Houllier - released from contract with FFF

Brumerican

A you happy with Houllier's Appointment?  

628 members have voted

1. 1. A you happy with Houllier's Appointment?

• Oui
    • Non
    • Undecided

I'm very much undecided on Ged, so Yes, he very much has to "win" me, and numerous others, over.

I'd rather he win trophies and take the club forward.

Just out of curiosity , what was your reaction when O'Neill was appointed. Were you as undecided, considering his CV is lighter?

I was largely overjoyed, although I did feel he had not won things at the higehst level, so to degree was still "unproven" at the highest level.

But I thought he could take us forward, initially, yes.

For me, Ged has been out of English football for a long time, and has not managed anywhere for 3 years. He is also not a young man, and had had health problems. His tenure at Scouserpool did not end well.

So that is why, for me, I am undecided on this appt, and will wait before deciding if I think he is the right man for the job.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cant understand how anyone can be dissapointed with Gerards appointment, very good track record. Hasnt been in the Premier League for 6 years but then neither had O'neill before we appointed him.

Houlliers record at Liverpool

P 216

W 108

D 54

L 54

G 354

A 212

Pts 378

O'Neills record at Villa

P 152

W 61

D 53

L 38

G 220

A 179

Pts 236

Interesting that a lot of people have used Heskey in a list of poor Houllier signings. Didnt realise he scored 22 goals in his first season, only two behind Owen.

yep...he was one of the hottest prospects in the country at the time. houllier got his best couple of years out of him then flogged him to blues. agreed people need to get their facts right

Cant understand how anyone can be dissapointed with Gerards appointment, very good track record. Hasnt been in the Premier League for 6 years but then neither had O'neill before we appointed him.

Houlliers record at Liverpool

P 216

W 108

D 54

L 54

G 354

A 212

Pts 378

O'Neills record at Villa

P 152

W 61

D 53

L 38

G 220

A 179

Pts 236

Coincidentally, both have exactly a 25% loss record. Where GH does better is a win record of 50% against MON's 40%. Since 3 points for a win was introduced, too many draws have cost us on numerous occasions. :(

Interesting that a lot of people have used Heskey in a list of poor Houllier signings. Didnt realise he scored 22 goals in his first season, only two behind Owen.

If he can get 22 Goals out of Heskey, the man is genious!

Everyone else has only got 2 or 3 a season out of him, and a good dose of rolling around thrown in. :lol:

When the doubters and the cynics start to moan it is up to the positive majority to sing louder and drown out these negative supporters.

We wont need to, cos i think just because someone has their doubts, does not mean they wont get behind them.

Ive had doubts about players and managers in the past, and will do so in the future, but still back them in the hope they prove me wrong.

It is afterall just an opinion, and not any deep resentment involved here, which is how sky would like to build it has :twisted:

Even Stevie Me is at it...

Steven Gerrard backs Gérard Houllier to be a success at Aston Villa

• Liverpool captain says Frenchman is a 'top manager'

• Midfielder believes Houllier's health is not an issue

Press Association

guardian.co.uk, Thursday 9 September 2010 15.20 BST

Steven Gerrard has said Gérard Houllier was desperate to return to the Premier League. Photograph: Peter Byrne/PA

Steven Gerrard has backed his former Liverpool manager Gérard Houllier to be successful at Aston Villa after revealing the Frenchman was "desperate" to return to the Premier League.

Houllier has finally been confirmed as Martin O'Neill's successor at Villa Park after quitting as technical director of the French Football Federation. He is expected to be formally unveiled at a press conference tomorrow before taking charge for the first time for Monday's league match at Stoke.

Houllier gave Gerrard his debut at Liverpool more than a decade ago and the England captain has nothing but praise for the former France manager who spent six years at Anfield.

"I've still got quite a close relationship with Gérard," said Gerrard. "He gave me my chance at the top level and I certainly learnt an awful lot from him. Aston Villa have got themselves a very good manager and I am not surprised Gérard has come back into the Premier League.

"I know how much he loves football. He has been desperate to get back involved in the Premier League so it is no surprise to me. It has been no surprise to me that Villa have been interested in him because he is a top manager. We had a magnificent year in 2001. He came in and had to change an awful lot of things at Liverpool and that is what he is good at. When he comes in, he knows what he wants, and he knows how to get a winning team."

Houllier suffered with health problems during the latter part of his time with the Reds which led to his assistant, Phil Thompson, having a spell in charge of the team. Gerrard, however, does not think Houllier's health will be a factor.

"I don't think health is a problem for Gérard," he said. "I saw him a few days ago at the Jamie Carragher testimonial at Anfield and he looked superb. He looked really healthy and fresh. I asked him then if he was interested in Aston Villa and he said he was. I really don't think the health will be a problem. I think he will be fine."

Clicky

"I don't think health is a problem for Gérard," he said. "I saw him a few days ago at the Jamie Carragher testimonial at Anfield and he looked superb. He looked really healthy and fresh. I asked him then if he was interested in Aston Villa and he said he was. I really don't think the health will be a problem. I think he will be fine."

Thanks doctor Steven.

Thanks doctor Steven.

I think his 5 years as a manager after his heart scare kind of tells us that "he'll be fine" :)

"I've still got quite a close relationship with Gérard," said Gerrard.

I like to imagine that he's talking about his childhood imaginary friend, who happens to be a version of himself with a moustache and a stripey t-shirt

:lol:

Â