wiggyrichard

Who is better?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Who is better?

• Ronaldo
    • Messi

This poll is closed to new votes

2 hours ago, Genie said:

I’d be interested in peoples definition of loyalty then as I think it differs to mine.

Staying in 1 place for a long time because they pay you more than anyone else would isn’t loyalty for me. It’s business. 

Any elite club in the world would have paid him that much. If not more. He’s the greatest player of all time. That’s why he’s paid a lot. 

He could have gone to any club he wanted at any point in his career. They’d have matched his wages and more 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Any elite club in the world would have paid him that much. If not more. He’s the greatest player of all time. That’s why he’s paid a lot

Depending on source he was on somewhere between £1.1m and £1.7m a week. That’s about double the next best paid player in the world.

I was always team Messi in the debate about Messi v Ronaldo. Their goal scoring records were amazingly similar but Messi always had that dash of wow in his game too which separated them in my mind.

The last year or 2 though Messi has looked a bit lost and sad. Maybe it’s the way Barcelona has been run into financial disaster. But he just looks to be going through the motions now.

Seeing Ronaldo’s desire actually go up has earned my respect. He has nothing to prove to anyone, and is insanely rich but puts in an unreal amount of effort and dedication.

that was predicatble 10 years ago, i think messi will retire before ronaldo

hard to say that he doesnt want to be at PSG but maybe he doesnt, i think he wanted to stay at barca his whole career but they've **** it all up

rio ferdinand of all people is right about the 2, messi is an artist but ronaldo is a machine, i dont disagree with that but i've never found any joy in watching Ronaldo play which is the complete opposite of messi

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

rio ferdinand of all people is right about the 2, messi is an artist but ronaldo is a machine, i dont disagree with that but i've never found any joy in watching Ronaldo play which is the complete opposite of messi

I largely agree.

Ronaldo's dedication to keeping himself incredible shape and at the top of the game is very impressive.  I doubt there are many players that work as hard as he does, and he's, what, 36 pushing 37 years old?  But so much of his game over the last 3 or 4 years has been more about explosive play.  Those leaps for headers etc.

IMO, Messi won't have the same longevity because the aspects of his game that make him so great require much more constant energy.  His dribbling and ability to shift the ball quickly are really what makes him stand out in moments - but that is absolutely fading on his part and I can't see him having the same transformative nature that Ronaldo does, despite having 2 years on him.

Messi would be solely on the copa America, in which yo be fair he was incredible, but best player this year based on his performance over 6 games? That not how it should work

Lewandowski has been brilliant consistently for the whole year (actually 2 years straight) 

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Messi would be solely on the copa America, in which yo be fair he was incredible, but best player this year based on his performance over 6 games? That not how it should work

Lewandowski has been brilliant consistently for the whole year (actually 2 years straight) 

Bit of a disservice on Messi tbh - he was in pretty sensational form for Barca and almost single-handedly dragged them into the 2020/21 title race (I think they were something stupid like 15 points behind Real at one stage).  They messed up the end of the season though :D.  Obviously also then won player of the tournament at the Copa America.  Maybe it's not a phenomenal year by Messi standards, but still over 40 goals, double figure assists.

FWIW, I'd have thought Jorginho would have been worth a shout at winning Ballon D'Or.  Very good performances for both Chelsea (Champions League) and Italy (Euro 2020) but I guess he doesn't score goals and scoring goals (+ winning things) tends to lead to players winning awards.

• Like 1

I agree it should be Lewandowski. Or even Salah. 

But we’ve seen before that they value team honours, especially international honours, massively in these votes so I’m not really surprised. Messi dragging Argentina to the Copa America is what will have won it for him. 

Same reason Jorginho was in the conversation. You can’t realistically say he’s been the best player in the world, but a champions league and a Euros gets you way up the list. 

Messi got 61 goals and assists last season plus won the Copa America, largely due to him and Emi.  I'd say Lewandowski was more unlucky in 2020 but I don't really know why he would edge Messi this time.  Salah has been the best player in the world this season but I don't think there has been enough football to take into the equation that much.  International tournaments always have a large say in these things.

• Like 2

OT - part of the interest for all or nothing NFL was that it was random teams, you got to see a world that you don't know, most of the time genuinely not knowing at the start of the season is successful or not despite it having happened 

The football one seems to miss the point, this year they've done juve and bayern 

If they did an all or nothing sampdoria I'd have more interest than a juve one 

I don't even watch ice hockey and the maple leafs show is more interesting to me 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

Â