Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing is I don't think the likes of jol or any other really decent manager would join now when the threat of relegation is so high.

I would let kmac take over till the summer or if we could attract Gregory to do the same that would be great.

It pains me to say it but I don't think big Sam would be that terrible at the moment. We need to stay up, going down may take us years to recover properly. Big Sam would give us a better chance of staying up than sticking with houllier, next year he'd steady us even more and then we can look at appointing the bloke that's going to build a legacy here. Hopefully we won't **** that appointment up as much as we've done with houllier.

However, if the new man isn't tasked with getting rid of so many but more to tweak the squad and get the best out of some of those such as Collins, Dunne, Warnock, Petrov etc then maybe someone like Moyes, Coyle, Grayson etc could be the answer.

Whoever it is, I just hope he isn't French or Rafa Benitez! No disrespect to the French but I have had enough of concession after this season.

I think this would be a great time to take over at Aston Villa. A new Manager would pretty much have a free reign to bring in whoever he wanted and get rid of any of the players currently at Villa.

Yes, Van Gaal, no. If Houllier were to go, someone like Martin Jol is a manager I think the players would respond to.

For the record AVFCPOB, I wasn't suggesting we go for Van Gaal. I said his name because of the connections he is likely to have. I meant that type of manager as opposed to him specifically.

Like I said in my post, I think it's a difficult one to answer and I personally don't have any preferred choice at the moment. I just know that it isn't Houllier and will be glad when the disaster ends.

Martin Jol needs to be contacted and put in charge, he would have 2 weeks to get to know the players and get them up for the Everton game.

Van Gaal and the likes would not come to Villa Park.

Moyes or Coyle would be ideal Managers for us and also Paul Lambert but we are unlikely to get any of them atm.

i agree with jol, best optiion thats available. he may look at us and see how we are under-performing and fancy a crack. id even take mon back if it meant staying up

Most of the managers that have been mentioned have done nothing in their careers

unfortunately the likes of mourinho, hiddink and rijakaard are out of league so this the calibre of mangers will be looking at rich

Yes, Van Gaal, no. If Houllier were to go, someone like Martin Jol is a manager I think the players would respond to.

For the record AVFCPOB, I wasn't suggesting we go for Van Gaal. I said his name because of the connections he is likely to have. I meant that type of manager as opposed to him specifically.

Like I said in my post, I think it's a difficult one to answer and I personally don't have any preferred choice at the moment. I just know that it isn't Houllier and will be glad when the disaster ends.

Fair enough but he's apparently a complete cock and if they don't like Houllier....then they ain't going to like Van Gaal.

I don't see why everyone is saying Jol, he's such an average manager.

Got Spurs to a decent finish spending a lot of money, but now Redknapp is there and is doing a lot better.

Flopped at Ajax, the majority of their fans wanted him gone just like us with Houllier. The inexperienced De Boer is now doing a better job.

At Hamburg got 5th place and two semi finals which he both lost. Fair enough he did ok there.

What is most annoying is seeing the reaction that Liverpool have had under a new manager, even WBA have had a lift under Hodgson. Sometimes a manager just isn't right for a club but we are the one's who will do nothing whilst our club is **** up by Houllier.

I don't see why everyone is saying Jol, he's such an average manager.

Got Spurs to a decent finish spending a lot of money, but now Redknapp is there and is doing a lot better.

Flopped at Ajax, the majority of their fans wanted him gone just like us with Houllier. The inexperienced De Boer is now doing a better job.

At Hamburg got 5th place and two semi finals which he both lost. Fair enough he did ok there.

Such an uninformed opinion of Martin Jol. The only blip on his record was this season at Ajax and something was wrong there from the start fot he season when he was close to leaving for Fulham. The season before he broke many of Ajax club records.

He got Spurs to finish 5th after not spending alot of money. He spent £10 million and had the 9th highest wage bill in the Prem. Comolli was the guy who spent most of the money and that was the following season. Comolli spent big money on good players that simply weren't ready to play at Prem level. When Jol was in charge of transfers he brought in low cost, senior pros, for little or no money, who were able to make an immediate impact.

At Hamburg he had the best win perecentage for 30+ years and the second best in the clubs history. Do you even know the injury problems they had at the end of the season when they fell out of title contention? Also during his year at Hamburg they made a net profit of 30 million euros, selling their 3 best players. He only finished 8 points of the title and was challenging for the title for all but the final weeks when injuires caught up with them. Fans are far too quick to judge a coach on what he's won. But anyone must be able to tell the Van Der Vaart, De Jong and Kompany are worth more than 8 points in the Bundesliga. Had they not had to sell those 3, I'm sure he'd have won the title.

He was twice named Dutch Coach of the Year when at RKC and took them into Europe. He also won Roda their first trophy in 30 years despite the club going bankrupt. If you look closely at Jols record in very impressive and it would be hard for any coach to have done a better job at most of the clubs he's been at. The only blip was with what happend at Ajax. Do you really belive Mourinho could have taken the Spurs side he took to 5th. Or could he have done a better job at HSV considering the players the sold and injuries they had? I'm sure there are other equally as good managers out there, that are equally as under rated as Martin Jol, but as a Spurs and Hamburg fan I'm more aware of him. Fans judge mangers far too much on the basics of their CVs and don't look at the circumstances in whch they were working. On paper Harry Redkapps CV was pretty unimpressive and most Spurs fans didnt want him because of it. I bet there are quite of few mangers out who like Jol and Redknapp, don't have the great CVs but have the qulity to really take you forward as a club. It just requires your board to do some real in depth research, rather than just looking at what a manager has won.