Houllier - released from contract with FFF

Brumerican

A you happy with Houllier's Appointment?  

628 members have voted

1. 1. A you happy with Houllier's Appointment?

• Oui
    • Non
    • Undecided

His new objective is to kidnap and murder o'lbs's family and force him into a like of sex slavery. You'd guess that from the premeditated hatred, anyway.

Not to worry, I'm guessing o'lbs will be going back to school in the next couple of days. Don't forget your packed lunch kid.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is that he is spot on. We are looking like a 7 to 12 team NOW. Chelsea, Man U. Arsenal and City are very likely to be over us. Then there is Spurs and Liverpool - they too look in a strong/stronger position than us. But this is now and it is not written in stone. We can challenge. And I am sure we will.

The problem is that he is spot on. We are looking like a 7 to 12 team NOW. Chelsea, Man U. Arsenal and City are very likely to be over us. Then there is Spurs and Liverpool - they too look in a strong/stronger position than us. But this is now and it is not written in stone. We can challenge. And I am sure we will.

Erm :-

Premier league 2009

Teams

Team P W D L F A GD PTS

1 Chelsea 38 27 5 6 103 32 71 86

2 Man Utd 38 27 4 7 86 28 58 85

3 Arsenal 38 23 6 9 83 41 42 75

4 Tottenham 38 21 7 10 67 41 26 70

5 Manchester City 38 18 13 7 73 45 28 67

6 Aston Villa 38 17 13 8 52 39 13 64

7 Liverpool 38 18 9 11 61 35 26 63

We still have pretty much the same team and so do liverpool, I dont really see liverpool getting much better than last season either.

I can understand why some may be disappointed.

O'Neill was the one 'Name' at the club. He didn't buy 'big name' players, he was the focal point of the team. When he left, there was no one there to really look up to. O'Neill also, still to this day, has a good reputation with the press to a point where it seems that he can't do wrong. We were never going to get such a name - what we may find Houllier doing, is bringing in players with this standing, once he's flogged the crap in our squad, which is better for the team.

He's not been out of football. He's been out of England, but that'd not out of football. Sure, the French team isn't doing so well at the moment.

Players will want to come and play for him though. Good players. Houllier has worked in enough big clubs to know how a club needs to be set up, and I'm sure he'll work at bringing in a structure to the club to allow us to grow and be a bigger club.

I'm also pretty excited to read about the fellow he's bringing with him. Those two, together, won things at Lyon, and it was when they were together that Houllier managed the greater successes at Liverpool. These people are no mugs. They win things.

The chances of signing players not restricted to the Premier League, winning games in March, going into seasons prepared and not leaving signings until the last minute. If we manage to get into Europe whilst he's here, he may take it seriously.

Of course, Houllier might do the same. He may not manage to do some of the things we took for granted at being done well by O'Neill. But it's the excitement that the major gripes of MON's reign for me, could be sorted by Houllier.

I'm not one for telling people to back the club, back x, back y, 'great post' just because it agrees with your personal thoughts, but it'll take a few weeks for him to get to grips with the team and get his philosphy on the pitch. It's fairly obvious that we enquired about Moyes, Jol etc, and as expected at this time of year, they would have told us, as honest men with integrity, that they would have to stay at their clubs. Houllier gives us experience, knowledge and the ability to add something we don't currently have at the club.

I'm looking forward to it.

:thumb:

well said

Erm :-

Premier league 2009

Teams

Team P W D L F A GD PTS

1 Chelsea 38 27 5 6 103 32 71 86

2 Man Utd 38 27 4 7 86 28 58 85

3 Arsenal 38 23 6 9 83 41 42 75

4 Tottenham 38 21 7 10 67 41 26 70

5 Manchester City 38 18 13 7 73 45 28 67

6 Aston Villa 38 17 13 8 52 39 13 64

7 Liverpool 38 18 9 11 61 35 26 63

We still have pretty much the same team and so do liverpool, I dont really see liverpool getting much better than last season either.

Liverpool will be without the workrate of Dirk Kuyt up front as well now for a while i think he is a crucial part of their team imo that new guy Jovanovic doesnt look anything special.

its not his objective, its his honest opinion. Id say its probably correct. We were 6th, we havent improved, he'll be spending half the year with another managers squad id say we could finish somewhere between 7th and 12th though id like to finish 1st.

This!

Not too sure why that quote was even brought up to show GH in a bad light. It's completely true.

I can understand why some may be disappointed.

O'Neill was the one 'Name' at the club. He didn't buy 'big name' players, he was the focal point of the team. When he left, there was no one there to really look up to. O'Neill also, still to this day, has a good reputation with the press to a point where it seems that he can't do wrong. We were never going to get such a name - what we may find Houllier doing, is bringing in players with this standing, once he's flogged the crap in our squad, which is better for the team.

He's not been out of football. He's been out of England, but that'd not out of football. Sure, the French team isn't doing so well at the moment.

Players will want to come and play for him though. Good players. Houllier has worked in enough big clubs to know how a club needs to be set up, and I'm sure he'll work at bringing in a structure to the club to allow us to grow and be a bigger club.

