Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

He was rushed back from injury for the last World Cup though and he hasn't been given any chances by Hodgson.

Don't laugh but I'd rather see Westwood go as backup to Gerrard. 9 years younger than Barry

Younger, yes. Anywhere near as good, no.

He was rushed back from injury for the last World Cup though and he hasn't been given any chances by Hodgson.

Don't laugh but I'd rather see Westwood go as backup to Gerrard. 9 years younger than Barry

Younger, yes. Anywhere near as good, no.

Potentially as good? imo, yes, and that's what I think England have to deal with, players who could potentially be England stars.

Hence why Delph should go to Brazil, he could become a really important player for both club and country, and England need to give international experience to these guys now, especially if we want to win Euro 2016, which is what we should currently be focusing on as we have no chance at winning in Rio.

• Like 1

The position he makes the most sense in is his current one the left side of a 3 man midfield where he's the most advanced of the 3 without really being an am. It's probably part of the reason he's flourishing so much.

Not looking to be petty, but if this is in response to my post that he doesn't fit a traditional positional role, I think you agreed with me.

"The left side of a three man midfield". How often does hodgeson play a 3 man midfield? Especially one where the left sided is "the most advanced of the 3 without really being an am". Playing someone in that role would disrupt the whole set up. That's my point. Again, I like Delph, think he's excellent, he just doesn't fit any traditional role which makes it hard on a manager.

Where does Wilshire play if you don't mind me asking? If Wilshire played for AVFC, he wouldn't be anywhere near the England squad. I can't remember watching a game thinking how good a player is Wilshire.

I would be really disappointed to see Delph get picked to go to Brazil.  It could be the breaking of him as a Villa player as I see there being more of a chance of it working out badly than well.  As many have said this England side are one very average group and there is very little positivity around them.  All I can see is the risk of physical injury after a long season, or mental scarring of having to share a living space with Wayne Rooney (or possibly like Carson after a bad performance).  I would rather Delph got the chance to have a bit of a rest this summer (after his first real full season for Villa) then come back and continue to improve as he has done this season.  Very selfish of me I know as I'm sure if you asked Delph he would love to get a call up, but ce la vie.

I've been a fan of the lad since he joined the club, but he would be better served in my eyes not being a part of the current England set up.  Maybe in 2 years for the Euros when Gerrard and Lampard are out of the picture and a new generation can really make their claim.

Potentially as good? imo, yes, and that's what I think England have to deal with, players who could potentially be England stars.

I see where you are coming from to an extent but then the player being picked on potential still has to be of international quality and also has to be not far off the level of the player that they would keep out. Which I don't believe Westwood is on both accounts.

I love having Delph in our side, and I think he's one of our best players, but...... Jesus, not the "Jack Wilshere is crap" stuff again!

Let's get this straight, Jack Wilshere is better than any of our midfielders including Delph (I would say with the exception of Delph, he is MUCH better than our midfielders).

I hate all the rubbish that Hodgson won't pick him because he plays for Villa - he isn't getting picked because he needs to pass the ball better, not get caught in possession of the ball in dangerous areas, and not lunge into tackles. When I say he needs to improve, I mean at the elite level which international football is....

• Like 1

Technically, Jack Wilshere is arguably the best English player I've seen. Why anybody would label him as 'crap' is beyond me.

Yes I agree. I don't think he's as good as Ramsey but he's Welsh of course.

Technically, Jack Wilshere is arguably the best English player I've seen. Why anybody would label him as 'crap' is beyond me.

Wait.. Jack Wilshere is the most technically gifted English player you've seen?

Yes, I think so. Obviously English players generally aren't very strong technically so I'm hard-pressed to think of one better.

Yes, I think so. Obviously English players generally aren't very strong technically so I'm hard-pressed to think of one better.

Le Tissier

Le Tissier

Paul Scholes.

Trevor Francis.

That other bloke from the 70s.

Â