Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

The position he makes the most sense in is his current one the left side of a 3 man midfield where he's the most advanced of the 3 without really being an am. It's probably part of the reason he's flourishing so much.

• Like 1

It's getting a bit late in the game to think that Hodgson has an open mind about Delph or anyone else he hasn't already penciled in to take to Brazil. It'll take an injury or two to see Delph in an England shirt, IMO.

To say he's not ready for England is a joke. Look at half the ponys we have in the national side. There's way too many. Many who don't deserve their place. Capello called players up on form. Hodgson picks you if your one of the big boys or have stupid amounts of hype around you (lambert, Rodriguez, Barkley etc.).

Delph deserves a chance to show what he has to offer. For all we know he could be a hit. He may be a flop. He's a footballer playing week in week out in the PL and as we all know on most weeks he's our best player.

Cleverly, Osman, Smalling, wellbeck..... These four as an example. You say Fabian isn't ready for England. I'm guessing you think these four are then? Making them better players than Fabian? No. Sorry not buying it.

You play good enough you deserve a shot and chance in a friendly. Simple as. The man in charge is a tool so it's never seen that way anymore. Fergie plays him? He must be good. Their where in the league? He must be good. What papers are talking him up? He must be good. That's how it works now and it's a joke

Fabian deserves his call up. In the mean time it's England's loss. Aston villas gain.

An international manager will not call up a central midfielder who plays in a side that frequently average 30-40% possession. It's just not going to happen.

Until we look like we control matches regularly, and Delph and Westwood are able to do that, then the call ups will come.

The England manager isn't going to be playing with 10 men behind the ball and in a quick counter attack style the way we frequently do.  

• Like 2

As it is now, Delph is my pots this year. He's been the most consistantly good player, IMO. Well done, young Fabian! I had high hopes for you when you came here I was patience and just when my patience had come to an end you showed that I never should've lost faith in you.

• Like 1

If it is any consolation, Barry isn't getting a look-in under Hodgson and he has been excellent this season.

Yes but in fairness Barry has had his chances and was a bit of a disaster in the last world cup. I can understand why Hodgson is not picking him. I think its a bit late for Delph to get called up now but I think he's a definate futiure England player. We just need to get him signed up on a new contract.

If you look at the Man City forum they cant believe they let Barry go, and Everton forum reckon he's one of the players of the season. He should have far more caps than he has.But anyway, Delph must be in for a shout. 

But I reckon the England squad is picked by Simon Cowell. Big name for a media club, pick them. Then we'll have a talent show. Jack Rodwell, big him up, xmas single. contract to sit on the bench a Man City, then move on to the next one, probably Andros Townsend and Barkeley head to head. Big contracts to them, then move on. 

He was rushed back from injury for the last World Cup though and he hasn't been given any chances by Hodgson.

Don't laugh but I'd rather see Westwood go as backup to Gerrard. 9 years younger than Barry

Edited by PaulC

The position he makes the most sense in is his current one the left side of a 3 man midfield where he's the most advanced of the 3 without really being an am. It's probably part of the reason he's flourishing so much.

Not looking to be petty, but if this is in response to my post that he doesn't fit a traditional positional role, I think you agreed with me.

"The left side of a three man midfield". How often does hodgeson play a 3 man midfield? Especially one where the left sided is "the most advanced of the 3 without really being an am". Playing someone in that role would disrupt the whole set up. That's my point. Again, I like Delph, think he's excellent, he just doesn't fit any traditional role which makes it hard on a manager.

Not looking to be petty, but if this is in response to my post that he doesn't fit a traditional positional role, I think you agreed with me.

"The left side of a three man midfield". How often does hodgeson play a 3 man midfield? Especially one where the left sided is "the most advanced of the 3 without really being an am". Playing someone in that role would disrupt the whole set up. That's my point. Again, I like Delph, think he's excellent, he just doesn't fit any traditional role which makes it hard on a manager.

If you both feel he doesn't fit a specific standard role for a footballer, but he is being played in the best position at the moment for him to shine, would it be fair to say that Lambert is building a team around him?

Maybe... But I'm not sure. Another possibility is that Lambert's task (thus far at least) has been to cut the waste while keeping us up, and he's just putting the affordable talent to the best possible use.

I think I'm reading Delph's actions as a player well, but guessing at someone's motives is much less certain.

I don't think he should make the England squad, that was just an observation on his abiltiies and fit as a player.

Â