SIGNED: Charles N'Zogbia (Wigan)

billy_loes

Don't know if this has been posted yet but, Charles just said this on his twitter.

I'm not on strike !! I'm training normally, u don't have to read what the Newspapers saying... Its not true !!

From the man himself! Not on strike.

...however he is French so he probably will be shortly :P

:lol:

I always disliked his complete and utter deference to anything Man Utd-related. He verbally-rims Fergie and that club whenever he can. Having said all that, I do think we should pay the £10m simply because Zog is worth the money, we need the player and if Jagielka is about to go to Arsenal then Everton will have a few quid to play with and I can hazard a guess who they'll go in for.

Pretty sure they'll need a new CB if Jagielka is off. I do agree with your sentiment though!

The remarks by Whelan are fair enough. N'Zogbia is their player and he has put a price on him which they will accept. We are trying to get him on the cheap while we stood steadfast over the Downing fee.
They're not really fair enough to N'Zogbia though. He was told "we'll sell for £9m". They accepted £9m in January. We bid £9m and they reject it. Not only does this go back on what they told N'Zogbia but it's more money for a player with 6 months less on his contract now than he had in January, even accounting for his performances over the latter half of the season. So while it is Whelan's prerogative to do whatever the hell he likes, it doesn't change that he's being an utter arsehole about it all.

Calling someone an 'utter arsehole' for doing exactly what we did over the sales of Barry and Downing is just being hypocritical in my book.

It would be, but then I'm not. We didn't change the asking price of those players. We set one and stuck to it. Whelan has changed N'Zogbia's from £9m in January including a verbal agreement that he could go for that price to the £10m he wants now. There is a difference and there is no hypocricy. He's entitled to do it, but he's still an arsehole for doing it.

We also did not bleat our business all over the press like Whelan tends to.

Pretty sure they'll need a new CB if Jagielka is off. I do agree with your sentiment though!

At the risk of going momentarily off topic, they still have Distin, Heitinga & (for the moment) Yobo which, if supplemented with youth, is as many as we have. Their need is further forward where they don't have much width since Pieenut left. They've only really got BitOfaLetDownov as a natural winger.

Anyway, yeah, ahem *cough* Zog. Back on topic :)

Just wondering why people keep referring to Whelan as being an 'arsehole?'

Most of his managers always seem to get on with him. He has given a lot of money to Wigan Football Club and he has continually kept them in the Premiership against the odds.

Guess I should clarify 2 things before stating why I think he's an arse. First, I've no problem with him asking whatever he likes for N'Zogbia, it's his job. If he's gone back on his word then thats just another slight on his character but otherwise, no bother. Second, I genuinely don't like many other clubs, players, managers, owners, etc outside of Villa Park, but Wigan and Whelan I have particularly distaste for.

Whelan is an arsehole. As BOF says, he's rather too keen to lick Manchester United's arse and fondle Fergie's balls. But I'd take it further, he's a little too keen to talk to the media at all. Owner's shouldn't be on the telly giving interviews or constantly in the pissing papers. With how often his tongue is up Salford's finest's fundament I surprised he's available so often for comment but he seemingly is.

He's also a man who is a skinflint in the extreme. I remember a newspaper story a few years back that to save cash he was turning off the undersoil heating at Wigan between fixtures, which you don't do because it stops it working so well, which in turn lead to the pitch being even worse than it usually was in winter.

And so on. He's a pointless self celebrating arse whose sole aim is keep a pointless club in the league, which year in year out, he somehow manages, by doing the only thing he knows how, which is flogging players. He may as well open up a business securing the work permits of players from countries you'd struggle to find on a map on flog them as soon as they get off the plane for all the difference it's worth. To really claw at my throat though, it's the apparent fact he views himself as bigger than Wigan. What he does isn't about Wigan, it's about him, or at least thats the impression I get whenever he reels his face from Fergies balls for 5 mins to talk about how great everything he touches is. Including Fergies balls.

So Everton are interested in Zog but cant afford him, but they are about to recieve a large offer for one of their players.... :suspect:

Stop feckin around Villa and get him in before we regret it!

So Everton are interested in Zog, but cant afford him, but are about to recieve a large offer for one of their players....

That's the general jist yeah :)

Everton would surely struggle though losing Jagielka and not replacing him?

I know they apparently want N'Zogbia but you can't just get rid of your best CB and then not replace him. They will only have Yobo, Heitinga & Distin left to play at CB.

However, we just need to get this done now. It's pathetic from all sides.

The remarks by Whelan are fair enough. N'Zogbia is their player and he has put a price on him which they will accept. We are trying to get him on the cheap while we stood steadfast over the Downing fee.
They're not really fair enough to N'Zogbia though. He was told "we'll sell for £9m". They accepted £9m in January. We bid £9m and they reject it. Not only does this go back on what they told N'Zogbia but it's more money for a player with 6 months less on his contract now than he had in January, even accounting for his performances over the latter half of the season. So while it is Whelan's prerogative to do whatever the hell he likes, it doesn't change that he's being an utter arsehole about it all.

