wiggyrichard

Who is better?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Who is better?

• Ronaldo
    • Messi

This poll is closed to new votes

5 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

So a quick look online shows that the highest season goal scorer in seria A is 36... have a feeling ronaldo will smash that to smithereens. Wouldn’t be surprised if he gets 50+ in his first season there 

Perhaps, but Serie A is a lot more composed, tactical and defensively solid than La Liga. For the most part teams doesn't just roll over either when the big boys come visit like they do in Spain.

No doubt he'll bang them in for fun in Italy as well but I think it's easier to score 50 in Spain than in Italy.

Will be fun watching him try tho.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Zatman said:

Ronaldo hits 30 in Serie A hard to say not best player ever. 3 biggest leagues he conquered

Would imagine its end of higuain not dybala

4 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

If he 'does it in Italy' then it certainly boosts his claim. Delivering big in the three top leagues can't be overlooked. 

I don't understand the weird obsession with footballers only being judged "good enough" on what their nation does at an International tournament or whether or not they can score lots in different leagues.

When in exactly the same league, at a time when Real Madrid delivered back-to-back-to-back CL victories, Messi outperformed Ronaldo.  That's statistically, when just being an actually better footballer than him.  He doesn't need to go the Premier League to show he can do it there too.

• Like 2

There is a site called messivsronaldo.net that has the stats from every seasons and combined. Career and since Ronaldo joined Real in 09.

Since Ronaldo joined Real Messi has  472 goals and 172 assists in 476 games in all competitions

Ronaldo has 450 goals and 119 assists in 438  games in all competitions.

La Liga is Messi 329 goals in 309 games vs 311 in 292 games for Ronaldo

CL Messi 83 in 92 vs 105 in 101 for Ronaldo.

And so on

So once again, they are both pretty decent

24 minutes ago, sne said:

There is a site called messivsronaldo.net that has the stats from every seasons and combined. Career and since Ronaldo joined Real in 09.

Since Ronaldo joined Real Messi has  472 goals and 172 assists in 476 games in all competitions

Ronaldo has 450 goals and 119 assists in 438  games in all competitions.

La Liga is Messi 329 goals in 309 games vs 311 in 292 games for Ronaldo

CL Messi 83 in 92 vs 105 in 101 for Ronaldo.

And so on

So once again, they are both pretty decent

Staggering figures for both players. Ronaldo has a very marginally better goals per game ratio but its extremely tight. Breathtaking players. 

I would have thought Messi would be further ahead on the assists though. 

Does this mean Neymar for Madrid now? 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Xela said:

Staggering figures for both players. Ronaldo has a very marginally better goals per game ratio but its extremely tight. Breathtaking players. 

I would have thought Messi would be further ahead on the assists though. 

Does this mean Neymar for Madrid now? 

I suspect so, though I'd much rather sign Mbappe than Neymar.  I doubt Mbappe is a big enough word removed to force a move through a year after signing for PSG whereas Neymar is.  I can't see him being anywhere near enough to bridge the gap between a Ronaldo-less Real and Barca.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I suspect so, though I'd much rather sign Mbappe than Neymar.  I doubt Mbappe is a big enough word removed to force a move through a year after signing for PSG whereas Neymar is.  I can't see him being anywhere near enough to bridge the gap between a Ronaldo-less Real and Barca.

Mbappe has only just signed for PSG hasn't he? He was on loan last year

Neymar - I can't stand him. If only he was as good as he thinks he is. Apparently he is poison at PSG having fallen out with both Cavani and Mbappe

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Mbappe has only just signed for PSG hasn't he? He was on loan last year

Neymar - I can't stand him. If only he was as good as he thinks he is. Apparently he is poison at PSG having fallen out with both Cavani and Mbappe

Didn't realise that.  I guess it's one of the ways to get around the FFP, not that it really seems to matter at the top.  If I were Real I wouldn't touch Neymar with someone else's barge pole but I doubt they think like that.

On ‎11‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 07:28, Dr_Pangloss said:

If he 'does it in Italy' then it certainly boosts his claim. Delivering big in the three top leagues can't be overlooked. 

also having the balls to move clubs/countries to do it too. Easy option would be to stay at Madrid.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

also having the balls to move clubs/countries to do it too. Easy option would be to stay at Madrid.

It makes zero difference.  Again, I don't understand the obsession with having to "prove it" in different leagues.

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

that's a shame for you I think.

I wish someone could explain why it makes a difference.

Or maybe the likes of Gerrard, Iniesta, Totti, Lampard, Pele, Maldini and the long list of similarly brilliant players who only managed to "do it" in one of the top European leagues were really just not that good after all?  

Edit: obv Pele not in Europe :D 

Edited by bobzy

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

you could also say he’d become less and less important at madrid and would have less opportunity to score goals, so a move to Italy in an arguably slower league as the number one man is the easier way to score more goals and stay relevant. 

48 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I wish someone could explain why it makes a difference.

Or maybe the likes of Gerrard, Iniesta, Totti, Lampard, Pele, Maldini and the long list of similarly brilliant players who only managed to "do it" in one of the top European leagues were really just not that good after all?  

Edit: obv Pele not in Europe :D 

IMO, if Messi and Ronaldo retired with identical records in every measureable way (goals, assists, titles, awards etc) Ronaldo would be considered the better player who had achieved more by doing it in 3 different top leagues, different sides, different languages, different cultures...

We have seen many players have a lot of success in 1 place then move and it not work out. It takes a brave player to risk the legacy like that.

Its nothing to do with 1 club players not being very good, just that players who move and still perform at the very highest levels are exceptional.

Edited by Genie

59 minutes ago, a m ole said:

you could also say he’d become less and less important at madrid and would have less opportunity to score goals, so a move to Italy in an arguably slower league as the number one man is the easier way to score more goals and stay relevant. 

I think move to Serie A is quite risky though. Space wont be there like in La Liga or Premier League. He will still get about 20 goals for them but probably not the 40 he would get now

Also players moving from Spain to Italy dont usually tend to do well

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Genie said:

IMO, if Messi and Ronaldo retired with identical records in every measureable way (goals, assists, titles, awards etc) Ronaldo would be considered the better player who had achieved more by doing it in 3 different top leagues, different sides, different languages, different cultures...

We have seen many players have a lot of success in 1 place then move and it not work out. It takes a brave player to risk the legacy like that.

Its nothing to do with 1 club players not being very good, just that players who move and still perform at the very highest levels are exceptional.

It's a bit different coming through Barca's system to Sporting's.  One is one of the biggest clubs in the world, the other is known as a stepping stone to bigger things, as to a degree were United.  As Messi was the best player in the world already by the age of 19, no amount of money would have bought him for the next 10-15 years.  There's also the fact that Messi is clearly the better footballer regardless.

Â