Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

Said this exact comment 2weeks ago: I'm getting more and more worried he hasn't signed a new contract yet!

Delph and his agent are in the driving seat, he is performing well and would have his pick of clubs if he was to leave at the end of next season should his performances continue. That may very well happen should we not be willing to keep paying him what we are now.

Said this exact comment 2weeks ago: I'm getting more and more worried he hasn't signed a new contract yet!

Delph and his agent are in the driving seat, he is performing well and would have his pick of clubs if he was to leave at the end of next season should his performances continue. That may very well happen should we not be willing to keep paying him what we are now.

So that would put us in the driving seat then; on how willing we are to pay him.

Delph owes us and has gone on record to say as such.

We stood by him both as a club and a set of fans (generally) through difficult times, even giving him a new contract whilst in the midst of the injuries.

He won't leave unless we want to cash in which I don't think we will for a while yet.

I actually think there's a chance that he might be here for the next 8 or 9 years.

• Like 1

I´ll be pretty disappointed if Delph doesnt sign a new contract, afterall we have stood by him during hard times, injuries and so on for a good number of years. That said I´d also be disappointed if Villa didnt offer him a contract on at least the terms hes on now.

We stood by him both as a club and a set of fans (generally) through difficult times, even giving him a new contract whilst in the midst of the injuries.

He won't leave unless we want to cash in which I don't think we will for a while yet.

I actually think there's a chance that he might be here for the next 8 or 9 years.

I hope you are right about him wanting to stay, I guess with his previous injury problems the club were hesitant to see if he could perform and give value for the money he has earned to date on his contract. You can't blame the club for that, as he has only really started performing this season after three or so years of injuries, and if he is one of the top earners at the club they are going to struggle to justify offering a similar deal. Now he looks to have overcome his major injury concerns and has been performing well, maybe the club can look to offer him a similar deal.

However, as much as I would like to believe Fabian about him owing the club,  I seem to remember Downing saying similar things about owing the club for standing by him when injured, and we all know how that turned out. With his displays this season, and his contract running down there are bound to be a few potential suitors for him, and they may be willing to offer better wages than we can which could turn his head.

I have also heard him say things about the club believing in him even though he was injured witch means he "owes" us. But to be honest even if he get a better offer from another club I don't think Delph will ever leave Villa. He seems to be a Villa through and through in my eyes.. I really hope he signs a new contract soon but at the same time I'm not worried as something is telling me he will stay with us! 

• Like 1

I hope you are right about him wanting to stay, I guess with his previous injury problems the club were hesitant to see if he could perform and give value for the money he has earned to date on his contract. You can't blame the club for that, as he has only really started performing this season after three or so years of injuries, and if he is one of the top earners at the club they are going to struggle to justify offering a similar deal. Now he looks to have overcome his major injury concerns and has been performing well, maybe the club can look to offer him a similar deal.

However, as much as I would like to believe Fabian about him owing the club,  I seem to remember Downing saying similar things about owing the club for standing by him when injured, and we all know how that turned out. With his displays this season, and his contract running down there are bound to be a few potential suitors for him, and they may be willing to offer better wages than we can which could turn his head.

Very different examples though Downing - Delph

Downing joined us having already established himself at 'the top' and was quite a bit older I think, the injuries are also incomparable, Downing - broken foot, Delph - multiple cruciate injuries

Delph knows we could easily have tossed him aside, many other clubs may well have done so, he's pretty much said all this himself as well on record and I just get the feeling with him that despite it all he remains a fairly down to earth kind of character.

Whereas Downing is a parasitic piece of shit who honestly I was not displeased to see the back of - anyone else remember his half arsed attempts at tackling and tracking back?!!?

I hope you are correct as I like Delph aswell , it is just that Downing is one of many players over the years who have learned the skills of pr and saying the right things in the press while meanwhile working an escape in the background. I guess they are doing as instructed by their agents who in reality see the player as a good way to line their own pockets. Anyway, lets think positive, fingers crossed he soon puts his signature on a new deal with us and continues to improve his game.

Downing had a good season under Houllier. Was probably our best player that season. However they are different people and I think Delph is very happy with us. Anyway Downing's career went downhill after he left us. The grass is not always greener elsewhere.

The club was at the end of a "cycle" (the O'Neill era) when it decided to cut its losses on various O'Neill signings.  We are in a new cycle now and I can't see anyone being sold.  

It seems to me as though, because we have all but guaranteed our league safety, people are now looking for something else to needlessly worry and stress about.  I'm very much looking forward to the summer and seeing who we add to the squad - enjoy the ride folks and stop needlessly stressing.

• Like 1

Â