Calling someone an 'utter arsehole' for doing exactly what we did over the sales of Barry and Downing is just being hypocritical in my book.

It would be, but then I'm not. We didn't change the asking price of those players. We set one and stuck to it. Whelan has changed N'Zogbia's from £9m in January including a verbal agreement that he could go for that price to the £10m he wants now. There is a difference and there is no hypocricy. He's entitled to do it, but he's still an arsehole for doing it.

So what your basically saying is this. Say we purchase N'Zogbia. We then tell him that if a top four club comes in for him we will sell him at a set price. N'Zogbia not only maintains his Wigan form but actually excells. Several months later Man U come calling and we sell N'Zogbia to them for the previous agreed price? Sorry no BOF. Not in any business that i know would that happen. We'd be looking for more money because the players form has improved. I'm actually surprised that Whelan isn't looking for more.

Whelan is a rentaquote who has his opinion on everything and like sharing it in the papers. The whole Martinez bollocks didn't help either. He knew a week in advance Martinez was staying and decided to play a game at our expense in the media.

In short in the guy is a dick to be honest...but he has the right to ask what he likes for his players.

So what your basically saying is this. Say we purchase N'Zogbia. We then tell him that if a top four club comes in for him we will sell him at a set price. N'Zogbia not only maintains his Wigan form but actually excells. Several months later Man U come calling and we sell N'Zogbia to them for the previous agreed price? Sorry no BOF. Not in any business that i know would that happen. We'd be looking for more money because the players form has improved. I'm actually surprised that Whelan isn't looking for more.

He might well have improved, but his contract is 6 months less. He might get even better in the next 6 months BUT his contract will also be 6 months less also worth less. He might then improve even more in the 6 months after that... but then Wigan will get sweet FA.

Why do people bash Wigan as a club? To me it's painfully arrogant.

I also don't see why people are bashing Whelan. He's done good in his life, made good appointments where Wigan has managed to stay in the Premier League, as well as identified quite a few gems.

He sees our clueless board get 20 million out of Downing and 15 million out of Young, he must think "oh wait a minute. if those guys are going for that much, I see no reason why N'Zogbia can't be worth more seeing as he one of the main reason why he kept us up."

Why do people bash Wigan as a club? To me it's painfully arrogant.

I also don't see why people are bashing Whelan. He's done good in his life, made good appointments where Wigan has managed to stay in the Premier League, as well as identified quite a few gems.

He sees our clueless board get 20 million out of Downing and 15 million out of Young, he must think "oh wait a minute. if those guys are going for that much, I see no reason why N'Zogbia can't be worth more seeing as he one of the main reason why he kept us up."

What do you call people who bash their own club? Still it's nice of you to stick up for Wigan.

Just wondering why people keep referring to Whelan as being an 'arsehole?'

Most of his managers always seem to get on with him. He has given a lot of money to Wigan Football Club and he has continually kept them in the Premiership against the odds.

Guess I should clarify 2 things before stating why I think he's an arse. First, I've no problem with him asking whatever he likes for N'Zogbia, it's his job. If he's gone back on his word then thats just another slight on his character but otherwise, no bother. Second, I genuinely don't like many other clubs, players, managers, owners, etc outside of Villa Park, but Wigan and Whelan I have particularly distaste for.

Whelan is an arsehole. As BOF says, he's rather too keen to lick Manchester United's arse and fondle Fergie's balls. But I'd take it further, he's a little too keen to talk to the media at all. Owner's shouldn't be on the telly giving interviews or constantly in the pissing papers. With how often his tongue is up Salford's finest's fundament I surprised he's available so often for comment but he seemingly is.

He's also a man who is a skinflint in the extreme. I remember a newspaper story a few years back that to save cash he was turning off the undersoil heating at Wigan between fixtures, which you don't do because it stops it working so well, which in turn lead to the pitch being even worse than it usually was in winter.

And so on. He's a pointless self celebrating arse whose sole aim is keep a pointless club in the league, which year in year out, he somehow manages, by doing the only thing he knows how, which is flogging players. He may as well open up a business securing the work permits of players from countries you'd struggle to find on a map on flog them as soon as they get off the plane for all the difference it's worth. To really claw at my throat though, it's the apparent fact he views himself as bigger than Wigan. What he does isn't about Wigan, it's about him, or at least thats the impression I get whenever he reels his face from Fergies balls for 5 mins to talk about how great everything he touches is. Including Fergies balls.

Flogging players like we do then :winkold:

So theres nothing really in your post other than personal dislike against the man because as you say he is a 'skinflint' or he likes media attention, or indeed he seems to be rather fond of 'Sir Alec.'

Our own manager seems to be rather fond of 'Sir Alec' as are most of the other managers in the Premiership.

I don't really think your personal opinion automatically make him an asshole though.

To my mind he has done acceptionally well to keep Wigan in the Premiership and he should'nt be criticized for keeping a 'pointless club in the league.'