Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

forget hughes, get owen coyle. the guy is a complete class act manager

i know we are in a mess but we are a far bigger club than bolton. he could achieve wonderful things here

Bolton is his club though, he played for them and loves the club. Can't see him leaving them for us. Only Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool, Man Utd n City n Arsenal can get him I reckon.

forget hughes, get owen coyle. the guy is a complete class act manager

i know we are in a mess but we are a far bigger club than bolton. he could achieve wonderful things here

Coyle is a good manager but there is no way on earth that he would leave Bolton at this point to come and manage us. Maybe in the summer, but not now.

Mentioned earlier in the thread that Hughes would be one of my first choices should we stay up in the summer (couldn't see him taking the risk and walking prior to that in all honesty).

But a few points to consider:

1. McCleish? I know, I know. But think about it. One thing he should be able to sort out if nothing else is the defence. It would also have the added bonus of detestablising that lot at a time when they can least afford it. Two birds, one stone.

If we go down -and that's a distinct possibility now- he'd also be a decent bet to get us straight back up.

Make no mistake about it, if he was approached I reckon he'd go for it. He was asked at the start of the season would he be interested in the Villa job and rather than give a flat out 'not interested, got a job to do here' he gave a lot of waffle about not wanting to talk about hypothetical situations and so forth.

2. Another (minor) plus in the Allardyce column would be his relationship with Warnock at Blackburn. He knows him, and helped get the best form out of him there, resulting in an England call up Player of the Season award and eventual big money move to us.

I know Warnock has burnt his bridges in the eyes of many here, but I've never heard him publicly slate the club. We only have MM and a few other ITK's to go on (I don't actually doubt them BTW), so there could be a route back if he shows willing.

Forget any of that nonsense about forcing players to move closer to Brum, to me that just seemed like sabre rattling. Alan Wright was one of our longest serving players and he made the commute from the NW, ditto Paul McGrath. It takes what, an hour/ hour 10 minutes at that time of day?

In the position we're in we can't afford to be pissing off and alienating players, that's just the simple reality of the situation.

We better start thinking about promoting from within or looking at Championship managers because chances are we're going down. That's how hopeless I feel now regarding the club.

I suspect if Houllier does go in the near future, we'll get McClaren. Think he'll fit the bill on most counts of what the board wants - history of bringing through young players, experience in this league plus should now have good links in Europe. On top of that he's currently available and would likely jump at the chance to be back in PL with a big club.

I'm not a fan of his, but this is just my hunch.

I would like Coyle but at the same time I would like someone with an eye for talent and somebody more proven if we want to kick on. Martin Jol wouldn't be a bad shout but Spurs have gotten all those players in through Frank Arnesen and Damien Comoli. Just think as badly as we need a new manager, we need a world class eye for talent. 3-4 years ago I think we could have brought in Modric, Walker, Bale, Berbatov and etc.

I would love Coyle and a world class scout or whatever their titles are.

Jol brought in those 2. It's always a point of contention amongst Spurs fans, but i don't know why as it's been spoken about in the press. Berbatov even says in his biography that he almost joined the year before (when neither Comolli or Arnesen were at the club) and only joined after several meetings with Jol. Jol even claimed being behind the signing Bale when there were rumours of him being sold to Nottingham Forest and he couldn't get into the side. He's hardly going to take credit for a player seen by many as a flop if he wasn't really the force behind him signing. Yet despite these things, thee 2 players are always listed as Comolli inspired signings. Oh and Walker was signed by Redknapp at the beginning of last season.

I still rate Jol above Redknapp purely as a coach. You can't compare the two as managers, as Jol didn't have that role. It's hard to rate Jol as a manager given he's worked either in Europe or at Spurs as head coach and not been in charge of transfers. But as I said he was behind the Bale and Berbatov signings. He also had a brief period between Arnesen leaving and Comolli being appointed. He signed 4 players of which 3, Lee, Davids and Jenas were seen as big success's and key to our top 4 challenge. Rasiak was seen as a total flop. But all in all he bought these 4 players for less than £10 million and having finished 9th the previous season, we only missed out on the CL on the final day due to food poisoning. His sacking was a disgrace.

Let's be honest, Houllier is going nowhere until the summer at the earliest. They won't sack him right now, if at all. Even if they did it would be silly bringing in a new manager for 8 games. I'd rather see Kevin Mac in charge again for the remainder as he already knows the players and has the respect of the dressing room.

IF by some major miracle we stay in the Premier League then I'd love to see David Moyes as Villa manager. Whether he'd come to us or not is a different story. Failing that I'd go for Martin Jol. I really liked him at Tottenham and I think that he'd do a great job for us. Unfortunately I think we will go down and the likelihood of Moyes leaving Everton for the Championship or us attracting someone like Jol would be minimal. I honestly couldn't think of a decent realistic manager that we could get to lead us back to the Premier League. Paul Lambert has worked wonders but he's on the verge of a promotion to the Premier League, why would he guide Norwich to the Premier League then leave?