Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

But which English midfielders besides Carrick, Gerrard, Wilshere and Henderson deserve to be called up ahead of him?

I'm not convinced that Michael Carrick is invaluable to the fortunes of the England team. 

Same. I do like Henderson though. I would call him underrated but he was signed for a fortune.

Anybody who's played the game will know that skill isn't difficult at all. If the ball is behind you it's just instinctive you do that. Compared to Benteke's overhead for example that was just self-made magic that only a few would even try let alone pull it off.

I will add it was very insulting to ask "did he mean to do it"? What a daft question. "No I accidentally maneuvered my legs that way"

The cross was a poor one but a good one to pull off a goal like that. 

"Anybody who's played the game"

Well I've "played the game" and can confirm that it is not easy to do so..............

• Like 1

Delph has finally had the recognition he deserves.  He's in Garth Crooks team of the week.

That's nothing - Mr Blobby would make it into the team if he scored a goal like Deplh did - apparently anyone can score a goal like that - it's so easy peasy lemon squeezy!

• Like 1

Just on the Delph for for England theme.

He is improving all the time but his main weakness at the mo is either losing possession in the wrong place or trying the wrong pass at the wrong time. Some of his decision making on passing, in particular inaccurate cross field balls which against the better international teams would be fatal.

Improve on that and he's a definite replacement for Gerrard.

• Like 1

He is improving all the time but his main weakness at the mo is either losing possession in the wrong place or trying the wrong pass at the wrong time. Some of his decision making on passing, in particular inaccurate cross field balls which against the better international teams would be fatal.

I agree, and also think his tendancy for a rash tackle (although I think this is an area that he has massively improved upon).

I agree, and also think his tendancy for a rash tackle (although I think this is an area that he has massively improved upon).

Yep, he used to be a guaranteed yellow card per game.

Yes, his improvement is pleasing to see.

Still has a way to go to be considered international standard but if he keeps going in this direction the call up will follow.

Not as long as Hodgson is England manager.

MIDFIELDER - Fabian Delph (Aston Villa)
_73620105_fabiandelph(astonvilla).jpg

Finally Aston Villa got what they deserved against Chelsea and Fabian Delph was at the centre of everything they did well with his energy and work-rate. I saw Paul Lambert's team play Chelsea off the park at Stamford Bridge earlier in the season and got nothing for all their hard work.

They were even better at Villa Park and Delph was the star of the show. I know Guy Mowbray asked the midfielder in his post-match interview whether he meant his Cruyff flick for his goal. The look of disbelief on Delph's face was a picture - he definitely intended it.

Did you know? Fabian Delph had not scored in any of his 50 Premier League appearances for Aston Villa before this season, but has now scored three in 26 in 2013-14.

From Garth Crooks (BBC) Team of the week.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

That goal was hard to score for so many reasons.

His athletic ability to get his body shape right, after a burst from midfield, after 80 minutes when the ball is behind you, is amazing. If you look at the HD video, he is basically airborne until a nanosecond before he makes contact with the ball and plants his right foot perfectly to give him the balance not to fall on his arse, trip up his own feet, or kick the ball the opposite way. And that takes no account of the pressure of the situation (on TV; vs Chelski; team desparate for the points; home crowd; etc).

Yep, most of us have tried tricks when playing, and with enough attempts, will have done something that looks great (I have scored from the halfway line - when I couldn't run anymore; I have scored an overhead kick - when we were winning by loads and starting to showboat). Fab had one shot to score in a massive game, and he **** nailed it.

And how Carrick, Cleverly, and even Lampard and Wilshere on current form, get in ahead of him is a mystery to me.

It makes my knee hurt just thinking about flicking the ball like Delph did whilst running at a good pace.

Actually, it makes *both* my knees hurt... the standing leg because of the twisting and bracing it has to do, and the kicking leg because of the lightening-quick inward flick.

I don't think I could do that movement even without worrying about hitting a ball with one foot - let alone hitting the target...

Deft, instinctive, and athletic. Super goal. Super player.

Edited by Intercourse_The_Penguin
  • Like 1

Delph is a strange one... he dribbles and attacks the defender like he could play the wing, but his crosses aren't that great.

He has the ability to possess the ball in traffic so he could play an AM, but his vision and pass selection aren't that great.

He can finish, but he's prone to hitting them wide to be a pure striker.

He can tackle and break up play, but he's too prone to the rash yellow to play DM (for long)

He's fun to watch, I'm glad he's in our team, but he's not really ideally suited to any of the standard roles you expect in a team.

I think that's what will keep him home from Brazil.  Just not certain which stereotypical role he really fits.  So anywhere you play him, changes the team dynamic considerably.

• Like 1

To say he's not ready for England is a joke. Look at half the ponys we have in the national side. There's way too many. Many who don't deserve their place. Capello called players up on form. Hodgson picks you if your one of the big boys or have stupid amounts of hype around you (lambert, Rodriguez, Barkley etc.).

Delph deserves a chance to show what he has to offer. For all we know he could be a hit. He may be a flop. He's a footballer playing week in week out in the PL and as we all know on most weeks he's our best player.

Cleverly, Osman, Smalling, wellbeck..... These four as an example. You say Fabian isn't ready for England. I'm guessing you think these four are then? Making them better players than Fabian? No. Sorry not buying it.

You play good enough you deserve a shot and chance in a friendly. Simple as. The man in charge is a tool so it's never seen that way anymore. Fergie plays him? He must be good. Their where in the league? He must be good. What papers are talking him up? He must be good. That's how it works now and it's a joke

Fabian deserves his call up. In the mean time it's England's loss. Aston villas gain.

• Like 1

He is a bit of a paradox at times, but very exciting IMO....his mazy runs can cause havoc.

He has a bit of a gangly approach, like tommy Hutchison and Steve highway, albeit they were wingers.

I like this lad a lot and I think some of the rough edges as some posters have pointed out, will be ironed out.

Looking forward to watching him develop.

Â