wiggyrichard

Who is better?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Who is better?

• Ronaldo
    • Messi

This poll is closed to new votes

28 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Some of the stats are designed to make it look like an obvious choice though, shots on target? That means his conversion rate is lower. Accurate passes? How do Barcelona play vs Bayern? What position are they playing in? MOTM? Yeah because Barca are shite. Dribbles completed? That’s what Messi does. Is there an aerial duals stat we can see for example? 

Not saying one way or the other, but it’s pretty misleading.

Lewandowski seems to have missed 3 times as many 'big chances' so I wouldn't be surprised if he had more shots off target and his conversion rate would be lower.  Anyway it's all subjective, Lewandowski would have been a very worthy winner, it's just there seemed a lot of incredulity that Messi won when really if any attacking midfielder had those stats and scored 20 goals they would have been phenomenal and run Lewandowski close, let alone 40.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

Lewandowski seems to have missed 3 times as many 'big chances' so I wouldn't be surprised if he had more shots off target and his conversion rate would be lower.  Anyway it's all subjective, Lewandowski would have been a very worthy winner, it's just there seemed a lot of incredulity that Messi won when really if any attacking midfielder had those stats and scored 20 goals they would have been phenomenal and run Lewandowski close, let alone 40.

Exactly. 

Messi seem to be measured on himself in his prime. 

If any other midfielder or winger had his stats from last season no one would complained about them winning it. 

People are tired of Messi winning it every time. I get it. But he still is so damn good, there is no getting away from it. 

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Exactly. 

Messi seem to be measured on himself in his prime. 

If any other midfielder or winger had his stats from last season no one would complained about them winning it. 

People are tired of Messi winning it every time. I get it. But he still is so damn good, there is no getting away from it. 

Messi is not a midfielder or a winger 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Alright. 

Forward then to use modern terms. 

Certainly isn't a striker. 

Effectively he is though because he makes no contribution when you don't have the ball. It doesn't really matter if he drops deep or plays number 10 he has to be judged mainly on goals/assists because without the ball he's a passenger.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Effectively he is though because he makes no contribution when you don't have the ball. It doesn't really matter if he drops deep or plays number 10 he has to be judged mainly on goals/assists because without the ball he's a passenger.  

He hasn't pressed in about 8 years

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

And yet there he is with almost treble the number of tackles of Lewandowski and more ball recoveries.

Maybe the Pole is Ronaldo-lite.

Munich’s Bundesliga opponents never have the ball. Lewandowski probably hardly gets an opportunity to tackle anyone 😁

3 hours ago, villa89 said:

Is messi the first footballer who can't run to win the ballon d'or? Its laughable. To be expected when you consider how the voting works.

He makes 4.5 successful dribbles per game by walking.

Anyway it's the last one he will win so putting him 2 ahead of Ronaldo seems about right in the greater scheme of things.

I wonder does it damage the brand if no marketable name wins the award. They are/were great players but was some seasons they gave it to them when others did better. Wesley Sneijder in 2010 being the big one. Xavi, Iniesta could have easily won it plus Robben had couple incredible years 

46 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

I've always thought Messi was the better creator and attacker but Ronaldo was a better all round footballer and offered a team more. 

How are you defining better all round footballer? 

Because for me messis passing range blows Ronaldos out of the water

If barca had put him CM instead of xavi or iniesta he could do what they could do 

I think Ronaldo is more athletic, that's about it 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

How are you defining better all round footballer? 

Because for me messis passing range blows Ronaldos out of the water

If barca had put him CM instead of xavi or iniesta he could do what they could do 

I think Ronaldo is more athletic, that's about it 

Yeah I said Messi is more creative, his passing and vision is better but overall it's just his creative/attacking game that are ahead of Ronaldo.

I think if you took a shit team that doesn't have the ball much, Ronaldo can still have a huge contribution to the team and game by offering a threat from long balls, crosses, set plays and is more of an out ball. He can defend corners too, Messi when your team doesn't have the ball is pretty much out the game.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I wonder does it damage the brand if no marketable name wins the award. They are/were great players but was some seasons they gave it to them when others did better. Wesley Sneijder in 2010 being the big one. Xavi, Iniesta could have easily won it plus Robben had couple incredible years 

Messi and Ronaldo are marketable names because theyve been by far the best players for well over a decade now and hence won it almost every year.  I genuinely think they do a vote and someone wins, it's as simple as that.  Of course there has to be another motive behind it because this is the internet.

Â