wiggyrichard

Who is better?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Who is better?

• Ronaldo
    • Messi

This poll is closed to new votes

48 minutes ago, sidcow said:

He's going to be one hell of an expensive mascot isn't he. 

Still, as long as they sell the shirts.

Not sure about mascot. He'll still be their best player when he's 39 and standing still until the ball is passed to him

• Like 1

Just now, Genie said:

Probably have to sell one of the yachts 

Poor mite.

If I read things correctly, he earns over $100m a year from endorsements (Pepsi, whatever sportswear company he uses, etc), so if he really loved Barcelona he could have signed for a nominal figure per week. That would have really got them out of the shit and it wouldn't have had any impact whatsoever on his wealth. It just seems pure greed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Poor mite.

If I read things correctly, he earns over $100m a year from endorsements (Pepsi, whatever sportswear company he uses, etc), so if he really loved Barcelona he could have signed for a nominal figure per week. That would have really got them out of the shit and it wouldn't have had any impact whatsoever on his wealth. It just seems pure greed.

100%.
Theres no way they would have wanted to give him a 5 year deal at 34, but he and his agent have held them to ransom. 

35 minutes ago, Xela said:

He must really love the club to accept such a big cut. He'll need to cut back on his faberge eggs. 

No one else would give him anything like that over 5 years.  Not even close.  It's a mental deal, Barca are mad to offer it and he would be mad not to take it. 

48 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

Not sure about mascot. He'll still be their best player when he's 39 and standing still until the ball is passed to him

Isnt that Barcelona issue though, Messi was a great but relying on him at 39 is terrible business 

Be interesting to know how this is structured. I doubt Messi will be playing in 5 years time but he might of course.

I'd like to know if he'll still get payed for the remaining years if he decides to retire before the contract ends (if he doesn't sign for a new club). 

Overly long contracts like this is given in the NHL to old star players to get around the salary cap and I wonder if Barca are doing the same to get around the La Liga salary limits they are currently struggling with.

Will Messi be guarantied the money even should he retire?

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

No one else would give him anything like that over 5 years.  Not even close.  It's a mental deal, Barca are mad to offer it and he would be mad not to take it. 

Luckily Barca are in a great financial situation that they will be fine 😂

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Xela said:

Poor mite.

I also wonder how many of the players they've signed recently on big contracts for silly amounts (Griezman /Dembele / Coutinho) have been signed to try and keep Messi happy? 

Real selling Ronaldo to Juve for £90m or whatever it was looks a better deal with each passing season. 

8 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Real selling Ronaldo to Juve for £90m or whatever it was looks a better deal with each passing season. 

for who?

neither real madrid or juve have a pot to piss in, they're both in the same mess as barca

26 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I think if Real had the time again they’d keep Ronaldo. They have struggled to replace him since he left, and he hasn’t really declined (which I assume is what they thought was about to happen).

55 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

for who?

neither real madrid or juve have a pot to piss in, they're both in the same mess as barca

Real would be in even more financial trouble if they kept him and would be in a similar level to Barca I feel.

They skint but it's not a fire sale of their young talent and they can actually register the players they sign on a free. 

By selling him they're probably £200m better off financially let alone having a player in their mid/late 30s having a very large say in the club. 

Edited by Rds1983

46 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

It’s lovely to read about these super league suckers’ financial struggles. They deserve everything that’s coming to them. 

it shows you what the league was all about, they have no money because of years of mismanagement and misspending and want the answer to be give them more money so that they can carry on as usual

would be brilliant if the biggest culprits from it went in to free fall

• Like 1

Safe to say CR7 won't be going back to Real this summer

Real Madrid President Criticizes Ronaldo, Mourinho in New Set of Leaked Recordings

A new round of leaked audio recordings published by Spanish media on Wednesday revealed Real Madrid’s president privately criticizing Cristiano Ronaldo and José Mourinho.

The newspaper El Confidencial released audios in which Florentino Pérez reportedly called former player Ronaldo an “imbecile” and “sick.” He reportedly said Ronaldo and former coach Mourinho “were not normal.” He also called Mourinho an “imbecile.”

El Confidencial said the comments about Ronaldo and Mourinho were made in 2012, during Pérez’s second stint in charge of the club. The comments on Casillas and González were reportedly made in 2006.

Pérez released a statement on Tuesday saying the comments were “isolated quotes that were part of conversations and have been taken out of the wider context in which they were made.”

He said they were likely being published now because of his “involvement as one of the driving forces behind the Super League,” which folded days after being launched following widespread criticism against the competition.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2021/07/14/florentino-perez-real-madrid-cristiano-ronaldo-jose-mourinho-leaked-audio

15 hours ago, Xela said:

He must really love the club to accept such a big cut. He'll need to cut back on his faberge eggs. 

I had one of them once. I don't see the big deal at all. Taste awful and ruin your teeth.

Give me a cream egg any day of the week.

• Like 1

Â