Jean II Makoun

dudevillaisnice

Fair enough.

But still him and Petrov as sitting midfielders allowing Ireland a true free role over time could've worked.

As much as I respect Stan, I just think we should be aiming to replace him.

I would have liked to see a tall, strong CDM aside Makoun who can drop back to sit in front of the defence, have Makoun in the middle of the pitch and then have Ireland slightly up higher in a slightly more attacking role and have the three cover for each other if they're ever out of position.

Yeah I thought this would be the season Stan would be phased out but we need him more than ever in there which says it all about the sorry state of the central midfield which has been the case ever since Milner left.

I'd look at bringing in someone like Mo Diame from Wigan who's on a free this summer.

I reckon we should make sure he's back playing for us next season. I bet him, Ireland and N'zogbia all in form and under a better manager would be brilliant together.

Maybe there's more to Makoun being loaned out that meets the eye.

Ability wise, there wasn't a lot wrong with him as far as I could see.

He was particularly impressive v Man U away and Fulham at home. His form tampered off after that, so maybe he was playing on adrenaline originally. He did miss a big chunk of the season for Lyon prior to signing for us.

But even during his 'iffy' phase, he was still capable of playing that defence splitting eye of the needle pass. As witnessed v Wolves at home when he put Ash through and Newcastle at home when Bent was marginally given offside.

I had certainly seen enough to think that with a decent pre season he could be a big player for us. But if he was unsettled (and GH's departure wouldn't have helped in that regard) it's not just about ability.

That said, it would be nice to see what a more progressive manager might be able to do with a midfield containing any 4/5 from Petrov, Makoun, Ireland, N'Zog, Albrighton, Bannan, Gardner, Clark and Delph. It's not a bottom 5 midfield by any means, even if it does require a bit of tinkering. I would think most mangers outside of the usual suspects and maybe Newcastle would be quite happy to trade their midfield options for ours.

I'd take most of Fulham's midfield over ours if I'm honest, Everton's too. I even think Sunderland have a decent midfield.

Bloody hell I think that the Boggies and the dingles have a better\more balanced midfield than we do!!

What we have missed all season is a proper DM someone like Tiote or Mulumbu or Henry(Karl) or Cattermole or Felani or whoever and one things for sure Makoun is not the man for the job!

For example at the weekend when a piss poor player like David **** Dunn can come on second half and make such a big difference to the game just about sums us up!

Maybe there's more to Makoun being loaned out that meets the eye.

Ability wise, there wasn't a lot wrong with him as far as I could see.

He was particularly impressive v Man U away and Fulham at home. His form tampered off after that, so maybe he was playing on adrenaline originally. He did miss a big chunk of the season for Lyon prior to signing for us.

But even during his 'iffy' phase, he was still capable of playing that defence splitting eye of the needle pass. As witnessed v Wolves at home when he put Ash through and Newcastle at home when Bent was marginally given offside.

I had certainly seen enough to think that with a decent pre season he could be a big player for us. But if he was unsettled (and GH's departure wouldn't have helped in that regard) it's not just about ability.

That said, it would be nice to see what a more progressive manager might be able to do with a midfield containing any 4/5 from Petrov, Makoun, Ireland, N'Zog, Albrighton, Bannan, Gardner, Clark and Delph. It's not a bottom 5 midfield by any means, even if it does require a bit of tinkering. I would think most mangers outside of the usual suspects and maybe Newcastle would be quite happy to trade their midfield options for ours.

That's my take on him aswell. He showed glimpses of quality in those games without question and I believe with a full pre season he would've been good this season.

That's what I don't understand, he actually was a regular in pre season and apparently was playing well and yet at Fulham McLeish benched him in favour of Delph.

Maybe a part of him wanted to get away as he didn't fancy working under McLeish. Certainly after seeing a french speaking manager leave replaced by a defensive british coach, it wouldn't surprise me if Makoun was looking for a way out.

I think he might have been told by the board - he needs to reduce wages and get the squad numbers down and look to the youth as the future. Hence why he chose Delph as RL did fork out 8 million for. Plus I am not sure IF Makoun settled and blended in to the squad well. He was a GH signing.

From what I've seen, he's simply not PL quality

Thank the lord GED didn't replicate signings like this

Thankfully he wasn't given chance to. I'm still not sure where this myth that Houllier was about to scout a load of cheap but excellent players for us came from.

Look at his record in the short time with us:

Pires - woeful

Bent - good player, but hardly a little known European gem

Bradley - shite

Makoun - average at best

Walker - another obvious choice from the Premier League.

Yet because he's gone, he was suddenly going to become Wenger mark 2? Nah.

Huh? thats nonsense,Pires was the worst example of s signing you could have possibly used, those were all short term emergency signings with his hands tied behind his back (As well as was Bent). Are you trying to say if he had a summer these are the types of signings he would have been making? come off it mate. Makoun was decent and wasnt really given a fair crack here, and some players need time to settle, and also need players on the same wavelength as them around them. Houllier and Gmac would undoubtedly have been bringing in young talent and a different philosophy of play had they gotten the summer and all that.

Houllier mostly bought a load of shite at Liverpool, and he didn't unearth any gems at Villa. He was a disaster, and the fact that McLeish is a disaster as well doesn't make me pine for the hopeless Frenchman.

Â