Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

Phil Thompson is beginning to look like a very wise man now.

I'd **** Houllier off NOW. Get Johnny Gregg in untill end of the season and see what happens. Either that or give him a 1-year deal. If we go down, then I reckon he'd get us back up.

If we go down and this donkey stays, then get ready to go down again next year.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've often wondered when Houllier was **** about asking any **** with Liverpool connections to work alongside him - Thomson, Hamann, Staunton, and the useless **** we ended up with G Mac, why he didn't look for someone with Villa connections to do the job, someone who could do what he must have known he couldn't - instil the same passion in the club that they had, the same pride, the same heart. That man could well have been JG. Not so sure I'd have him back as manager but he would have made an excellent assistant.

In fairness he has hired Gordon Cowans as 1st team coach. If we had Thommo as assistant we wouldnt be in this situation.

Dont think JG would come back assistant and he would be Keeganesque disaster to make him manager. I liked him but after Villa he never really managed anybody

Phil Thompson is beginning to look like a very wise man now.

I'd **** Houllier off NOW. Get Johnny Gregg in untill end of the season and see what happens. Either that or give him a 1-year deal. If we go down, then I reckon he'd get us back up.

If we go down and this donkey stays, then get ready to go down again next year.

Thompson would not give a yes or a no answer at the very start. Anybody else would have straight out denied they were interested if they really did not want to take the position. The fact he appears to have thought about it, and no doubt held discussions with Houllier should have rang alarm bells.

A few chats with Houllier and he would have recognised that Houllier was past it.

So what if the new manager is not liked by the players, they moan about his training and continue doing **** all.

Not even the next messiah could sort it out in such a short space of time.

Then that will be the boards fault i assume?

or maybe he looked at Collins and Dunne and said they are untrainable ;).

In fairness Thommo wanted to stay on Sky and i think only club he would consider going to is Liverpool

Forget long term replacement for now. Its the next 8 games/here and now that matters. A short sharp injection of passion, pride, enthusiasm is what is needed. The ability is already there. Someone who can come in and galvanise the players and fans and bring the whole thing back together for the next couple of months.

Gregory actually came in February 98 when we were struggling and massively under achieving ( 16th I think ) and immediately had a huge impact and we went on a great run and qualified for Europe finishing 7th.

Long term I'm not so sure but as a short sharp kick up the arse in the right direction he'd be ideal.

So what if the new manager is not liked by the players, they moan about his training and continue doing **** all.

Not even the next messiah could sort it out in such a short space of time.

Then that will be the boards fault i assume?

Thats a risk worth taking for me, Like i said i'd rather see us go down by actually trying instead of this tippy tappy football. Under Houllier can you actually see us grind out a result because i can't. Also i like how you try and bring MON into every post you make, you looking a bit silly now when you constantly whinged about his tenure. You don't realise what you have till it's gone.

Also we can forget about Lambert. He will stay there to see out their promotion charge, and why shouldn't he? It is no easy accomplishment. He would probably want to stay there next year if they are promoted.

Could we get Moyes? Meh, I dunno.

How about this time we appoint someone who isn't useless as a manager, and actually manages the players? Most of our players have played successfully under many managers, you know.

Artetasgirl may or may not be able to shed some light on this but there's some scouse bloke on 5Live atm saying Everton are closer now than they've ever been to being taken over by a consortium and rumour has it Moyes isn't seen as the man to take the club forward once a agreement has been reached.

This really is a difficult question to answer. I guess it all depends on how much money there is to spend and whatthe remit is from the board. If they want the next manager to oversee a clear out of Warnock, Beye, Carew, NRC, Petrov, Salifou, Dunne, Collins, Guzan, Osbourne, Young x2, Heskey etc then i would say that someone more high profile manager such as Jol, Van Gaal, Hughes etc would be the answer. They will need to have contacts that can get us quality players in without having to pay over the odds for them like Martin O'Neill did.

However, if the new man isn't tasked with getting rid of so many but more to tweak the squad and get the best out of some of those such as Collins, Dunne, Warnock, Petrov etc then maybe someone like Moyes, Coyle, Grayson etc could be the answer.

Whoever it is, I just hope he isn't French or Rafa Benitez! No disrespect to the French but I have had enough of concession after this season.