Jean II Makoun

dudevillaisnice

As I remember it.

He got a 1 match ban and came back into the side after serving it. However Makoun was increasingly turning into a passenger and I'm afraid to say a liability. Houllier refused to drop his signing, despite lacklustre displays. Thankfully GMac had no problem bringing NRC in and our form improved thanks to some much more solid CM performances.

Nah, he got a straight red and a 3 game ban from the Blackpool away sending off

Towards the end of the season he was out for a few weeks with a dead leg, and missed the final game against Liverpool due to being given compassionate leave as some of his family were in a car crash back in Cameroon

Well, dropped or injured, either way his removal coincided with improved performances. We looked more solid in midfield.

http://astonvillacentral.com/2011/02/jean-makoun-completes-85-passes-against-manchester-utd/

You may or may not have noticed that I haven’t been following Premier League games up with Statshacks for a little while. There are numerous reasons for that which I won’t bore you with, but I have still been glancing at the numbers and I have to bring Jean Makoun’s passing statistics from Old Trafford last night to your attention.

I don’t always single individual players out and I don’t keep records, but I do look them over and it’s rare to see any one Aston Villa player connect more than 50 passes in a game. Some players will achieve high 40′s here and there, occasionally mid-50′s, I think James Milner was the highest I ever saw with a game in the low 60′s one time.

Have a look at Jean Makoun’s passing map on the right. That’s 85 complete passes out of 94 attempted, a 90% completion rate. During the 75 minutes Stiliyan Petrov was on the pitch, Makoun completed 73 passes to Stan’s 42.

I should give Petrov some credit, he still managed to complete the same number of passes as Utd’s player with the highest number; Nani also completed 42 passes during the game, although his passes, one in particular, were a lot more significant in Utd’s game.

Makoun achieved these numbers mostly through his speed of passing, frequently moving the ball on with his first touch, but rarely holding the ball for more than a second or two before passing it on to a team mate. But almost always a useful pass and often a clever pass to someone in space.

His movement off the ball allowed him to receive the ball in space, his awareness of what’s going on around him and general reading of the game facilitated the quick one and two touch game. When the players around him are closer to his wavelength, special things are going to happen.

On this occasion, arguably because Wayne Rooney finally found his shooting boots, we didn’t come away from Old Trafford with anything, but it’s not insignificant that Villa held 56% of the possession and a 57% share of the completed passes (CPS%) in the game.

As we always remind ourselves here at AVC, there is only one statistic that truly matters, but to go to Old Trafford and hold the majority share of a couple key metrics has to be encouraging, whatever the result. With a little more composure and potency in the final third of the pitch, this side will be deadly.

makoun_passing_map_vs_manutd.jpg

interesting article omar, one that really sums up Makoun's game. some may brush his passing game off as 'useless two yard sideways passes' but that doesn't do him justice. look at Leon Britton at Swansea for example, you need those kinds of players at the heart of your midfield who play the simple, effective balls to keep the game ticking.

Funny how absence messes with the brain.

Yes Makoun could pass 3 yards to feet sideways, but other than that garbage

Lightweight, always looked like conceding fouls in danger zone or pens. A booking was always only minutes away

He now can't even cut it in Greece

Shocking signing

Makoun for me is like too many of our players in that he would just be another average player holding us back.

If he was performing really well in Greece I could understand the demand to bring him back but from what little I know about Greek football it seems he's really not doing much.

Whilst there is always a danger of inflating the ability of those not in the team, I really don't think that is the case with Makoun. I'd love to have seen Makoun and Ireland in a midfield together, two players who can pass and move into space to recieve.

We have too many players who are scared to have the ball and not taking the responsibility to put themselves in space so they can recieve the ball.

Makoun did play well against Man Utd I watched it and he was a revelation, sadly that was when Houlliers style was just coming through. I honestly think if Ged had a decent back 4 and a proper defensive midfielder that team could have flourished.

However the problem is our defence! They are so shit on the ball that they mostly bypass the midfield and negate any passing anyway.

Trouble is AML is not the kind of manager that appreciates a player like Makoun, he'd be exactly like Hleb at the Sty.

Whichever way you look at it, loaning out Makoun whilst loaning in Jenas was a bad move, Jenas injury record is only beaten by Kieron Dyer and Kirkland.

I hope he gets fit soon and AML has an epiphany of actually wanting to play football.

Man United sat off us at Old Trafford giving Makoun the time and space he needs on the ball. When they got it they broke at pace and our midfield/defence could not deal with it. I'd refer to the Newcastle game where they put Makoun under real pressure and he didn't like it at all, making errors. Same seems to be with Delph at the moment as well.

I doubt we will keep him when he comes back. I would like to see a three of Makoun - Petrov - Ireland. Think Makoung and Gardner could've been a good pairing. I am not saying he is the best thing since Xavi but he was a good player who could play possession football. He was better than what we had and he is better than what we have got. On his reported wages, we were silly not to keep him.

Man United sat off us at Old Trafford giving Makoun the time and space he needs on the ball

Eh? Most of his passes that night were first time passes. If you have time on the ball you tend to take more touches. Aint rocket science.

So stop making shit up.

Man United sat off us at Old Trafford giving Makoun the time and space he needs on the ball

Eh? Most of his passes that night were first time passes. If you have time on the ball you tend to take more touches. Aint rocket science.

So stop making shit up.

One thing that rarely seems to get mentioned in relation to this Man U match is that we lost 1-3.

So, whatever Makoun did or didn't do in the match, it was an utter failure in terms of the objective of winning it.

The context should be surely what those passes achieved? Its quality not quantity.

I take it you didnt see the Man U game then?

What I am suggesting is that Milner’s passes achieved alot more in his three seasons at Villa, then Makoun’s contributions in that game and all of the others.

Makoun is becoming a player who is better than the reality of what he was. Its called absence makes the heart grow fonder. I am sure we will have a few people who will say “If Djemba Djemba had a run of games.” “If Berson had a run of games” “If Standing had a run of games” “If Boulding had a run of games”....

Lets get one thing clear, the ability to pass a ball 3 yards sideways to feet is not difficult

I cannot remember Makoun threading too many through balls to the strikers or suddenly switching the play (as Stan can)

Â