wiggyrichard

Who is better?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Who is better?

• Ronaldo
    • Messi

This poll is closed to new votes

2 hours ago, Troglodyte said:

The arguments around Maradona winning the World Cup and Messi not are probably even more tiresome than the comparisons to Ronaldo.

Completely ignores the other areas where Messi has a better record than Maradona too.  Weird how the World Cup is the be all and end all in the argument.  Just enjoy Messi and Ronaldo for however long they have left in their careers I say.

• Like 3

I think if he wants it ronaldo could have another 10 years in him, 5/6 years in europe followed by a stint in the states 

The man is a specimen, i think he redefines footballers as athletes 

Edited by villa4europe

I am a massive Maradona fan he did the stuff of dreams at Napoli and Argentina between 1984 and 1990.  It's also worth remembering he got kicked to **** in that period and also big time at Barca before that.

Messi has been in a better team and has been at the top of his game for 10 years plus. The same as Ronaldo and to do it season after season is phenomenal.  You just have to say we are lucky that these 2 have spurred each other on over the years.

If Maradona had the same playing field I think he would have been even better. Nutrition, Fitness, Ref protection and so on.

As it is and it's only my opinion he is 3rd behind the above 2 and I have Messi at no1 because I think he is more of a team player than Ronaldo.  

Long may they continue.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, S-Platt said:

I am a massive Maradona fan he did the stuff of dreams at Napoli and Argentina between 1984 and 1990.  It's also worth remembering he got kicked to **** in that period and also big time at Barca before that.

Messi has been in a better team and has been at the top of his game for 10 years plus. The same as Ronaldo and to do it season after season is phenomenal.  You just have to say we are lucky that these 2 have spurred each other on over the years.

If Maradona had the same playing field I think he would have been even better. Nutrition, Fitness, Ref protection and so on.

As it is and it's only my opinion he is 3rd behind the above 2 and I have Messi at no1 because I think he is more of a team player than Ronaldo.  

Long may they continue.

That's my stance too. Ronaldo is a goal machine, no doubt about that. Messi has a very similar scoring record but he does it with a bit more entertainment value.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, One For The Road said:

I just wish they'd both hurry up and retire so that I don't ever have to hear this bloody question again. Probably the most tiresome thing in football.

Until they become managers :P

• Like 1

They're both incredible but Messi for me is the best. Ronaldo sulks easily and throws temper tantrums when his team mates don't pass, or things don't go his way. Messi is all about the team, but if he thinks he can score or play a killer pass he'll do it. I also think Messi turns up more in the big games. I can only think of last years champions league final where Ronaldo grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck. Other than that I've seen too many Copa Del Rey's or El Clasico's where Ronaldo's disappeared or been a passenger.

Messi for Argentina is a whole other conversation though. 

1 hour ago, MapleVilla said:

I also think Messi turns up more in the big games. I can only think of last years champions league final where Ronaldo grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck. Other than that I've seen too many Copa Del Rey's or El Clasico's where Ronaldo's disappeared or been a passenger.

Its a huge myth. He has scored in 3 Champions League finals, Copa Del Rey winner in extra time, World Club Cup, UEFA Super Cup, FA Cup final, 2 separate Euro semi-finals for Portugal plus a hat-trick that brought them to last World Cup

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I was going to say I really would warm to Ronaldo more if he could just keep his bloody shirt on. But it’s not the shirt thing in itself that bothers me. Aguero’s celebration after all was him taking his top off, but he was running around like a mad man, properly lost in the moment of ecstasy. A moment of pure relief, Tardelli-esque joy.

With Ronaldo, it’s just all so calculated. Scores important penalty (yes, well done), runs off to the nearest camera, shirt off, muscles flexed, poses for the lens, look at me, I did it, all me, best ever etc etc.

It’s a small gripe and not an original one either. But I bet a lot more people would like him more if cut out all that bollocks whenever he scored in these games.

Exactly. It's all about the CR7 brand. Not the club, not the fans, not the joy of scoring the winner etc.

• Like 2

I used to be of the opinion that Ronaldo was better.

That was based on him being more self made and hard working, experiencing different leagues and environments than Messi at the best institute in football, Barcelona.

Now though, I would say Messi. He just has more to his game. Ronaldo might be superior athletically but I think Messi has the edge in tenacity and that bit of magic creativity we call vision. 

Yes Messi has been fortunate enough to spend his life at the greatest academy and during his time arguably the greatest team of all time. But I don't think that is something to discredit him for, it is undoubtedly part of what has made him great but not all.

• 2 months later...
Â