I'm also pretty excited to read about the fellow he's bringing with him. Those two, together, won things at Lyon, and it was when they were together that Houllier managed the greater successes at Liverpool. These people are no mugs. They win things.

The chances of signing players not restricted to the Premier League, winning games in March, going into seasons prepared and not leaving signings until the last minute. If we manage to get into Europe whilst he's here, he may take it seriously.

Of course, Houllier might do the same. He may not manage to do some of the things we took for granted at being done well by O'Neill. But it's the excitement that the major gripes of MON's reign for me, could be sorted by Houllier.

I'm not one for telling people to back the club, back x, back y, 'great post' just because it agrees with your personal thoughts, but it'll take a few weeks for him to get to grips with the team and get his philosphy on the pitch. It's fairly obvious that we enquired about Moyes, Jol etc, and as expected at this time of year, they would have told us, as honest men with integrity, that they would have to stay at their clubs. Houllier gives us experience, knowledge and the ability to add something we don't currently have at the club.

I'm looking forward to it.

Well written and well said, and to think I once castigated you for your opinion I have now found myself agreeing with you on more than one occasion, lets hope we're both right about this

When Gerard manage Lyon in France, what kind of football and system did they use.
I'm not exactly sure on the system, but his Lyon team were dominant and played good football, of course that team had some great players though, Juninho, Govou, Malouda, Diarra.

He played a really strong Milan team in the 1/4 final of the CL and largely outplayed them only to be beaten by two goals in injury time, and in 2006, that Milan team was in it's absolute prime with Shevchenko, Kaka, a fit Nesta etc.

Anybody who can out-play that team is good enough for us.

its not his objective, its his honest opinion. Id say its probably correct. We were 6th, we havent improved, he'll be spending half the year with another managers squad id say we could finish somewhere between 7th and 12th though id like to finish 1st.

This!

Not too sure why that quote was even brought up to show GH in a bad light. It's completely true.

So you will be happy with 12th?

This!

So you will be happy with 12th?

I don't think any Villa fan would be 'happy' with 12th but in this transitional season if we can manage a top 10 finish whilst adapting our playing style and squad to suit our new manager then, whilst not being happy, i wouldn't see it as a massive disappointment.

High praise for a well-respected football man

Some of football's big names speak of their respect for the new Villa manager, Gerard Houllier.

9th Sep 2010

By Dan Harrison

Gerard Houllier is a man of vast experience and knowledge, as well as having outstanding contacts across the football world.

It comes as no surprise that Villa's new boss is so highly thought of by many people he has encountered during his years in the game.

The Frenchman is best known to followers of the Premier League for his spell at Liverpool, when he delivered a unique treble - the UEFA Cup, FA Cup and League Cup - in 2001.

Jamie Carragher, one of England's finest central defenders, brought defensive steel to Houllier's Reds side.

The 32-year-old has made no secret of his own future managerial aspirations and, speaking ahead of his recent testimonial against Everton, the veteran stopper had no doubt who he would be modelling his management style on.

"If I did become a manager, of all the ones I've had, I'd probably be most similar in style to Gerard Houllier," said Carragher.

"He used to lose his temper a little bit - I think I'd lose mine as well!"

Another old Anfield ally, Phil Thompson, had first-hand experience of Houllier's immense knowledge and understanding of the game during his time as Liverpool's assistant manager.

The Sky Sports pundit predicts a "fantastic occasion" when Houllier makes an emotional return to Anfield with Villa on Saturday December 4.

"He has got a wealth of knowledge, knows the game inside out and it will be fantastic occasion when Liverpool tackle Villa at Anfield in the first weekend of December," said the three-time European Cup winner.

One of the previous incumbents of the Villa Park hotseat, Graham Taylor, has encountered Houllier the manager - but also has tremendous respect for Houllier the man.

Taylor, another of football's great elder statesman, found himself up against the new Villa chief when England drew 0-0 with France at Euro 92.

Two-time claret and blues boss Taylor was in charge of England, while Houllier was assisting Les Blues manager Michel Platini.

"Having twice managed Villa, I know the demands," said Taylor. "And I know Gerard. He is a man for whom I have great respect."

Houllier is only Villa's second manager from outside the British Isles - and he will be pleased to enjoy the backing of the club's only other foreign appointment.

Dr Jozef Venglos, who took the reins for a season in 1990, believes Villa and the 63-year-old are a perfectly suited.

The Czech boss was quick to recognise Houllier's standing in world football.

"I am sure that Aston Villa and Gerard Houllier are right for each other," he said.

"It is a very good, well-run football club and Gerard is an excellent, experienced coach so they will work well together.

"He has very good contacts and I know him well through my involvement with UEFA and FIFA.

"I have met him many times and I respect him very much. He has shown his qualities in different countries. I think he will do a good job."

Houllier's remarkable passion for the game was perhaps best summed up by former Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry.

"Football is his life," he said. "The fact he's wanting to get back into the hurly-burly of football at this stage, when he could easily put his feet up, sums him up.

"I have the utmost respect for him and he will bring a wealth of knowledge with him to Villa."

www.avfc.co.uk

Â