Alan Hutton

Rich_D

Surprises me that any of the coaching staff or indeed the player himself hasn't apparently worked on his crossing or passing ability which many have said is poor. Even a slight improvement would have made him into a much better player with his willingness to go forward.

Nevertheless he has always given 100% in the games I've seen him play and seems the type of player that Bruce would offer a new deal to.

Becoming a bit of a cult hero with the fans as well maybe for the wrong reasons but I also feel the player and club should move on with his best season at the Villa behind him.

it's not a disaster if he's still here next season given we'll still be in the championship but we are better off getting rid. As by then with any luck de laet will have recovered enough to be back up to Bree 

We've had some tough times in recent years but surely it's not so bad that Alan Hutton is considered a cult hero?

If so I think I'm going to have to give up watch football and the Villa, obviously these are two different things)

If he ever scores, Hutton will cause a meltdown of epic proportions...

Cult hero... I think so!

On a serious note, I don't see why we can't have him as a squad player, as our number 2 right back for next year?

19 hours ago, dn1982 said:

Which bit don't you agree with? That Bree should start? Or Bacuna does better there? Or Hutton is crap? I guarantee I'm not on my own on any of these and I'd say most agree with most of these if not all. The fact every manager has tried to replace him for the last 5 years goes to show that they agree aswell! 

All of it.

Bree shouldn't start (Hutton should), Bacuna doesn't do better than Hutton there and Hutton isn't crap.

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

I'm shocked so many people are even considering that a 1 year deal for him would be a good idea. Does two half decent performances in a row somehow make everyone forget the six years of appalling play that preceded them? We are 15th in the championship because we have had players of the standard of Alan Hutton in the team for far, far too long. The sooner we get rid of him, and players of his ilk, the better.

But he's 32 and runs forward alot* so lets give him a new deal. 

(*he's not quite so good at running back into his defensive position) . 

No - he's never been that bad, though.

His main flaws are being woeful at crossing the ball and getting caught out of position at times.  It just happens that he technically isn't good and has played at the club during our worst period of recent times.

For all he lacks technically with the ball, he puts in much, much more effort than a fair amount of our players - past and present - and gets into the right positions with regularity.  Take a look at Jack Grealish, for example.  Technically proficient, apparently a Villa fan - nowhere near the same level of effort or movement as Hutton.

That said, Hutton shouldn't get a new deal at Villa because we have sufficient cover at right-back and he's 32.

Out of interest, who are the "players of his ilk"?

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, bobzy said:

All of it.

Bree shouldn't start (Hutton should), Bacuna doesn't do better than Hutton there and Hutton isn't crap.

So if he's so good why does every manager try to replace him? We've bought 2 this season alone and if it wasn't for injury he'd be no where near the team. 

1 minute ago, dn1982 said:

So if he's so good why does every manager try to replace him? We've bought 2 this season alone and if it wasn't for injury he'd be no where near the team. 

a]  "Every manager"?  Who has "every manager" replaced him with?

b]  Where have I said he's "so good"?

c]  The 2 we've bought this season - one (De Laet) is a versatile defender, the other is a 19 year old lad.  Hutton is out of contract in the summer.  It would be **** stupid to have 1 right back, about to leave the club, with nothing in the pipeline.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Poor awareness from Adomah then.

Think about it. Hutton played a short pass just outside our box to Adomah facing our goal a player either side of him.

23 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Why do they always end up playing him?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Why do they always end up playing him?

I'm going with some Scottish witchcraft as he ends up the last one standing. De Laet out for season then Bree who was ever present gets an injury there's more to it I tell you. Just thought didn't Lyden play right back last year aswell? He's been crocked all season too. 

Edited by dn1982

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

If/when he does go he deserves a proper send off.

You can't win on VT.

They slate players for "not caring", being "unprofessional" and having no "loyalty".

Yet they will find a multitude of excuses for players who genuinely don't give a toss if they have scored goals, or shown glimpses of quality.

Goes to show in the end no one actually gives a f*ck about any of the "caring", "effort" , or "loyalty".

Would rather be with the sexy slapper who is akin to the village bike. As a pose to the slightly chubby, pretty woman who loves and takes care of you.

Lol

Who mentioned anything about other players?  If I played for Villa I guarantee id be the most loyal hard working person on and off the field.  Still wouldn't be any good and that's the bottom line in the argument.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He is one of the most well liked players we have if the reaction he gets at games is anything to go by and I don't sense anything like a desire to be giving him a send off. If that is to be the case though come the end of the season, as appears to be likely at the moment, then he will certainly get a good one.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Who mentioned anything about other players?  If I played for Villa I guarantee id be the most loyal hard working person on and off the field.  Still wouldn't be any good and that's the bottom line in the argument.

Not even the people praising him are trying to proclaim how "good" he is.

He is simply getting credit where it's due, was he good yesterday, and against Derby? Yes.

Are we not allowed to give players credit when they have a good performance and acknowledge it's well deserved based on their,character?

Thats why some say "Hard work beats talent".

Whether he is rated or not, the fans are giving him credit for his,character, want to see him do well and happy when he does.

I don't get how it's almost as if some people genuinely get pissed off when a player they don't like or rate get evaluated/praised on the factual.

I saw how the last debate in the Gabby thread about him having a good performance went down.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

He is simply getting credit where it's due, was he good yesterday, and against Derby? Yes.  

against Derby?

We could have been goals down had their left side been any good.

Amazes me how a few good tackles or headers override the fact that he causes a lot of his own problems, by bad positioning, getting caught in possesion upfield, uncapable of passing or throwing a ball to our players or not getting back into position quick enough.

he's not Cafu, he's a defender. He tries but he's simply not good.

I don't get how it's almost as if some people genuinely get pissed off when a player they don't like or rate get evaluated/praised on the factual.  

But what about the facts that you are not mentioning?

His game is as full of mistakes as good play. His mistakes leave others exposed to making mistakes themselves.

That fact is not a positive one and cannot be outweighed just by hard work.

7 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

You can't win on VT.

They slate players for "not caring", being "unprofessional" and having no "loyalty".

Yet they will find a multitude of excuses for players who genuinely don't give a toss if they have scored goals, or shown glimpses of quality.

Goes to show in the end no one actually gives a f*ck about any of the "caring", "effort" , or "loyalty".

Would rather be with the sexy slapper who is akin to the village bike. As a pose to the slightly chubby, pretty woman who loves and takes care of you.

Lol

Give me the chubby one every time :ph34r:

19 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

His commitment during his whole time here can never be faulted even last season when to a man those around him threw the towel in he kept trying.

i think its more impressive considering how he was treated for about 2 seasons. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, supermon said:

If he ever scores, Hutton will cause a meltdown of epic proportions...

Cult hero... I think so!

Exactly. Cult hero doesn't need to be a quality player, it's one that fans take to. Just listen to the Holte whenever he makes a tackle, our away support during warm ups. They appreciate him and get behind him, because he gives his all.

Nobody is saying he's a great player. He's an alright defender and poor going forward. He happens to be in good form at the moment and as such deserves the credit. Lack of willingness to do that is just some bizarre agenda or they don't actually watch the games.

• Like 1

Â