Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

I'm not convinced that he was told about any grand plans, or that he needed to be.

Ultimately we're a pretty good match for Delph: Almost guaranteed to start when fit, big club with potential and he's settled in locally.

I do think that we've got very good squad morale, despite everything, and there are some diamond geezers at the club (I'm thinking of Guzan, Okore, Sanchez, Grealish, Weimann and Delph himself).

I also think that Lambert is the kind of manager a player likes to have: No public criticisms and a steady confidence and resilience that players need when times are tough.

This sounds like it's a remarkably buoyant atmosphere for the squad. I guess that all compensates for the fact that we rarely score any goals, let alone win games. :)

Which makes it all the more remarkable and encouraging. I think Lambert is quite right to believe that goals will come. It's not as though anyone is doing anything obviously wrong, confidence is the missing piece. When confidence returns we'll be a very strong side imo.

I'm not convinced that he was told about any grand plans, or that he needed to be.

Ultimately we're a pretty good match for Delph: Almost guaranteed to start when fit, big club with potential and he's settled in locally.

I do think that we've got very good squad morale, despite everything, and there are some diamond geezers at the club (I'm thinking of Guzan, Okore, Sanchez, Grealish, Weimann and Delph himself).

I also think that Lambert is the kind of manager a player likes to have: No public criticisms and a steady confidence and resilience that players need when times are tough.

This sounds like it's a remarkably buoyant atmosphere for the squad. I guess that all compensates for the fact that we rarely score any goals, let alone win games. :)

Which makes it all the more remarkable and encouraging. I think Lambert is quite right to believe that goals will come. It's not as though anyone is doing anything obviously wrong, confidence is the missing piece. When confidence returns we'll be a very strong side imo.

I agree. This squad is underperforming at the moment and surely that can't go on for a full season. I really really hope that we can finally get some of our confidence back, and I'm very happy that Delph has decided to stick it out with us. Awesome news.

Confidence and Gil. 

I agree with the comments saying he must have been given assurances that we're going to kick on next season. Maybe he's been told that with Bent and Herd's contracts finishing, and possibly a few players out the door (Zog if he avoids injury? Tonev, Luna etc), that we're going to buy some more decent players like Sanchez and Gil.

We need a chant for him! We can't have a future captain without a decent song.

I know a few years ago there was 'Fabian Delph, I wanna be Fabian Delph' to the tune of 'All By Myself' and there was 'Delph, I need somebody, Delph, not just anybody' to the tune of 'Help'. But now he needs a new chant, a good, original catchy one that people will join in with!

Must have been given some assurances about the direction of the club surely?

Just came in here to post that. "Wanting to get through the season" and "the upcoming years will be big". Blind faith in Lambert and the club or has he been given assurances that this is the place to be?

It's doubtful anything is in place but the club IS up for sale. Maybe Fabian is astute enough to know that not only is he getting a fat wedge of cash to stay, not only has he the ability to go on to be a legend here (a club he professes to love) but we will also not be in this predicament forever. He sounds willing to give it time at least, so well done to whoever sold him the bright future schtick about 5 years after it went out of date!

Well done to Fabian too, can't wait to see him fully focused again and back in action.

• Like 2

''He does'nt want to go,anywhere else

He's staying at the Villa,he's Fabian Delph.''

To the tune of 'I touch myself' by Divinyls.

Like it.  Maybe simplify it to a bit closer to the original lyrics though:

He doesn't want, anybody else,

He's staying at the Villa, Fabian Delph"

• Like 1

What you do in your spare time is your business but please we have a few kids on here! :P

What you do in your spare time is your business but please we have a few kids on here! :P

If you haven't seen the video to that you might want to Google it.  Not at work though.  The Top of the Pops performance was pretty good as well.

Nothing makes me happier than news that shuts up the arm chair, twitter, FM, never kicked a ball dross that plagues these boards.

Oh wind your neck in. Other people have different opinions, get over it.

Oh you told me didn't you! Nar there is no opinions with the crowd I mentioned. Just football manager, made up toss.

Nothing makes me happier than news that shuts up the arm chair, twitter, FM, never kicked a ball dross that plagues these boards.

Oh you told me didn't you! Nar there is no opinions with the crowd I mentioned. Just football manager, made up toss.

Well somebody's a happy little chappy today aren't they?  Most people are happy we scored, won a game and are keeping one of our better players.  Some people are seemingly happier having a pop at other fans though.  Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Yup, FM just made up toss, totally worthless as any sort of gauge of players...

oh wait, some clubs actually use it http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/aug/12/why-clubs-football-manager-scouting-tool

He has been told something; reassured something at the very least.

Here is the audio clip from both Tom Fox and Delph today at the press conference.

The end bit was interesting I thought.

http://www.freeradio.co.uk/news/sport/delph-eyes-bright-villa-future/

the "how far I thought we could go?" stuff from Fox you mean? yeah interesting, I would really like to know the details of that conversation! we'll just have to wait and find out I spose! 

Here is the audio clip from both Tom Fox and Delph today at the press conference.

Does sound like he's been sold some sort of a brighter future. It's positive that he's so close with Lerner as well, say what you want about Lerner but he's an honest man and I don't think he'd have sold Fabian down the river if there wasn't going to be some follow through.

Delph should be the captain next season whether Vlaar is here or not.  

I hope he doesn't get complacent, he still needs to improve his game IMO.

No chance of that happening in my opinion. Delph has a fantastic attitude. I have heard him say on a number of occasions that he is really close to Stan Petrov and you can see that Stans never give less than 100% attitude has rubbed off on him.

As others have said regardless of whether Vlaar stays or goes this lad should be made captain now.

Edited by markavfc40

I hope he doesn't get complacent, he still needs to improve his game IMO.

No chance of that happening in my opinion.

Which bit, getting complacent or improving his game?!

Â