The Arab Spring and "the War on Terror"

legov

Erdogan will attack their constitution which had prevented him going further down the hardliner Islamist path he wants to go, which will fundamentally alter Turkey, and how it positions and aligns itself in the world.

In short, Turkey is not going to be the country it's been positioning itself as for the past couple of decades much longer, and that's going to lead to civil unrest in the more cosmopolitan areas of the country even more than there already is, and cause more unrest in the region generally.

Erdogan unchecked is unlikely to be good.

I could be wrong but I don't think he has won by a sufficient margin to change the constitution so although I agree that is his desire in short I think the answer to th question is not much in the short term.

Turkey's direction of travel will continue to be away from real democracy, equality and human rights and towards the past, ideals of the old empire and towards rogue nation state.

Its a one way route to isolation from Europe and a collision course with Russia.

I could be wrong but I don't think he has won by a sufficient margin to change the constitution so although I agree that is his desire in short I think the answer to th question is not much in the short term.

Sadly not mate, his AKP party got an outright majority so he can do what he likes - and undoubtedly will. Very very bad news for Turkey and the region.

Sadly not mate, his AKP party got an outright majority so he can do what he likes - and undoubtedly will. Very very bad news for Turkey and the region.

I know they've got a majority but I didn't think they had the required number of seats to change the constitution? 

So the final nail has been hammered into Turkey's coffin.

While Erdoğan can't change the constitution he can at least take that to a referendum. He's rigged enough ballot boxes to take him damn near though.

What pisses me off most though is the complete inadequacy of the opposition. Spineless and content to sit on their seats without pushing hard for marginal seats. They did this to Turkey just as much as Erdoğan rigged it.

I'm glad I'm out of here.

There will be rioting and worse I think - Turkey's middle class don't want a return to a religious state, the women especially - the country has a foot in a number of worlds, if Erdogan tries to move it back to a full on Muslim state then I think he will find trouble from the cities on its West coast and from the Kurds on its east coast - I'm not sure even a large majority would give him the power to keep that under control.

I suspect his aims are less to do with installing a Turkish caliphate and more to do with installing a Presidential dictatorship run for the benefit of the President - a sort of banana Republic for Eurasia. He built himself a palace last year, you should see it, it's ridiculously huge - it looks nothing like a mosque - his talent, and I think his aims, will be in pretending to keep all of Turkey's factions happy enough, for the benefit of himself. 

Edited by OutByEaster?

Pure ignorance here - but, I have no idea what is happening in Turkey. 

Anybody able to explain why it's all bad news? Keen to know. 

AWOL and others are the ones for the detail, some very informed people in this thread.

In a Channel 5 news style though.... Turkey had an election yesterday in which the Israel hating, Islamisit, terrorist supporting PM won even greater support.

He is trying to change Turkey from secular democracy to Islamist dictatorship/presidency.

Far far more likely but the footage is curious. And I agree a bomb on board is the only plausible at they could have brought it down but you are right re Russian airlines.

Define external forces?

Would they know they plane flying overhead was Russian at that altitude even if they could shoot it down?

Pure ignorance here - but, I have no idea what is happening in Turkey. 

Anybody able to explain why it's all bad news? Keen to know. 

AWOL and others are the ones for the detail, some very informed people in this thread.

In a Channel 5 news style though.... Turkey had an election yesterday in which the Israel hating, Islamisit, terrorist supporting PM won even greater support.

He is trying to change Turkey from secular democracy to Islamist dictatorship/presidency.

He's also the President that agreed and oversaw the building of US air force bases on Turkish soil. I'm not sure his principles are his driving factor, I'm not sure he wants anything more than power, the more i read the more I'm convinced of this, he'll keep playing people off against each other and watch the whole thing merrily from his £384m house. 

Â