Who is better?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Who is better?

• Ronaldo
    • Messi

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

I dont get it. How did Messi win the ballon d'or? The award is bs

61 goals and assists last season and won the copa america.

Lewandowski is very unlucky but like I said before, the Ballon D'Or has always put too much emphasis on team honours, especially international. It's the only reason Jorginho is third.

Lewandowski unlucky like I said, but I don't think it's such a travesty that Messi won it

37 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Lewandowski is very unlucky but like I said before, the Ballon D'Or has always put too much emphasis on team honours, especially international. It's the only reason Jorginho is third.

Lewandowski unlucky like I said, but I don't think it's such a travesty that Messi won it

This is my problem with it. He's not been near this since the start of this season. If it's a yearly award given out in December, it should be given to the best in that calender year. If it's for the best in a season then give it out at the end of the season.

1 hour ago, sparrow1988 said:

This is my problem with it. He's not been near this since the start of this season. If it's a yearly award given out in December, it should be given to the best in that calender year. If it's for the best in a season then give it out at the end of the season.

Yeah I don't know why they do it calendar year. They should do it based on 2020/21 really (which Messi should win anyway). 

saw a stat thing yesterday on facebook (so must be true...) and they split out messi and lewandowski for goals which lewandowski obviously beat him but then they did assists, passing, dribbles, i think even shooting percentage stats and messi blew him out the water, not even close

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

saw a stat thing yesterday on facebook (so must be true...) and they split out messi and lewandowski for goals which lewandowski obviously beat him but then they did assists, passing, dribbles, i think even shooting percentage stats and messi blew him out the water, not even close

I saw a stat where it shows how Donnaruma made more catches and shot saves then Messi did.

It's all bullshit. Lewandowski was the better player last season, and the season before. I think it's just about time to say the whole ballon d'Or thing is bollocks, and start paying less attention to it. 

I can't wait for Bayern - PSG CL game, I think everyone will be able to see who the better player this season is. 

• Like 1

Just now, Mic09 said:

I saw a stat where it shows how Donnaruma made more catches and shot saves then Messi did.

It's all bullshit. Lewandowski was the better player last season, and the season before. I think it's just about time to say the whole ballon d'Or thing is bollocks, and start paying less attention to it. 

I can't wait for Bayern - PSG CL game, I think everyone will be able to see who the better player this season is. 

thats part of the problem and why its bullshit though, when did the voting start?

its not his PSG form thats taken in to consideration, this whole process starts some time in September i think, the decision on the winner are in voters head by the end of the summer

they need to move it to the summer and make it season by season but then its a global thing and they wont use european seasons as the date

35 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I don’t think it’s bullshit really. Lewandowski is a goal machine and doesn’t necessarily get the credit he deserves, but Messi was still phenomenal for most of 2021 and - as @villa4europe points out - did a lot more than score a lot of goals.

When you’re talking about the best player of the year, I think it’s right that a holistic view is taken.

I will also clarify that I watched quite a lot of Barca/Messi and not much Bayern/Lewandowski so very much aware that I’m based Lewandowski on his goal tally - he may have been doing a lot more than that. 

41 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

thats part of the problem and why its bullshit though, when did the voting start?

its not his PSG form thats taken in to consideration, this whole process starts some time in September i think, the decision on the winner are in voters head by the end of the summer

they need to move it to the summer and make it season by season but then its a global thing and they wont use european seasons as the date

Or, do in-house voting on the day in a January ceremony to go over last year highlights.  

Edited by Mic09

45 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I don’t think it’s bullshit really. Lewandowski is a goal machine and doesn’t necessarily get the credit he deserves, but Messi was still phenomenal for most of 2021 and - as @villa4europe points out - did a lot more than score a lot of goals.

When you’re talking about the best player of the year, I think it’s right that a holistic view is taken.

I will also clarify that I watched quite a lot of Barca/Messi and not much Bayern/Lewandowski so very much aware that I’m based Lewandowski on his goal tally - he may have been doing a lot more than that. 

Lewandowski has been quality 

I love messi but I had to read up on why he should win as from what I'd seen I didn't believe it, Lewandowski as a simple eye test I would have had no complaints with

There's an element of messi doing messi things and not being noticed 

Reading stats from the day of voting, Messi had 56 goals and assists in 49 games while Lewamdowski had 64 in 40 games 

I just feel that recent rumour that Messi or Ronaldo wont turn up unless they win might be true 

The Ballon D'or isn't the golden boot.

You don't win on goals alone.

Also Messi won Copa America which probably edged it in his favor.

And for the people who are only judging Messi on goals I feel like you are not understanding the player at all. He had 30 goals and 11 assist for a struggling Barcelona last season. He is probably the greatest creative player of all time. He is so much more than just goals.

Completely fine with him winning it. Lewa is largely just a box striker.

I truly respect poachers but imo they shouldn't be winning Ballon D'ors.

Edited by villalad21

8 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Yeah I don't know why they do it calendar year. They should do it based on 2020/21 really (which Messi should win anyway). 

It's always always always been a calendar year.   The reason is because the award is originally from France Football magazine and they wanted to have a big feature in the Christmas Issue that they could write in November meaning they get a bit of time off over Xmas and still have a magazine that sold well.  You'll see best album/movie/videogame of the year lists in magazines and on websites every Christmas for the same reason.    

Since the mid 90s the award has taken on a bit of a life of it's own, it's now an excuse to have a big party in Paris at the end of the year which gets a ton of A list guests.  The award is important but it's always been secondary to the reason for having the award.  You have to take the winner with a pinch of salt too, it's a subjective list which people can (and definitely do) lobby for.  The reason why Barcelona and Real Madrid players win so much is because their clubs make moves behind the scenes to win it. Jorginho isn't the third best player in the world, he's not even the third best player in the Premier League but he came third this season because he had a lot of people backing him.   It's a silly award that should be seen for what it is, a bit of fun at the end of the year.  The fact that so much money is tied to the award these days through sponsorships should be neither here nor there for the average football fan. 

16 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

41 goals in 29 league games was special though, he is absolute top quality 

If he'd have won it nothing would be said in protest 

Lewa is a better goalscorer but Messi is a better footballer. Messi can do things with the ball Lewa can only dream of.

Not sure how anyone can argue that.

This isn't the golden boot price. It's the best footballer award.

Lewa's numbers are impressive but I don't think Messi winning it by any means is unjust.

Edited by villalad21

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Its an absolute travesty that Lewandowski didnt win it.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

When was the last time a player not based in Europe won it?

Just now, VillaJ100 said:

When was the last time a player not based in Europe won it?

Never 

The rev is right though with why it is annual rather than season to season, it also originated as best player in europe until fifa took it over and made it best player in the world by which time everyone was in europe, they've split again now but France football has kept it best player in thr world I think 

Â