Andreas Weimann

Adam2003

Time for Andi to get a go up top?

Agbonlahor-----------------Tonev

---------------Wiemann-------------

No real sweeping changes needed  there, and Andi does look to have enough about him to be a very good front man

Weimann is best out wide cutting in with his workrate

The idea of playing him as an out and out striker is a nono for me

Plus you can't play direct to him either

As a last resort i'd play Gabby up front on his own because he did when MON was in charge but even then id prefer him on the wing

We need a similar physical presence up front to Benteke imo

As a last resort i'd play Gabby up front on his own because he did when MON was in charge but even then id prefer him on the wing

Physically, Bowerey has it. Probably too early though. If he has the ability at all that is.

Benteke's knock downs from Guzan kicks were a big part of our game last season. Weimann and Gabby thrived off them. Think Andi up front on his own would need a whole new way of playing. Perhaps not a bad thing....

Benteke's knock downs from Guzan kicks were a big part of our game last season. Weimann and Gabby thrived off them. Think Andi up front on his own would need a whole new way of playing. Perhaps not a bad thing....

Yeah, it's no wonder Benteke won the most headers last season. I'm a bit worried that we'll need to change the way we play again. Like you said, it may not be a bad thing, but it means another transition period of changing the style of play. Which will probably mean a slow start again.

Edited by PieFacE

Yeah, it's no wonder Benteke won the most headers last season. I'm a bit worried that we'll need to change the way we play again. Like you said, it may not be a bad thing, but it means another transition period of changing the style of play. Which will probably mean a slow start again.

Think the ball up to CB was a good safety valve, particularly when our defenders were so full of mistakes. Not having that presence up there we'd just be giving the ball away if under any pressure at the back. If and when Benteke does go I reckon Lambert will have someone lined up to do the same thing if it's not Helenius.

Still think that if Benteke leaves we should play Weimann up top. He looked excellent from the limited highlights against Paderborn playing as the lone striker. Made a lot of intelligent runs, scored a good goal and could have had another. We could play Tonev and Gabby on either side of him, and maybe Helenius behind him...doesn't sound too bad eh? :)

Who would hold the ball up or win the aerial battles that Benteke does for us right now?

I think we would have to change. Last season we became a bit one dimensional towards the end. Not surprising given Bentekes ability in the air but I remember a couple of games where the most completed pass combinations were Guzan to Benteke.

If Benteke is sold the money should be reinvested in a quality striker.

We shouldn't put the pressure on weimman in only his second full season at the club. Let him play out wide where he had a great season and continue to develop.

I disagree about Weimann. I think he is wasted out wide for a long time he was going missing in games when being put out wide as its just not his position. Weimanns best games imo worked best when he was up top with Benteke, they were creating a superb partnership at one point. (The Liverpool game comes to mind)

I think every now and then it could work to have Weimann up front, especially if we go a bit direct. One thing that really annoyed me last season was we would put Benteke up top by himself boot the ball up to him for him to flick on and Gabby and Andi would be on the flanks rather than behind Benteke to receive the flick on.

Tonev       Helenius       Gabby

Weimann

Could work imo, especially direct as Helenius could flick on to Andi. I wouldn't want to see it all the time and we would certainly need another Striker, but I think this could work quite well, with Helenius pushing up into a 4-4-2 when need be to create a partnership with Andi

• Like 1

Did anyone see how serious it looked? 

looks like he hurt his ribs, but thats only what Dan said on the commentry on OS.

Yeah! just seen it on AVTV,  Villa highlights lasted 2.21Mins Lamberts interview over 3Mins, what has happened to AVTV, i hope the whole game is played on there later otherwise a lot of people will get really annoyed.

Â