The Arab Spring and "the War on Terror"

legov

Interesting.

In other news more people dying in Israel and Palestine. Israel have decided to demolish the family homes of some of the stabbers as a form of punishment.

Pretty much the only reason Intifada 3.0 isn't already well under way (and I thought it would be by now) is the inability of Hamas and the PalestinianAuthority  to reach a common position - i.e. "Let's start an Intifada".

That's symptomatic of the broader Palestinian problem writ large - if they can't unite within they will never effectively challenge Israel without. 

That said it's probably a blessing in disguise because given the regional security environment they would take a pasting for zero positive outcomes. 

Interesting.

In other news more people dying in Israel and Palestine. Israel have decided to demolish the family homes of some of the stabbers as a form of punishment.

Pretty much the only reason Intifada 3.0 isn't already well under way (and I thought it would be by now) is the inability of Hamas and the PalestinianAuthority  to reach a common position - i.e. "Let's start an Intifada".

That's symptomatic of the broader Palestinian problem writ large - if they can't unite within they will never effectively challenge Israel without. 

That said it's probably a blessing in disguise because given the regional security environment they would take a pasting for zero positive outcomes. 

what do you think will happen here AWOL?

Besides I've no desire to visit anywhere where I might get killed on a beech or have my head detached.

Don't go to Mexico then.  Happened to Kirsty Macoll.

I feel really bad, but I lol'd. 

Oh absolutely I am, which is why I'm so aware of Turkey's history. I agree there are plenty of reasons to go from that perspective but most people go for cheap sun.

Given that Turkey thinks it's appropriate to tear gas survivors of a bomb then personally I'd rather look for another country to visit.

As and when or if Turkey has a non Islamist, non terrorist supporting government and stops killing its own citizens then it might be somewhere I visit.

Until then I'll avoid it as I've done with places like Israel which from a historical perspective I'd love to visit.

Besides I've no desire to visit anywhere where I might get killed on a beech or have my head detached.

I know you are, which is why I was curious about your previous statement :) 

I agree, though. And I've actually been there on your typical holiday, and wasn't too impressed anyway. Since then, the political direction has been rather scary indeed, although I'd might still risk a trip to Istanbul which I imagine would be quite interesting. 

Oh absolutely I am, which is why I'm so aware of Turkey's history. I agree there are plenty of reasons to go from that perspective but most people go for cheap sun.

Given that Turkey thinks it's appropriate to tear gas survivors of a bomb then personally I'd rather look for another country to visit.

As and when or if Turkey has a non Islamist, non terrorist supporting government and stops killing its own citizens then it might be somewhere I visit.

Until then I'll avoid it as I've done with places like Israel which from a historical perspective I'd love to visit.

I know you are, which is why I was curious about your previous statement [emoji4] 

I agree, though. And I've actually been there on your typical holiday, and wasn't too impressed anyway. Since then, the political direction has been rather scary indeed, although I'd might still risk a trip to Istanbul which I imagine would be quite interesting. 

You might bump into me. That's more scary than any political situation.

Interesting.

Seems entirely proportionate.... If your Israeli.... I guess.

If they use baseball bats then the appropriate response is a chemical weapon attack on the nearest school.

Drone strikes are okay, if they are targeted and precise. But they tend not to be.

My understanding is that they were developed for recon purposes but then the US started strapping a bomb to them to take advantage of opportune moments when they had identified combatants and couldn't feasibly get an aircraft there.

It is widely accepted that there has to be a diplomatic solution in counter insurgency strategy, however, that seems an untenable option with IS in particular. So let's just drop bombs on them.

anyone watched 'Why We Are Afraid, A 1400 Year Secret By Dr Bill Warner? its on youtube and he has some interesting so called facts that people did not know about the battles islam thought many years ago and how it kind of ties in with today. its not anti islam proponganda, its an interesting watch.

Drones are a wonderful politician's weapon.

It looks like you're doing something.

You're not losing a face with a family if it's shot down.

It's slightly more discriminating and a better camera platform than a Tomahawk.

It doesn't need to militarily effective, it's a propaganda tool. Though it's more about looking good at home than demoralising the enemy.

In other news.

Medecins Sans Frontieres are pursuing war crimes charges against the Yanks for bombing their hospital.

Clicky

Edited by Xann

Obama will be able to dance around it and nothing will happen. At best, a mid level commander will fall on his sword, but they will get away with the crime, just like they always do.

The thing with drones for me is that you shouldn't really be bombing anyone in a place where you're not involved in a war.

Drone bombings and the whole idea of targeted assassination are oddly divorced from normal rules, laws and moralities by the looks of things though - or maybe that's just the people that are using them?

Drones are a wonderful politician's weapon.

It looks like you're doing something.

You're not losing a face with a family if it's shot down.

It's slightly more discriminating and a better camera platform than a Tomahawk.

It doesn't need to militarily effective, it's a propaganda tool. Though it's more about looking good at home than demoralising the enemy.

In other news.

Medecins Sans Frontieres are pursuing war crimes charges against the Yanks for bombing their hospital.

Clicky

Unfortunatley nothing will come of it, Bush Blair and Nuttyenyoo should of been tried for war crimes also.

Â