Houllier - released from contract with FFF

Brumerican

A you happy with Houllier's Appointment?  

628 members have voted

1. 1. A you happy with Houllier's Appointment?

• Oui
    • Non
    • Undecided

its not his objective, its his honest opinion. Id say its probably correct. We were 6th, we havent improved, he'll be spending half the year with another managers squad id say we could finish somewhere between 7th and 12th though id like to finish 1st.

This!

Not too sure why that quote was even brought up to show GH in a bad light. It's completely true.

So you will be happy with 12th?

Not happy, no. But i do feel we need to take a step backwards now to go forwards. So i wouldn't be surprised if we finished 12th. Then i'm 100% the next year we'd push on and keep improving. To think a new manager can come in with his own ideas and systems, and then for the team to finish 6th again is partly crazy imo. The team will need to adapt, could take a year for them to do that.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm more than happy with this appointment. I cannot understand some people who seem to think that you can just walk in and get another manager in a job (ref. to David M and Martin J particularly here). Right at the start, the chances of either of those arriving was close to 0%! Jol because Fulham had already failed to bring him back - and I cannot believe Ajax's stance would change. Moyes because he said he wasn't interested!

It didn't leave a long list of candidates. My biggest concern was whether Phil Thompson would be appointed his assistant, but as soon as I heard he'd ruled himself out * which didn't surprise me* then as far as I'm concerned, I think GH is the best man around ATM! He does have a pretty impressive record. Is acknowledged for bringing the likes of Gerrard and Carragher through at L/pool, let alone the young French team he nurtured - Thierry et al.

What I'm interested in is wondering what PT might have to say about this appointment on Sat. because he's already effectively said any manager wanting to come to Villa would be taking on a poisoned chalice. Can't remember the exact words/quote - but I wonder if he is going to say that now GH is in charge, or change his tune completely!? Tosser!

I'm happy to give all new managers a chance - and I think GH is one who will do well enough for us.

its not his objective, its his honest opinion. Id say its probably correct. We were 6th, we havent improved, he'll be spending half the year with another managers squad id say we could finish somewhere between 7th and 12th though id like to finish 1st.

This!

Not too sure why that quote was even brought up to show GH in a bad light. It's completely true.

Isn't he simply saying that we are not in the upper echelons of the PL. No where does he say his objective is to finish 7th-12th. I imagine his objective would ultimately be top 4. Whether we can get there is a different issue. Other than putting us in the 6-8 bracket I can't see what the fuss is.

This!

Not happy, no. But i do feel we need to take a step backwards now to go forwards. So i wouldn't be surprised if we finished 12th. Then i'm 100% the next year we'd push on and keep improving. To think a new manager can come in with his own ideas and systems, and then for the team to finish 6th again is partly crazy imo. The team will need to adapt, could take a year for them to do that.

I agree that we may need to take a backwards step, but to 12th. Jesus wed never recover. 12th is usually 20 - 25 points behind 4th.

Feckin hell people grow up !

Jesus - he is not saying his objective is to finish 12th.

He is basically saying what we have all bloody said over the last 10 yrs. We have become a mid table side !

One that, in the last couple of years has started to challenge, but always failed at the last hurdle. His "year on year objective" is basically to turn that mid table side into a side that doesn't fall away and gets there - ie: Improve year on year.

Do you really think at the age of 63, he would take on all the pressure, as Phil Thomsposn said, work 12 hours a day, be away 4 or 5 nights a week - if he was happy to finish 12th.

And do you think Lerner would have employed him if he said he thought he could get us between 7th and 12th.

Just grow up for god sake and stop trawling the internet for ANY little thing that you could possibly criticise him for, and face the fact - Houlliers WORST league placing was only one place off ONeills BEST !

Using google translation on the whole article and then trying to literally interpret the **** up mess of a translation to use it against GED is a pathetically petty attempt to tarnish his reputation even before he starts his new job, well done fella.

Why has the shit-stirrer olb not been banned yet , considering the single minded determination with which he has set about this task of undermining and criticising the new manager? He clearly has an agenda.

i read that quote as him saying that villa have generally finished between 7th and 12th in the premier league (probably more like 6th-12th) and these are the positions we are expected to finish in, by people oputside villa. So finsihing 13th would be seen as total failiure and finishing 6th is overacheiving, which i would say is about right imo. Therefore villa are not as big a club as liverpool who are expected (rightly or wrongly) to finish at least in the top 6

I think an issue that a lot of the moaners seem to be ignoring, is that we didn't want somebody who would just leave their current job because a "better job" came along.

If we'd gone for Moyes or Jol and they had come to us from their current clubs, we could then be at risk to losing them if a 'bigger job' became available.

My view is that Randy wants continuity at Villa and I'm happy we have Houllier!

