get a mini bidding war

Hopefully we'll get a bid.

How times change

I remember a time we were all bricking it that we couldn't keep hold of him,  now we are begging for a bid

Still certain we will get the bids but always said Bent will drag long into the window.

It's a window classic - when things get more desperate he has what a number of clubs will need.

Problem is if our window strategy is contingent on his transfer we will likely come unstuck

Except the manager won't play him and has told him he is not even allowed to train with the other players so we would be mad not to try and get something for him.

Thats the manager's choice 'LondonLax' and for the life of me i can't understand it. I also couldn't understand the Bowery preference either and one can only surmise there has been words between both parties for Bent to be treated like that.

It is to Bent's credit however that he has generally kept his mouth shut as far as the press is concerned but i still think we should stick to our guns for the 8m as the player will score a bucketful of goals in the right system and i fear his impending transfer will come back to haunt us when we face him in the new season as he will be more than motivated to prove a point.

He does not fit into the system, ergo little point in keeping him irrespective of his goalscoring exploits pre-Lambert.

He cannot play the Benteke role and the two cannot play together, we have Helenius for backup and he seems more in the mould of Tekkers so Bent really is not needed.

Even in the Wigan game, yes he scored but after that he was non-existent, why can't people get their heads around this!!

Whilst I feel your point about Lerner applies generally to a number of fans, I think this case is different.

Bent is coming towards the end of his career at the top flight, probably has about 2 good seasons left in him. I do not feel he fits our system as we have a squad which suits playing one central striker and 2 'supporting strikers' e.g the Gabby and Weimann role's from the majority of last season. I don't think Bent offers enough as the sole central striker, not strong enough, doesn't win much in the air. I'd like to see him sold and us use the money on other areas of the team.

Whilst I feel your point about Lerner applies generally to a number of fans, I think this case is different.

Bent is coming towards the end of his career at the top flight, probably has about 2 good seasons left in him. I do not feel he fits our system as we have a squad which suits playing one central striker and 2 'supporting strikers' e.g the Gabby and Weimann role's from the majority of last season. I don't think Bent offers enough as the sole central striker, not strong enough, doesn't win much in the air. I'd like to see him sold and us use the money on other areas of the team.

Are we going to be playing the same system throughout the season though?

While i agree that it is not cost effective to keep a high wage earner on the bench i still feel Bent will offer us a lot depending on the system played and thats why i do not think we should just give him away to get rid.

Hypothetically speaking if we needed a striker and Bent was available at 8m from another club i wonder how many would be crying out for us to sign him?

He's an absolute snip at 8m in today's transfer market and i'm not so sure that you would only get another two seasons out of him.

Â