Nathan Baker

AVFC-Prideofbrum

Hopefully he can use this season to think about his positioning and decision making and come back with a refreshed attitude.

Last season was brutal and there were rarely times in matches where he didn't need to cover for mistakes the team made or he himself made, I believe a lot of that was down to the team balance and as has been shown this season (not enough games to really judge) when things are tighter everywhere else (defence and attack) you allow players more time to make the right decisions and naturally be in the right places.

Last season many decisions were rash or rushed, this season, so far, things have been calmer and with full backs that defend our central defenders are able to stay in the middle or cover wide occasionally (not all the time like last year), we appear to be a solid line of players and that gives confidence. It seems to have helped the midfield for sure.

Baker did have some shocking moments last year but he also had some great ones, I really believe that with the pressure off and learning time increased Baker still has something to offer...Clark...well that's a different story....though he's still only 24.

He needs to get out on loan somewhere and find some form so we can sell him. I don't hate him but I really don't want to see him or Clark ever wear a 1st shirt again.

I really don't know with Baker. Defence is an odd one, they are a unit and need over from midfield too. We've had a problem left back which would cause a centre back to anticipate he will need to run out towards the left side when a left back is beaten hence he stands a yard further left. This creates a bigger gap between the center backs and defensive errors.

Next is possession stats, we were shockingly low on that stat last season, which means more time for defenders concentrating, running and as a result getting tired which leads to mistakes. I bet if you threw in Cahill into Villas team last season in place of Vlaar he wouldn't look like anything near as good a player as he is in Chelsea team.

All this is hardly a good atmosphere for a young defender to learn, get confidence etc.. So I imagine he should go out on loan for a season to the Championship and ply his trade, learn and get confidence. We can judge him then. 

All you need to think is Senderos, how in the right combination of defence he is a much different player than he looked in a shambolic Fulham defence. 

• Like 1

He could play in a back 3 imo but his lack of pace and his reliance on last ditch tackles are a major worry. He's a lot better than Clark who's days are numbered at this level I reckon as he has had plenty of chances and has basically got worse as a player.

Has a wealth of premier league experience now and can be used as a rotation player how many other teams has someone of 23 on the bench with 101 appearances and can be used as a rotation player

• Like 2

Has a wealth of premier league experience now and can be used as a rotation player how many other teams has someone of 23 on the bench with 101 appearances and can be used as a rotation player

I'd rotate him between cutting up oranges and putting the divorts back in the pitch at half time. :)

I've seen nothing from him to suggest he is good enough now or that he will learn sufficiently in order to improve to be so, he much like Clark repeats his mistakes.

• 2 weeks later...
Â