Alan Hutton

Rich_D

31 minutes ago, carewjust4u said:

He is literally better in every single way at LB then Taylor. He looks a completely different player; wins headers, is decisive , is direct but doesn't over-commit, brings the ball inside and makes tackles.

Please please keep him there.

:huh:

I disagree with every point you've made there. I'm not a huge Taylor fan, but Hutton lumped away every ball he got today. It was as if he was trying not to find a Villa shirt. Can't even overlap on the left, so Adomah was left isolated. Awful player imo.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

I disagree with every point you've made there. I'm not a huge Taylor fan, but Hutton lumped away every ball he got today. It was as if he was trying not to find a Villa shirt. Can't even overlap on the left, so Adomah was left isolated. Awful player imo.

I'm sorry but that just isn't true at all, he played many balls into Adomah's feet. The problem with both players is that when they overlap, they do not have the pace to get back and get into position and it causes us great issues. Obviously in an ideal world we need much better full-backs, but I cannot see what Taylor brings that Hutton doesn't do better. Can you honestly tell me something Taylor does well, or tell me a game that Taylor has played well in?

I was thinking today, I wonder if anyone ever tried to convert Hutton to a defensive midfielder? He has bags of energy and aggression need for that position plus he is two-footed and is better defensively than he is going forward. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, carewjust4u said:

I'm sorry but that just isn't true at all, he played many balls into Adomah's feet. The problem with both players is that when they overlap, they do not have the pace to get back and get into position and it causes us great issues. Obviously in an ideal world we need much better full-backs, but I cannot see what Taylor brings that Hutton doesn't do better. Can you honestly tell me something Taylor does well, or tell me a game that Taylor has played well in?

As I said, I'm not a fan of Taylor, but Hutton is horrendous. He has literally no technical ability, which is one of many reasons why we're unable to keep the ball. On the left he's also forced to move inside, which is rarely what you want from a full-back. He's poor defensively too, constantly defending too narrow in the knowledge that he's getting skinned if he engages the winger. If we're content with the likes of him, Whelan, Johnstone, etc in ou starting XI and Bruce in the dugout then we'll never get anywhere imo.

8 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

As I said, I'm not a fan of Taylor, but Hutton is horrendous. He has literally no technical ability, which is one of many reasons why we're unable to keep the ball. On the left he's also forced to move inside, which is rarely what you want from a full-back. He's poor defensively too, constantly defending too narrow in the knowledge that he's getting skinned if he engages the winger. If we're content with the likes of him, Whelan, Johnstone, etc in ou starting XI and Bruce in the dugout then we'll never get anywhere imo.

If you look at www.whoscored.com/Players/6434/Show/Alan-Hutton you can see he has an average rating on 7.04 whilst playing LB for us, which would support my point about why he is a better option than Taylor at LB.

I think we both agree that they are both poor footballers, but your opinion of his performanes at left-back are incorrect. I think that to say he has no technical ability is very harsh, his short passing game is actually pretty decent.

What I'm trying to say, is that at RB he is terrible and a liability..whereas the LB posiion forces him to play in a way that isn' prone to leaving us at risk.

I would much rather we had a decent left-back and didn't have to play either, but Hutton is definitely a better option in that position no question.

46 minutes ago, carewjust4u said:

If you look at www.whoscored.com/Players/6434/Show/Alan-Hutton you can see he has an average rating on 7.04 whilst playing LB for us, which would support my point about why he is a better option than Taylor at LB.

I think we both agree that they are both poor footballers, but your opinion of his performanes at left-back are incorrect. I think that to say he has no technical ability is very harsh, his short passing game is actually pretty decent.

What I'm trying to say, is that at RB he is terrible and a liability..whereas the LB posiion forces him to play in a way that isn' prone to leaving us at risk.

I would much rather we had a decent left-back and didn't have to play either, but Hutton is definitely a better option in that position no question.

Agree that he's a liability at RB.

Disagree that he's any better at LB.

Agree that ideally we'd have a better LB than both Taylor and Hutton.

Disagree that Hutton at LB is preferable to Taylor. Taylor is at least somewhat capable with the ball at his feet, and attempts to defend proactively.

4 hours ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

To me you've just described Taylor not Hutton. 

4 hours ago, villarocker said:

I was thinking today, I wonder if anyone ever tried to convert Hutton to a defensive midfielder? He has bags of energy and aggression need for that position plus he is two-footed and is better defensively than he is going forward. 

for the really tough games Bruce might try squeeze him in between Whelan and Jedinak ;)

• Like 2

Hutton can take turns with Taylor as the LB that stays back and doesn't help our attack. Taylor because that's his way of playing, Hutton because (as RB) his runs forward are always useless, and he gets caught out of position so often.

Elmo should play RB, his passes and crosses are at times useful.

Edited by AVTuco

Â