Houllier - released from contract with FFF

Brumerican

A you happy with Houllier's Appointment?  

628 members have voted

1. 1. A you happy with Houllier's Appointment?

• Oui
    • Non
    • Undecided

He doesn't mention future ambitions.

He does. He says that we (Villa) ask only one thing, year on year progress (define that however you choose as I think there have been many discussions about what constitutes progress in the last year or two).

The mid-table comments aren't an objective but his assessment of the club.

So randy is looking at Fifth?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course the whole statement is based losely on a crap biased google translation and probalby doesn't reflect what was actually meant at all, at least I hope not.

A bias to Liverpool built into the computer program? Those bastard Google programmers...

Sorry, I was talking about the original poster seeming biased to post something that would be to the detriment of the new manager.

Like you say year on year progress is hard to define. It is not hard to define as such, but my idea of progress may not be the same as yours. I guess the point I am making is that if Gerard Houllier would have said that Villa will be challenging for the title this year, would this have been better for the doubters? It is unrealistic for a club of Villa's present stature. That is not to say that he is not going to give it his best shot though. Nothing will please certain supporters. We are not going to get Mourinho and give him 300 million to spend. The owners are trying to run our club on a sound financial footing.

Agreed.

But they are wrong.

We haven't been a "7th to 12th" club since RL's 2nd year.

3 top 6 finishes suggest Ged is being a tad disingenous with that sentence. Playing down where we are at is perhaps sensible, to make his achievements look better.

But he is wrong, on recent history anyway.

Well a month ago never in a million years would I have thought he would be the next Villa manager his name never even entered my head as a possibility. The more I have read up on him however the more I think that he is the right man for the job and he ticks almost all of the boxes for what we need at the club at this present time. In that regard then I think the board have done very well in choosing the right manager for the right reasons and I hope of course he is now a big success at the club.

I'm glad that we can now get back to football, what really matters at the end of the day, and we can begin to judge him not on the past or preconceived judgements but on what he does at our great club.

I think it will take a bit of time for his influence to truly shine through, but it will be interesting now to see how he works with the present squad, how he sets them up and if he can get them to be a little more tactically and technically astute. I look forward to seeing some of his hopefully more eclectic signings and how his knowledge can help develop the academy and the whole structure of the club to bring the youth through. It will also be interesting to see who he clears out. I think we've got interesting and exiting times ahead then.

I also think that he buys into the club's philosophy and Randy's vision for the club which with his background is I believe good praise for where the club is now. Indeed he even had his own '5 year plan' back when he was at Liverpool. I think Houllier has a winning mentality and he wouldn't have come to the club if he didn't think we could challenge for something, no doubt then that he will understand the club structure that he has to work within and will have been given assurances that he will have some money to spend.

I hope now that all Villa supporters get behind him and give him a fair crack of the whip. This was always going to be a season of transistion but I still expect no less than a top 8 finish and think he will attain that easily. Next season with possibly 5 or 6 signings under his belt I think we can really push on.

He does. He says that we (Villa) ask only one thing, year on year progress (define that however you choose as I think there have been many discussions about what constitutes progress in the last year or two).

Not if you take your starting point as a somewhat bizzare 12th :lol: :winkold:

As per my highlight, I think that's a whole new discussion in itself, mate. :P

15 hours in charge and already this board is in turmoil! :lol:

The 7th-12th comment is obviously to take away the added pressure.

And if everyone hadnt noticed, the media have labelled us over achievers for the last 3 seasons!

The fact is that 4th to 8th is a bit of a lottery, and there's not much between the teams.

Man City and Spuds have got the firepower but the former haven't formed a team yet, and the latter overachieved last season and have distractions this.

Plop are in decline, but can always put up a fight.

Everton have the work ethic.

If we finished 4th I wouldn't be surprised, but then nor would I if we finished 8th.

So you will be happy with 12th?

I don't think any Villa fan would be 'happy' with 12th but in this transitional season if we can manage a top 10 finish whilst adapting our playing style and squad to suit our new manager then, whilst not being happy, i wouldn't see it as a massive disappointment.

I don't see GH saying that he would be happy with 12th either. His interview would appear to suggest that he thinks that we can challenge for something - otherwise he would have stayed with France or taken one of the other opportunities that he spoke about.

But let's remember he can't make any changes to the squad until January. Let's just suppose that Ash and Gabby get injured - who the hell is left to win us any matches? Carew and Heskey up front?

If we had a very bad season then 12th is probably as low as we should fall. There are 8 teams worse than our worst. If we have a good season then I too think that 7th is currently about as good as we can hope for.

That said I am sure that GH has seen enough of us to know that we are really only two or three players off being able to challenge for the 4th - 6th spot.

The fact is that 4th to 8th is a bit of a lottery, and there's not much between the teams.

Man City and Spuds have got the firepower but the former haven't formed a team yet, and the latter overachieved last season and have distractions this.

Plop are in decline, but can always put up a fight.

Everton have the work ethic.

If we finished 4th I wouldn't be surprised, but then nor would I if we finished 8th.

Spot on!

Also, thanks TT! Myself and a few of the lads in the office are £100 odd better off following your instinct last week re: GH!! :)

Right, i have had enough of this. This is now the second time ive heared this on SSN, and its said as if its a fact.

First they asked Big Ron if Houllier "could win over the fans"

Now they have just stated fact like

"But will he win over the fans? We will ask former Villa Player Cyrille Regis"

Are they on crack????????

Get out of your plush fcuking london office and ask us!!! We know you and the other peddlars of crap come on here for stories. so instead of looking at what crap the General has spouted. why not look at the poll on here and other fans forums?

I fcuking hate sky with a passion, they grab something, twist it, then peddle it as fact, and puts the club and its loyal fans in a bad light.

Sky, if you want to see fickle fans. go to Old Trafford, Chelsea, Liverpool. Its not hard to achieve being you are virtually camped outside and saliviating over them!!!!!!! :rant:

Sorry guys, had to be said :oops:

Think you're expecting a bit much there!

Change 4th with 6th and 8th with 10th and i think that's more accurate.

I'm not actually expecting anything as I don't want to finish in a chumps league spot. I just don't think that there is much to choose between the 5 teams.

I just cannot fathom where people get below 8th from.....

Â