My mail from Football 365 Mailbox

Only One Man's Opinion On Houllier Counts

So Gerard Houllier is the new Villa manager, and after initial reservations I'm rather happy that we've appointed such a distinguished manager. The more I looked through his record the more I felt I had misjudged the man because I hate Liverpool and because of the Diouf/Diao/Cheyrou signings debacle. In his first four years at Liverpool the club ended 7th, 4th, 3rd and 2nd. He rebuilt the club from the joke that was the 90's Spice Boys and made Liverpool one of the 'Big Four'. He also won four cups. Then two years at Lyon brought record-breaking points margins for two title wins, albeit with an ultra-dominant team.

So clearly there is something about the man, especially tactically. But the lingering worry is his signings, his record is very hit and miss, the hit's are usually cheap signings Hyypia, Henchoz, McCallester and the misses expensive Diouf, Heskey. But we all know Villa haven't a penny to spend, so he'll have to go do some more shopping in the bargain section. He will have learnt from mistakes (ie. don't buy players who were good at the World Cup) as he signed Squillachi and Toulalan at Lyon, two fine players.

His defensive and counter-attacking football he played at Liverpool will suit the squad he inherits at Villa. Unlike normal managerial appointment when the previous manager leaves a mess to be tidied up, Villa are in no mess, we have a very talented squad in fact. Houllier has a great base to build from and I'm looking forward to see what he can do. Good luck Gerard, despite media reports he has a 90% approval rating in a poll on one Villa message board.

Conor Byrne

Feckin hell people grow up !

Jesus - he is not saying his objective is to finish 12th.

He is basically saying what we have all bloody said over the last 10 yrs. We have become a mid table side !

One that, in the last couple of years has started to challenge, but always failed at the last hurdle. His "year on year objective" is basically to turn that mid table side into a side that doesn't fall away and gets there - ie: Improve year on year.

Do you really think at the age of 63, he would take on all the pressure, as Phil Thomsposn said, work 12 hours a day, be away 4 or 5 nights a week - if he was happy to finish 12th.

And do you think Lerner would have employed him if he said he thought he could get us between 7th and 12th.

Just grow up for god sake and stop trawling the internet for ANY little thing that you could possibly criticise him for, and face the fact - Houlliers WORST league placing was only one place off ONeills BEST !

Im certainly not criticising him. Just disagree with is 7th - 12th club. 6th - 8th would have been fine. But like I said before, it may be a publicity stunt to take the pressure off?

So Gerard Houllier is the new Villa manager, and after initial reservations I'm rather happy that we've appointed such a distinguished manager. The more I looked through his record the more I felt I had misjudged the man because I hate Liverpool and because of the Diouf/Diao/Cheyrou signings debacle. In his first four years at Liverpool the club ended 7th, 4th, 3rd and 2nd. He rebuilt the club from the joke that was the 90's Spice Boys and made Liverpool one of the 'Big Four'. He also won four cups. Then two years at Lyon brought record-breaking points margins for two title wins, albeit with an ultra-dominant team.

So clearly there is something about the man, especially tactically. But the lingering worry is his signings, his record is very hit and miss, the hit's are usually cheap signings Hyypia, Henchoz, McCallester and the misses expensive Diouf, Heskey. But we all know Villa haven't a penny to spend, so he'll have to go do some more shopping in the bargain section. He will have learnt from mistakes (ie. don't buy players who were good at the World Cup) as he signed Squillachi and Toulalan at Lyon, two fine players.

His defensive and counter-attacking football he played at Liverpool will suit the squad he inherits at Villa. Unlike normal managerial appointment when the previous manager leaves a mess to be tidied up, Villa are in no mess, we have a very talented squad in fact. Houllier has a great base to build from and I'm looking forward to see what he can do. Good luck Gerard, despite media reports he has a 90% approval rating in a poll on one Villa message board.

Conor Byrne

I agree, although tbf you could of wrote about the consistency and smell of your last twelve poo's and F365 would of published it. :P

Conor Byrne

I think we do have a penny to spend. Providing the wage bill is at the right percentage, our transfer budget is probably quite big

http://www.lefigaro.fr/football-clubs-etrangers/2010/09/04/02017-20100904ARTSPO00426-houllier-vers-aston-villa.php

Aston Villa is not a club of the same level as Liverpool" he said. "Let's be objective and honest, it is a club which, for me, finds itself between seventh and twelfth place.

Meet your new boss. and his new objective.

At this moment in time, is he not correct?

For the last three weeks, these boards have been full of people making the same prediction for this season. We have not strengthened and have lost one of our more influential players, whilst others around us have strengthened.

Point is, he will have January to make a proper assesment of where he feels he can move us on. Indications are that there is cash available for him, and more will be added if he moves a couple out.

Although i would prefer not to move anybody out to raise cash, our last Manager has set up extornate contracts for some piss poor players, and new manager or not, that has to be addressed.

January is notoriously hard to strengthen. However, at least we now have somebody that will not restrict himself to the UK when looking.

Lets just give him a chance!!!!!

Â